U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 PM

28 posts, read 35,056 times

Advertisements

I can't hack it here in CA, so I'm considering moving to either Arizona or NM. I want to live somewhere that is naturey and warm year-round with a slower pace of life, so central or southern NM might be best for me. And I understand that the state has dry heat, not the horrible humid heat thing that Texas has. Is that correct?

What I would like is some suggestions of towns that would be best for me. I need someplace safe because I am female and like to be able to walk alone at night. Also, I understand there is some widespread poverty, so I'm curious about the job market. I have a bachelor's degree and would like a laid-back white-collar job, but I'd be ok working in retail if I can live on it. I don't care about being poor as long as I have food and a roof over my head. I don't want to live somewhere where people are super socially conservative or very religious. I want my neighbors to be laid-back people who don't care what I'm doing.

Most of the towns seem small, which is good, but I would also like to live somewhere that isn't so far off or spread out that I'm marooned without a car. I would like to get rid of or at least rarely have to use my vehicle at some point. I don't go out much, just for groceries and other necessities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM

713 posts, read 1,573,860 times
Southern NM seems to meet most of your wishes except it is the conservative part of the state. I don't know much about living in Southern NM, but I do know it is pretty conservative.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 AM

49 posts, read 86,400 times
They don't call the VERY conservative SE corner of New Mexico, "Little Texas" for nothing.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM

23,933 posts, read 38,411,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkid View Post
I can't hack it here in CA, so I'm considering moving to either Arizona or NM. I want to live somewhere that is naturey and warm year-round with a slower pace of life, so central or southern NM might be best for me. And I understand that the state has dry heat, not the horrible humid heat thing that Texas has. Is that correct?
Yes, New Mexico has a dry heat, low humidity generally. And many enjoy the "naturey" feel to it. But warm year around it is not. We have been having freezing temperatures here in the Albuquerque area. But the cold is not the issue for many of us, it us the winds that get irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkid View Post
Most of the towns seem small, which is good, but I would also like to live somewhere that isn't so far off or spread out that I'm marooned without a car.
Yes, there are a lot of small towns, but they may be spread apart quite a distance.

If possible, you might consider coming out for a visit. New Mexico is a large state (Fifth largest land wise), with few people, 2 million or so.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM

55 posts, read 148,112 times
I just relocated to NM and, like you, wanted something with mild winters. Some of the locations south of I-40 I considered seriously were:

• Alamogordo
  • Silver City
  • Truth or Consequences
I discovered there was no place in NM with winters that were assuredly warm, but relative to my home state of Missouri, all were warmer - and sunnier - and that winter sun makes a big difference in a long winter.

I chose Alamogordo of the three because:
  • Largest population (~30k)
  • More diverse age range than the other two
  • Close to mountains, state parks, and national public lands
  • Close to military bases, suggesting a more stable economy than the other communities
  • Relatively close to larger cities such as El Paso or Las Cruces, both within 2 hours

What I sacrificed was a more central location, such as TC, that makes more NM points of interest convenient to me.

Alamogordo has been a good choice for me; ymmv. It's a very walkable city. Mountain trails are minutes away by car. And very importantly, the folks in Alamogordo perceive their city to be safe. That perception says a lot to me, because often residents of a community think their community is more dangerous than it really is.

Las Cruces is a good choice for many - a lot broader cultural life (than what's in smaller communities), a large university presence, good location for day trip starting points. It just didn't do it for me.

Hope this helps.

BTW, city-data website was helpful in providing me with demographic, employment, crime, and climate data that I sought in making my relocation decision.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM

12,761 posts, read 24,264,497 times
Carless in NM? I think that's a bit difficult. I'm sure people go without cars in areas of Albuquerque, but don't know if woman walk alone for pleasure and business in peace there. Maybe someone with current experience could say.
Offhand, I think OP might be looking for some place other than NM, but that comes from my own biased experience and stories told to me by a couple of women from academia.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM

10,376 posts, read 8,260,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboneair View Post
They don't call the VERY conservative SE corner of New Mexico, "Little Texas" for nothing.
Thank God.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM

41,506 posts, read 49,187,551 times
Default Car less?

New Mexico is huge. I agree with visiting before you move. Also go to the state web site for tourist and relocation information. I highly suggest the Benchmark map cos road and Recreation Atlas for great maps and good general information.

New Mexico towns tend to be small (except for cities like Albuquerque, Las Cruces, etc) so being carless would tend to restrict you to that town unless there is a bus service to the bigger places. One alternative to a car is a mid size maxi scooter. Small enough to be easy to ride, large enough to carry groceries and fast enough to not be a traffic hazard on the main roads.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,321,626 times
You might want to check this out as part of your decision making:

Most Dangerous Campuses List: Business Insider 2012

For some reason El Paso is safer than parts of near-by New Mexico.

You won't have to worry about conservatives in NM though, they're few and far between, it's a very liberal state.

Last edited by malamute; 11-26-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM

5,473 posts, read 5,416,064 times
Las Cruces would be the warmest with your best chance of getting a decent job. They have a bus system there and they have places to walk (not the most scenic paths but with spectacular views). LC has a lot of junky parts of town but you can find a decent place to live for not very much and the east Mesa has some really nice areas that have nice apartments that I think are reasonably priced.

You can get a small house in LC for 80 to 100k pretty easily as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or