Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM

471 posts, read 977,336 times

Advertisements

You might want to think of getting a rv/trailer and pulling it to a rv park of your chosing to live in for the winter months. Then, when you are ready to go back north, you could put the rv in one of the hundreds of fenced self storage places around and not worry about it while you are gone. No taxes, no worrys, alot of parks have monthly rates that inlude wi-fi and all utilities, some even have pools. You may even want to do the same thing with a small car or truck to have handy just drive around NM while you are here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM

391 posts, read 906,681 times
Greg, although I'm not an educator, the university environment is another reason we like Mesilla. NMSU campus is a mile or so away, so there are events of all kinds as well as a heaping helping of well educated, interesting people spread all over the area. It just adds to the variety and culture, making it more vibrant and interesting.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
You might want to think of getting a rv/trailer and pulling it to a rv park of your chosing to live in for the winter months. Then, when you are ready to go back north, you could put the rv in one of the hundreds of fenced self storage places around and not worry about it while you are gone. No taxes, no worrys, alot of parks have monthly rates that inlude wi-fi and all utilities, some even have pools. You may even want to do the same thing with a small car or truck to have handy just drive around NM while you are here..
I"ve had people tell me that the searing summer heat for months on end really took a toll on the ol' RV in an open fenced lot.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Ccb

Looks like La Mesilla just got put on the Places of Interest List.

Thanks, GregW

Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
The house we're renting in Alamogordo has a carport, thank goodness. To keep that sun fade on the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS to a minimum.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Mesilla would be nicer in winter for sure. Have you thought about Silver City? They have a small university, but I don't know if they have what you are after. The other possible negative is the distance to larger towns.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Looks like La Mesilla just got put on the Places of Interest List.

Thanks, GregW
It's worth a look. Much smaller than Socorro, but Las Cruces is very close by. We love small towns and so Mesilla is perfect for us. A very pleasing blend of long time farming families, university people, business people, and the creative types that make a place vibrant and always interesting.
www.oldmesilla.org
Mesilla, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Winter warmth in NM

I just noted it was below freezing in Socorro and might be snowing in Las Cruces. No matter, we have about a foot on snow on the ground and it was below zero on my deck this morning. However they expect the day to warm up to the low forties while this place will stay below freezing.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Yeah, NM is enduring an usually cold bit of weather the last couple days - it's currently 12 deg at my home in eastern ABQ this morning.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
We're at Motel 6 in Dillon, MT, right now. It is about 0 degrees but the roads are clear. I'm gonna take off in about an hour and hopefully make it to Alamogordo late, late tonight. Orientation at work in Alamogordo will start early in the morning on Monday unless I can drive about 1,100 miles today. I don't think that's gonna happen!

Clear roads from Coeur d' Alene, ID, all the way to here yesterday, though, thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico