U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 AM

27 posts, read 87,112 times
Smile Relocating to Northern New Mexico

Hey I posted on here once before....I was just wondering if anyone else had any imput in where a nice small city in northern new mexico would be. Cold weather would be great and cheap We dont want anything big at all were comming from San Antonio and we have had enough of the big city thing!! So if any one could give me information on any cities you would think were good please let me know. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 AM

699 posts, read 1,933,247 times
1) Taos
2) Red River
3) Los Alamos
4) Santa Fe

All four are absolutely gorgeous and provide an exceptional quality of life. Plus you'll only be 1 to 3 hours from the Albuquerque Int'l Sunport if you need to travel.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:15 AM

66 posts, read 334,348 times
in santa fe we visited last week nice town to busy people from everywhere...los alamos only @half hour from Santa Fe and would be MUCH cheaper.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM

828 posts, read 3,419,637 times
Default Raton

Seleswifey, you might check out Raton. It is small, but does have some shopping like Walmart and such. It is inexpensive. It does get cold in the winter with snow but not bitter cold. It is cooler in the summer than in most of the rest of NM. You can go up to Denver (about 210 miles) or Colorado Springs (about 140 miles) or down to Santa Fe (about 170 miles) since all are not far. A place worth looking into, I think.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM

8,145 posts, read 10,563,006 times
I've never lived in Raton, but I've passed through it many times. It's quite beautiful. Seemed like a nice enough town. Very near the Colorado border. City data's report is here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Raton-New-Mexico.html

Trinidad, CO is only about 20 miles from Raton. Also a decent small town.

Taos is very, very expensive. A very neat town. Lots of arts. But definitely pricey.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:54 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,233,729 times
Yes, Taos is expensive. I live just about 3 miles out of town and find that although I am managing well as a retiree the cost of non-luxury items (including petrol) are much higher here than elsewhere in the State. Petrol has consistently been 30-40 cents higher per gallen, even in comparison to another small town West of Taos.

However, many of the less expensive towns (not cities) are not nearly as beautiful.

It is always a up and a down side, and I am in a personal quandary to stay or leave.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM

56 posts, read 229,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan View Post
in santa fe we visited last week nice town to busy people from everywhere...los alamos only @half hour from Santa Fe and would be MUCH cheaper.
What makes you say that Los Alamos is much cheaper that Santa Fe? I've been checking into home prices since we are most likely moving to Los Alamos within 6 months and I've found just the opposite. Please tell me where all the cheap real estate is in Los Alamos !

Old 10-03-2006, 04:29 PM

68 posts, read 244,031 times
Cool los alamos not cheap!!

i grew up in new mexico and do not know to much about los alamos.. i do know that it is near santa fe and in the mountains...however, i think that los alamos was built for the purpose of the creation of the atomic bomb back in the 40s,, i would say that there is a lot of engineers and scientists that live there..i hear the laboratorys are pretty much what make up the town so i would have to agree that it would be expensive......pecos outside of santa fe is where i would consider living and also raton is cool also i like edgewood and tijeras which are near abq..

Old 10-03-2006, 07:09 PM

27 posts, read 87,112 times
Yeah Raton is on my list...I got a package from Chama but that seems very very expensive so I think that is off my list!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 10,392,239 times
Have you checked out Clayton ? http://www.city-data.com/city/Clayton-New-Mexico.html
Housing is very cheap, a 1400sqf house goes for under $55k.
Were just over an hour south of Raton, but that road is being 4 laned as we speak, so it will be quicker in the future.
claytonnewmexico dot net has alot of info on it, and my email (Tourism Dept) is on there if you want a relocation package. Just wanted to give you another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico