U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 AM

3,012 posts, read 8,787,659 times

Advertisements

My guess would be they had to close the pass. But because it is an interstate, I also bet they get it cleared off and re-opened pretty fast.

If it WAS open, I would not choose to try and go over it ... would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 AM

16,208 posts, read 20,251,772 times
Hopeful! Colorado's road report # is 303-639-1111, if you ever have to make a run into Trinidad, they update that message every three hours or so.. Raton Pass can be nasty, but Towanda is right. I-25 is a major route, the highway workers always give interstates priority on maintenance. Done that trip lots of times from Raton to Albuquerque in a storm-no fun.

One of the things that worries me about how these layoffs are coming down the pike is the basic essential services; highway department, state patrol, etc. The highway traveler should be keeping that in mind, this year I'm afraid things are gonna be real rough economy wise.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM

7,973 posts, read 16,831,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
Towanda - it's only 9 degrees right now, wind chill says -3.....ouch.... purrrdddyyy darn cold ! But we sure did have the wind last night, it snowed for about 2 hours and then just blew around every which way. It is really pretty today, also have blue skies, sunshine and lots of glitter everywhere. I'm not sure if the pass was closed last night or not, at about 11pm, the only lights I saw on I-25 South were red and yellow flashing ones....
I was just outside doing a survey, and I can't even feel my fingers. This is in southern NM. Supposedly, it's supposed to warm up to 60 today, but it's been my experience when it is this cold out still at 8 am we'll be hard pressed to make that high temp today.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM

215 posts, read 574,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Hopeful! Colorado's road report # is 303-639-1111, if you ever have to make a run into Trinidad, they update that message every three hours or so.. Raton Pass can be nasty, but Towanda is right. I-25 is a major route, the highway workers always give interstates priority on maintenance. Done that trip lots of times from Raton to Albuquerque in a storm-no fun.

One of the things that worries me about how these layoffs are coming down the pike is the basic essential services; highway department, state patrol, etc. The highway traveler should be keeping that in mind, this year I'm afraid things are gonna be real rough economy wise.
I usually check on the 'weather bug' radar, but thanks for the info. It's handy to have that. I went to Trinidad a week ago Saturday and a HUGE.....HUGER....HUGEST...Boulder had come off the cliff, heading north. I'm hoping that it happened in the night, I was going through about 10:00am.and saw it. The grater guy was there and they were cleaning up the mess. It left a gigantic hole in the road, went through the fence and still sits on the southbound side of the road. I would say it was at least 3 feet in diameter....now that would ruin your day. I always stay in the far lane as much as possible. It wouldn't be good to ignore the upkeep on that area of the highway...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,796,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Mom, it's blizzarding outside!
Ooooooooh, I hate that stuff! great photo!

Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,770,564 times
Default Snow in NM?

Why does Las Cruces have more snow than my place in Londonderry, NH? It may be caused by el Nino and global warming or a god with a sense of humor.

Maybe I should rethink this snow bird thing.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 AM

16,208 posts, read 20,251,772 times
Watching the Weather Channel a while ago and that storm is barreling across southern Texas. I went to USA Today's weather page, typed in Houston. Five day forecast is snow tonight and tomorrow morning, then by Tuesday warming up to the mid 70's with showers and thunderstorms.

Snow in Houston? Yikes!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM

7,973 posts, read 16,831,814 times
Four inches of that crap in my backyard this morning, and I don't know if the palm trees are going to survive. I wish my camera wasn't being repaired because the pictures I could have taken this morning would have wound up in National Geographic. To see that much snow out in the desert, but amplified by the bright brilliant sun this morning was nothing short of surreal. I felt like I was back home again: black ice patches everywhere.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,581,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Four inches of that crap in my backyard this morning, and I don't know if the palm trees are going to survive. I wish my camera wasn't being repaired because the pictures I could have taken this morning would have wound up in National Geographic. To see that much snow out in the desert, but amplified by the bright brilliant sun this morning was nothing short of surreal. I felt like I was back home again: black ice patches everywhere.
Isn't it GORGEOUS?!? Sparkle, sparkle!

But your comment about the palm trees...I have learned a hard lesson since moving here. The palm trees all over Alamogordo should have tipped this idiot off that the summers here are very hot and the winters usually mild. This winter looks to be shaping up like the one in 2006-early 2007, which is what I was looking at when I was researching.

If I ever move again, I am going someplace where palms are absent except in isolated private yards! If they can generally survive, the climate is too warm for me.

El Paso is full of them now, and all of that is fairly recent.

I must be the only person in the world that hates those things. I don't mind them where they are NATIVE, but they have just always looked out of place in New Mexico and West Texas.

Hopefully, your palms will survive. Weren't you the guy who had his kids in his swimming pool outdoors in JANUARY of this year? That is just freaky, freaky weather, LOL!!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 12-04-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,314,969 times
Cold and snowy here in NM, and back in Maine they had record high temperatures yesterday. Go figure.
But I am still glad I'm here where winter is much nicer and shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico