U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,603,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Cold and snowy here in NM, and back in Maine they had record high temperatures yesterday. Go figure.
But I am still glad I'm here where winter is much nicer and shorter.
Do you like the hot temps in the summer?

There are times when I wish I could move where summers never get above 89 degrees, but the winters in such a place are probably pretty brutal!!

Or else it's a tropical climate like HI where there isn't much spread between day and night temps in many areas (ugggh!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 AM

15,068 posts, read 16,729,637 times
A rare event. I wouldn't worry about it.

ABQConvict

Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,935,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
There are times when I wish I could move where summers never get above 89 degrees, but the winters in such a place are probably pretty brutal!!
Ruidoso averages only 2 days a year above 90 degrees and winters aren't that bad.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM

That's probably true. But I liked Ruidoso and Lincoln County better when they got real winters back in the 1960s-1989 or so.

I'm still getting listings there. Just haven't seen anything recently that I want to go see.

Too bad the winters here can't always be like this, real ones, where you can actually wear a real coat. I dusted the cobwebs off of one yesterday; only the second time I've been here that I have actually worn anything more than a windbreaker.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 85,740 times
It might be snowing in Houston, but here in Austin, we had 2 minutes of flurries and then it was gone. Bummer! But I'll be in Taos in a couple weeks and I'll get my snow fix then!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,193,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why does Las Cruces have more snow than my place in Londonderry, NH? It may be caused by el Nino and global warming or a god with a sense of humor.

Maybe I should rethink this snow bird thing.

its a wierd thing, last year New Orleans and Houston were getting snow while many places up North didnt, but I did break out the big jacket yesterday and I only use it maybe a few times a year.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM

69,709 posts, read 80,059,664 times
Quote:
Isn't it GORGEOUS?!? Sparkle, sparkle!

But your comment about the palm trees...I have learned a hard lesson since moving here. The palm trees all over Alamogordo should have tipped this idiot off that the summers here are very hot and the winters usually mild. This winter looks to be shaping up like the one in 2006-early 2007, which is what I was looking at when I was researching.

If I ever move again, I am going someplace where palms are absent except in isolated private yards! If they can generally survive, the climate is too warm for me.

El Paso is full of them now, and all of that is fairly recent.

I must be the only person in the world that hates those things. I don't mind them where they are NATIVE, but they have just always looked out of place in New Mexico and West Texas.

Hopefully, your palms will survive. Weren't you the guy who had his kids in his swimming pool outdoors in JANUARY of this year? That is just freaky, freaky weather, LOL!!
We were supposed to get some yesterday, but not a flake. It is colder than all get out: 33 right now..

Nita

Old 12-04-2009, 04:04 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,193,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Four inches of that crap in my backyard this morning, and I don't know if the palm trees are going to survive. I wish my camera wasn't being repaired because the pictures I could have taken this morning would have wound up in National Geographic. To see that much snow out in the desert, but amplified by the bright brilliant sun this morning was nothing short of surreal. I felt like I was back home again: black ice patches everywhere.

snow actually works as an insulator on the palms, they should be fine, hopefully

Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,321,265 times
Quote:
Do you like the hot temps in the summer?

Or else it's a tropical climate like HI where there isn't much spread between day and night temps in many areas (ugggh!!).
I don't mind the warm summers, as there is no humidity. I don't like cold and got sick of snow, so living here is wonderful for us.

The one thing to remember is where I come from the snow does not melt in a few hours or even overnight. It stays on the ground from the first snowfall (usually in Nov) and lasts until April. The last winter in Maine, we had over 8 feet of snow on the ground.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We were supposed to get some yesterday, but not a flake. It is colder than all get out: 33 right now..

Nita
Awwww.....hope you get some snow, if that's what you want.

The sun is out, and I went outside. It felt like it was about 40, but it's 29!!

Just doesn't feel that cold to me! The second snow is now melting off, and the moisture is good! We need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico