Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I don't mind the warm summers, as there is no humidity. I don't like cold and got sick of snow, so living here is wonderful for us.

The one thing to remember is where I come from the snow does not melt in a few hours or even overnight. It stays on the ground from the first snowfall (usually in Nov) and lasts until April. The last winter in Maine, we had over 8 feet of snow on the ground.
That is definitely a very different climate, and I would be willing to bet that it's a very humid cold, not that different from the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 04:44 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That is definitely a very different climate, and I would be willing to bet that it's a very humid cold, not that different from the Midwest.
It is. Its a very damp cold, chills you right to the bone. Maine is a humid state, so you deal with it year round.

I almost choked on my drink the other day when I saw the dewpoint in ABQ was -7. That's unheard of back east. Usually dewpoints in the 50-65 range, then factor in a day with 90% humidity and ICK! Definitely alot different than here.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
It is. Its a very damp cold, chills you right to the bone. Maine is a humid state, so you deal with it year round.

I almost choked on my drink the other day when I saw the dewpoint in ABQ was -7. That's unheard of back east. Usually dewpoints in the 50-65 range, then factor in a day with 90% humidity and ICK! Definitely alot different than here.
I'd just die.....!

I can't even stand the humidity in Texas other than the Panhandle or West Texas!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:

And this impacts the snow in a manner I've never previously witnessed. Yesterday, my kids and I attempted to make a snowman, and it was practically impossible. There was certainly enough snow on the ground, but there was no packing in the snow. I've never seen this before: you can't pack the snow here. It's dry snow, which seems like a misnomer. There's barely any water in it. Back east, you could easily and quickly form a big snowman, rolling huge snowballs. We couldn't do that yesterday. People back east die of heart attacks shoveling snow. Here, you could shovel your driveway with a cornbroom.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It's dry snow, which seems like a misnomer. There's barely any water in it.
It's what makes skiing in the Rockies (and Wasatch) so special - POWDER SKIING. I don't know why the term "powder" came into being because it's more like skiing in eider down (feathers) than powder when the conditions are perfect after a good deep snowfall (several feet in one storm). People like me are called "Powder Hounds" in skiing vernacular. We're the first ones off the lifts on a morning after a new snowfall.

Locally the Ski Apache area once in a blue moon receives enough snowfall in one storm to qualify as a powder skiing experience. The best I've found is at Alta and Snowbird resorts at Salt Lake City, UT.

PS I normally use only a corn-straw broom to clear the walks around my house of snow. Need to do that before anyone (or animal) walks on it.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
It finally snowed in New Hampshire Saturday night. We got a few inches of wet snow and it looks like it will be here until March. You are correct about the humidity. According to my instruments it was 22 deg and 85% humidity this morning around 4 AM local. Inside the house was 62 deg and 35% humidity.

The Sunday morning dawn was spectacular with the snow still on the branches of the maples and turning the pines into white pyramids.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Default Snow reports......

We have 5-6inches here in Fence Lake....Pix later.

More on the way...

HW

Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Rain.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
Dumping in Fanta Se.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Melting in the E Mtns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico