Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 5,627 times

Advertisements

hi, i'm molly,

currently i live an hour from houston texas, and have struggled with my health issues far longer than I care to count... I've lost the family I grew up with, they've abandoned me because I'm disabled... I've lost my family I had when my husband died. my mother took my son away by lying to cps... before she died, she never told her brothers the truth about me, but they still want nothing to do with me.

crime here has gotten so bad, and with the crime, and with health coverage becoming harder to work with, i need more help than this area can give.

my aunt n uncle have my son and have no intentions of letting me visit him anytime soon, much less keep contact with them via email, i've tried emailing even once a week, and they email me back saying don't email so much... i email once every other week, and they still say it's too much.

so basically, i have nothing here for me anymore.

i'm 33 years old, i'm over 450 pounds (not by choice), and i've got deteriating spine, fibro, and other health issues. i can walk a very little bit, (around apartment), but i no longer can walk down the sidewalk, street, or block... i have to use either a powerchair or manual chair for mobility beyond the front door.

i'm explaining all this, because, i need help as to where to move... i've been told that new mexico has better health care because people actually care.... the places i've been to here in texas, it's all money hungry... about a month ago i was so sick, my ears were completely blocked up and i had no voice to speak with, and i went to the hospital for help, because i sort of had no doctor... the hospital did not treat me, they sent me home instead.

when giving suggestions, please keep in mind my limitations... i need to live in city, where things are within blocks reach. i can roll 5 blocks and back when my powerchair has really good batteries. the powerchair i have now, i have to endure for another 2 years before i can get another one. the medicare here in texas has regulated powerchairs so much, that the batteries are "jelly cell" - which means, if it's too hot outside, it will soften up the battery juice, it'll hardly be use-able... and if it gets too cold, it'll thicken up the battery juice to where i can't go do any errands in town i'd need to do, but then have to depend on a neighbor or friend to help me out.

i'm on a fixed budget, about $1,000 per month, so if there's low income apartments, phone numbers or websites of them would be appreciated...

a friend of mine has land nearby mountainair, 3 miles from the village, but i'm afraid of being trapped by snow... to keep myself sane, i'd like to get out of the apartment at least once a week - to do an errand, visit a doctor, or just enjoy the scenery - i love taking pictures, i'm an amateur photographer... but i am limited by my disability and current location.

i ask for suggestions as to where to move to, and if there's numbers added, i'll be able to do more digging to make my choice. my boyfriend (whom lives in england) said he'd help me move, he just wants me to make sure i'll have a home to move to, so i don't travel and then discover i'm stuck.

i need a disabled friendly place, lots of sidewalks (or parking lots i can roll thru), and i need to able to reach a doctor, hospital, bank, and grocery store within 5 blocks. i try my best not to depend on city busses, but, i'll be willing to accept riding, if it helps me get to the help i need.

please help me... i'm wanting to be moved in 3 or 4 month's time... (while it's summer, so i have time to prepare for winter)

thanks for reading. i'm saving this site as a tab so i don't forget to come back.

laters all
molly

Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM

18,603 posts, read 33,168,447 times
I don't know the numbers, but I think considering NM because "people actually care" is pretty vague for such serious issues. NM is consistently in the bottom three of all U.S. states (along with Louisiana and Mississippi) for poverty, lack of health insurance, teenage pregnancy, DUI, and other social stats. I'm not sure where OP gets the sense that the healthcare system in NM is a more "caring" system than TX. I assume OP is on Medicaid, given her listed income, and that is a state program, so maybe more situations are covered or the system is more forgiving from one state to another.
Although it is a sad situation, a hospital ER might not treat for a condition that can easily and more cheaply be treated in a day clinic or primary doctor (although OP didn't have the latter at the time of the illness). It sounds like OP went to an ER with her illness. These things also vary from state to state, I think.
If set on NM, I'd talk to the friend near Mountainair. I assume that that village is certainly not a place that offers what OP needs and wants, but friend should be more familiar with other places, state health systems, etc.
Also, is there not a place in Texas that suits better than the current location? I say this because, as a rule, with Medicaid and low-income housing and other state things, state residents get first crack at housing lists, etc. (including disabled housing) and surely OP would have an advantage there. A smallish city or town in TX maybe? Could state agencies help at all with a referral, if OP is connected to any through Medicaid or disability support?

The original traumas suffered by OP were from the people who failed her, not the state, and the pain and effects will not be left at the state line (I imagine she knows this). A disclaimer- my own young woman experience of living and traveling in NM were extremely negative and I'd never think that NM is "more caring" as an overall place, anymore than I'd think TX is not. I don't think the emotional events and sufferings are a state matter, although concrete matters like housing and Medicaid are state matters.

Best wishes to OP for clear thought and some help, be it professional or spiritual or both, with the sadness of her losses.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
I do not believe New Mexico "has better health care because people actually care....". New Mexico normally ranks around number 33 or worse for medical services. If you really are concerned about medical services and you want to come to New Mexico, I would seriously consider Albuquerque immediate area. When we tried to bring my mother to New Mexico from Florida we found medical expenses were greater here.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,627 times
i was meaning to change my post, but life happened and one thing let to another (neighbor came by, landlady came by, had an errand to run, etc)

um, who is OP? if you were referring to me, then why not state it?

i wasn't crying out for mental help from the state... i was mainly stating i had no more emotional reason to stay here and then asked for locations of housing areas, where every day things can be reached. i was not aware of the negative alerts of how new mexico was... i didn't really start studying about where to move to, until i typed that post... that friend of mine, claimed the health care system is better and i thought seeings how she's from there, she might know what she's talking about....

if there's a way to delete my original post, i will... if not - this this my resolved thought, and change of mind - i hope everyone considers this as a cancellation of my original post...

i have learned that new mexico isn't as i was first told... i've learned by hearing from others, and by googling stats about NM - i've learned i'm better off here. if i could enjoy the snow, then vermont would be the place, but i won't travel that far for finding a home. found out housing employees are going to do more to help all of us tenants out... and so i'm not panicking anymore, i've figured i'll just adjust to the harder times, instead of trying to find a place to live easier...

laters...
molly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico