Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,900 times

Advertisements

If you had 8 days (Fr thru following Sun) to spend in New Mexico, what would your itinerary look like (if you didn't mind driving and wanted to see as much as you could)?

Background info: Planning a trip to NM w/ my GF in late February or early March (only available times). We're both in our later 30's and pretty active (enjoy hiking/skiing, etc). We have no travel or schedule restrictions while in NM.

I was thinking of flying in to ALB on a F and then drive to Santa Fe, spend the weekend there. Drive to Taos and ski during the first part of the week and visit a hot spring while there. Then head south and spend time at White Sands, stay in Las Cruces? Later head East and travel thru the Lincoln forest, ultimately looping back North, going thru Roswell and spend the last Saturday afternoon/night in ALB. Depart Sunday AM.

It's a real general plan and am wondering if it makes logistic sense (or logical, hehe), as well as what any of you may add in , things worth seeing that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM

55 posts, read 173,516 times
If you happen to modify your itinerary to loop you through south central NM:

Soaking in the hot springs while watching the Rio Grande roll by in Truth or Consequences' Riverbend Hot Springs .... nice. There are other hot springs in town, at fancier digs, but it's hard to beat soaking alongside the river.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Your itinerary looks a little I-25-heavy. Unless you like seeing the same scenery forwards and backwards, recommend you change your way from Taos back to White Sands to go east to Mora/Las Vegas/Roswell and then go west through the Lincoln National Forest to see the other sights, then N on I-25 to Albuquerque, never traversing the same stretch of I-25 twice.

Also, traveling through Roswell (New Mexico's Detroit) without going to Carlsbad is a real waste.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I can't wait to go see Carlsbad Caverns with my wife. Gonna be so, so cool. Pardon the pun. Tee-hee!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 49,465 times
In late February I would take my business further south. But I jest! Really though, that's about the bleakest part of the year in New Mexico. Still and all I want to leave you with a s solid; beware the climate at elevation. Don't let yourself be caught outdoors dressed for warm sunny weather. Many, many blizzards have befallen New Mexico in March, April or even May and many souls have succumbed to the cold.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Late February is usually spring-like in southern New Mexico.

New Mexico is such a big state, it depends on if you're trying to drive and see as much as you can from inside a car -- but I agree with the other poster -- make a loop so you can cover more territory.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 AM

51 posts, read 82,824 times
One of my favorite day trips from ABQ is Tent Rocks. It's 30 minutes off of I25 (between ABQ and Santa Fe) and very scenic.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Be sure to take the drive through Jemez Springs, past Bandolier National Monument--in fact stopping there. I would recommend doing it on the way from the airport in ABQ to Santa Fe or coming back from Taos. Jaw droppingly beautiful scenery--a remnant of ancient volcanic activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico