Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times

Advertisements

What are some of the most interesting abandoned things you have found driving around New Mexico?, it could be houses, buildings or whatever!

1) Last year I was in NM, I drove from Madrid area towards Albuquerque via 14 and spotted this really odd looking silver shiny mobile home just sitting in the middle of the brush with all the windows busted. I was driving a rental with Colorado plates and decided to drive up the hill to take some pictures, I looked inside and it had nothing in it and oddly, it was perfectly clean inside, as if no one had ever lived in it?! Around it, there was a rusty pickup that probably has been sitting there for some good twenty years. As I walked around, an old man that lived up the hill came out of one of the trailers and gave me this really dirty look I realized it was time to get the hell out

2) This is another one I love, the sign says OPEN, I could not tell if this was an old trading post, a restaurant or WHAT, but it looks surreal. This one is also around the Madrid area. Amazing isnt it?

3) Finally, this one sits just outside of Espanola, off of 84/285 around Hernandez if you are heading towards Abiquiu. I actually stopped and walked around, very interesting. An old abandoned gas station and just a bunch of stuff sitting around untouched for probably many years. Notice the beautiful New Mexico blue sky in the background. So incredible!

Last edited by lukeache; 10-20-2007 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 11:10 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
There are a few old cars near Lordsburg that have been there forever (I-10 eastbound lanes in an empty field).

In Arizona there is a converted bus dug into some sand (west bound I-10 lanes). It looks like an old encampment and it has been there forever as well.

It seems that maybe they broke down at that spot and decided to make it home.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
In Arizona there is a converted bus dug into some sand (west bound I-10 lanes). It looks like an old encampment and it has been there forever as well.

It seems that maybe they broke down at that spot and decided to make it home.
That is so interesting. I saw this one somewhere around the Madrid area. An abandoned train box car that was converted to either a house or storage space As you can see, they installed sliding doors I looked inside, there were sacks of concrete stacked and a chair. Could not determine if it was storage space or if someone actually lived there.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
We have plenty of that sort of thing here in NH but the rain, bugs and critters generally turn it into the forest before too long. I wonder if the scowling guy would have sold the trailer?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We have plenty of that sort of thing here in NH but the rain, bugs and critters generally turn it into the forest before too long. I wonder if the scowling guy would have sold the trailer?
The area where I found that silver trailer is awesome but kind of strange, I am not sure if the guy would have sold the trailer but it was weird like the location where the trailer was sitting. One thing I find interesting about New Mexico is the lack of zoning, you could put a trailer up on a hill, put some fence around it and you are all set. Abandoned stuff just sits around for years and it gives the place this really surreal atmosphere. This is another abandoned service station just outside of Espanola, NM.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Anybody know of any abandoned auto dealerships? That would be a neat way of finding a place to live with a really big shop.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM

93 posts, read 77,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
The area where I found that silver trailer is awesome but kind of strange, I am not sure if the guy would have sold the trailer but it was weird like the location where the trailer was sitting. One thing I find interesting about New Mexico is the lack of zoning, you could put a trailer up on a hill, put some fence around it and you are all set. Abandoned stuff just sits around for years and it gives the place this really surreal atmosphere. This is another abandoned service station just outside of Espanola, NM.

That looks just like the one up the road from where I presently live in Texas!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Fascinating thread. Anyone have more of these?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
budgetlord - next time I'm heading back to Alamogordo from Las Cruces I'll try ta remember to snap a few pics of old, abandoned hotels and eateries on the south side of Hwy. 70. They always fascinate me as I climb the Organ Mountains on the way home.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
budgetlord - next time I'm heading back to Alamogordo from Las Cruces I'll try ta remember to snap a few pics of old, abandoned hotels and eateries on the south side of Hwy. 70. They always fascinate me as I climb the Organ Mountains on the way home.
Sounds good. I'm sure each building/place/outpost/item has a story to tell. If I ever make it back to New Mexico I will make sure to get a lot of pictures of these types of structures/items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico