Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM

255 posts, read 626,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Give it another 3-5 years and you'll hear how ABQ is the hottest job market in the country. I don't believe any of these list that come out.
Okay, fair enough.

What industries do you foresee will help to create all of these jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Give it another 3-5 years and you'll hear how ABQ is the hottest job market in the country. I don't believe any of these list that come out.
This is exactly why I don't put much into studies or charts. It hasn't been that many years ago (when we lived there) that NM wasn't close to the top for job growth. Sure people may be leaving, some for better jobs but I think we also have to remember, when we see stats that show ND as the hop spot, it doesn't take too many people to move to a small state to have the % go way up.

These lists do nothing but give the leaders bragging rights til the next list comes out.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
As Aries63 mentioned, there's been quite a bit of cutting back at federal facilities and that has a big ripple effect on local economies, leading to further losses. White Sands, Sandia and Los Alamos labs have downsized and the same is true at the 3 big airbases: Kirtland, Holloman, and Cannon.

I run counter to the trend - I moved here 6 months ago and I'm very glad I did. Great climate, wonderful scenery, low taxes, light traffic.
NM might have lost some government jobs, you are right, and you are right about the positive things about NM, especially the weather. There is no place in the country, with 4 seasons that offers better weather. Add the lower cost of living and the history plus the beauty, the state has a lot to offer. It wasn't right for us, but it is still a wonderful place.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Anyone who is surprised or doesn't believe that people are moving out hasn't been paying attention. The local news has been filled with stories of companies folding or relocating to other states. The word "bleak" often comes up when reporting on the economic outlook for both the state and Albuquerque. Santa Fe has managed to add some jobs.

» UPDATED: ABQ Job Losses Lead Nation | ABQ Journal

"Numbers issued Tuesday by the U.S. Department of Labor show the Albuquerque metro area losing 3,900 jobs from November 2011 to November 2012 — making it the worst in the nation, KOB-TV reported.

"According to the new numbers, Albuquerque lags behind Brownsville, Texas, and Colorado Springs for hemorrhaging jobs, Eyewitness News 4 said."
I'm not surprised nor do I doubt people are moving out. And I have been paying attention. But I see a lot of exaggeration or misrepresentation. And in the same article:
Quote:
Meanwhile, the Albuquerque Journal reported this morning that Santa Fe bucked a statewide trend of year-to-year job losses as the only metro area in New Mexico to see an overall gain in jobs through last November, according to a report from the state Department of Workforce Solutions.
So it depends on what side you look at.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is exactly why I don't put much into studies or charts. It hasn't been that many years ago (when we lived there) that NM wasn't close to the top for job growth. Sure people may be leaving, some for better jobs but I think we also have to remember, when we see stats that show ND as the hop spot, it doesn't take too many people to move to a small state to have the % go way up.

These lists do nothing but give the leaders bragging rights til the next list comes out.
The small state % argument made sense to me. Yet when I looked at the states on both lists there were plenty of large states. Texas ranks #2 in population yet made #4 of the states people are moving to on a % basis (#1 in raw numbers). Another huge state New York ranks #3 in population yet is the #1 state people are moving out of on a % basis.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM

The data provided in this and other articles is indeed debatable, but like it or not, perception becomes reality. I've been traveling quite a bit over the last few months and you'd be surprised what peoples reactions are when i say that we reside in new mexico.

Bad thing is, the powers at be in NM are not doing anything to change those perceptions. Just more of business as usual. It also seems like citizens are just burrowing their heads in the sand and hoping nothing will change. Well, like it or not, things are changing. With or without you.

Last edited by atxzj; 02-03-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
But I see a lot of exaggeration or misrepresentation. ... So it depends on what side you look at.
Where is your evidence for the "exaggeration"? I'm looking at the bigger picture. And I already mentioned that Santa Fe had added some jobs, but it's not enough to change the state-wide picture, which is pretty grim.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
I've been traveling quite a bit over the last few months and you'd be surprised what peoples reactions are when i say that we reside in new mexico.
What reactions do you get? I don't think anything would surprise us. But I hope you will surprise us.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What reactions do you get? I don't think anything would surprise us. But I hope you will surprise us.
Meh, you've probably heard most of them.

"have you seen any UFOs?"

"have you met any indians?"

"i hear there is a lot of crime there"

"why?"

"dont they film breaking bad there?"

"isn't it really hot there?"

"we drove trough there once"

"are you planning on staying there?"

"oh"

and finally...yes, no exaggeration: "is that in the USA"

I will add the last comment came from someone who resides in a state that borders NM.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
Meh, you've probably heard most of them.

"have you seen any UFOs?"

"have you met any indians?"

"i hear there is a lot of crime there"

"why?"

"dont they film breaking bad there?"

"isn't it really hot there?"

"we drove trough there once"

"are you planning on staying there?"

"oh"

and finally...yes, no exaggeration: "is that in the USA"

I will add the last comment came from someone who resides in a state that borders NM.
Ok, please don't say Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico