Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosellajoe View Post
Actually we HAVE been to SF MANY times over the past thirty years and it never ceases to amaze us how much kickback we get from residents (and now posts) about the fallibility of stats etc..
Well, since you have an 'affinity' towards math you should know there is a fallibility of stats. That is nothing new in this world. There is a reason there are many quotes about stats. Here are a few.

Quote:
Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything. ~Gregg Easterbrook

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts - for support rather than for illumination. ~Andrew Lang

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. ~William W. Watt
Fact is (you like that?) is that many people are champions of their home. A bunch of numbers (that the FBI, who created them felt they needed a disclaimer) don't change that. Obviously looking at a bunch of numbers and not the true essence of a community is more important to you. That is your choice. Seems, to me that there are a lot of people who are successful in life choose to look at the actual city of Santa Fe instead of numbers.

Quote:
The police force is SF is minimal....
Really?

A quick google search shows that the national average of Police Officers per 1000 residents is around 2.

Santa Fe Police Officers per 1000 =2.21

Quote:
we have friends who have lived there for years and tell us that most crime is under reported.
How do they know this? Something they heard? Are they involved with the LE organizations in Santa Fe?

Quote:
Property crime is WAY UP.....
Looks to be about steady. FWIW...

Quote:
DUI and drugs off the charts.....
Ok, I'm not going to disagree with you there. Thankfully DUI statewide has continued to drop. The state went from the bottom of the list to the mid 30's over the last few years.

Quote:
education terrible...
Unfortunately that is true.

Quote:
we now see SF as a nice place to visit....but its a fast in and out for us.
Thanks for spending your dollars here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,399,494 times
Quote:

FACTS ARE FACTS.
Very true.

Fact is, you can live in Hays, Kansas. It has a crime rate slightly lower than the national average. But, you're in Hays, Kansas.

Fact is, Santa Fe remains a much more desirable place to live. Just look at the property values. There is much more going on there than in "safer" places like Hays, Kansas (which is less safe than Santa Fe from a tornado's point of view).

Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Violent Crime 310 (4.52)
Property Crime 3,806 (55)
I can't believe that no one has mentioned that these stats are bogus. Sante Fe is ~1/2 the national average for crime.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM

195 posts, read 420,758 times
I'm not a fan of Santa Fe, but I feel like if you make the most of it...you will enjoy it. (it took me 2 years to come to this point). However, if you just dwell on the bad of it, that is all you will see and you won't enjoy it as much.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,652 times
Default there are different kinds of "safety"

This guy thinks central NM is the safest place in the world, in terms of climate and geology:

In terms of natural disasters, what would be the safest place in the world to live? - Quora

So I guess it depends whether one is more afraid of climate/geology/natural disasters, or people/crime. Personally-speaking, I always felt safe in SF. But mostly we visited the plaza during daylight hours.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,698,730 times
Quote:
My wife and I wanted to make informed decisions on which place was the best to retire ( we are both math geeks and have a real affinity for numbers).....fully realizing that no one place is perfect. To our utter shock we discovered stats on Santa Fe that were quite up
setting......a snapshot:

Santa Fe crime vs National Average per 1,000 residents (National Average in italics)

Violent Crime 310 (4.52)
Property Crime 3,806 (55)
Total 4,116 vs National Average of 60 places SF on a scale of 1 (most dangerous) to 100 (safest) at a 5 which means it is safer than 5% of the cities in the US. For a small place like SF thats mind boggling!

Your chances of becoming a victim of property crime is 1 in 18 and in NM 1 in 28!!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK....its beautiful but so is a venus flytrap....search the web do your due diligence
Include the throngs of tourists visiting Santa Fe at any given time in your population estimates and you might have something approaching reality. If the resident population of Santa Fe is 69,200 (as suggested by your stats) and there's 5k tourists in town the population at that moment is 74,200k, so where in your statistics do you take into account the tourist population?

Let's see. According to the Santa Fe Convention & Visitors bureau a recent year had 1,000,000 hotel nights booked. If we assume 2 occupants on average, divided by 365 nights per year, we get an average of 5,479 people. If there were 3,806 property crime incidents, here we can calculate out. 3806 / (69,200 + 5,479) = 51 per 1,000 residents. And I bet the average hotel room is higher than 2 occupants. On top of that you have tourists staying with residents and people coming in for the day.

So, there. When you include tourists Santa Fe drops below the national average.

You're welcome.

PS: How did you get from 55 + 4.52 = 59.52, which is less than the national average 60, to SF is worse than the national average?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
Is there crime in New Mexico? Well, yes there is. There's even a gang element that cannot be denied. There is heroin and has been for decades. Lots of the violence seems to center around those elements.

Are DUIs rampant all over NM? Sure, more so in McKinley Co. than Santa Fe Co. Are drugs prevalent? You bet.

Would I wander the streets at night as a woman alone in Espanola, Chimayo, Central Ave,. or even Truchas, to name a few? No I would not. Not a snowball's chance. No offense to those locations, as I'm just overly cautious.

Is Santa Fe the hot bed of crime? I certainly don't think so.

Have I and do I feel totally safe wandering the streets of Santa Fe at night? Yes, I have & I do.

If there was imminent danger in Santa Fe I hope someone would have told me by now after all these years, especially my husband who is a native New Mexican and has had his pulse on the zeitgeist of NM for many, many years. I don't think he would drop me without a vehicle for a week at a time at funky casitas in Santa Fe if there was a serious violent crime factor, minimal police force (), etc.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Love your post, bongo!

I would give you reputation points but am unable to do so at this time, so I just want you to know that I agree with every word.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM

186 posts, read 465,813 times
Excellent post Bongo!!!

I too walked all over the streets of Santa Fe...alone....female...at night, sometimes VERY late at night....and sometimes slightly wobbly after a couple glasses of wine. I should have been considered a "prime target", if someone were looking for one. I had absolutely zero problems the whole time I lived there, and would have no fear if I moved back (which I would love to do).

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
FACTS ARE FACTS.
I'm still waiting to see you admit that the "facts" you posted are misinterpreted or outright bogus.

Besides the chart I posted above, here are a few more sites showing crime stats:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Fe-New-Mexico.html

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

They all agree that property crime in Sante Fe is above average (~50% above), and violent crime is just a hair above average. But note that Santa Fe is heavily touristed, and this always results in higher crime. People coming to party and raise hell, etc... or people stealing from tourists... or people breaking into vacation homes when the owners are away.

The crime stats are pretty similar for Ruidoso, actually. And I don't have the slightest fear of walking anywhere in this town at any time of the day or night. We don't even lock our doors. It probably helps that we don't have anything worth stealing, but still...

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico