U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,120,428 times

Advertisements

That sounds like a very good idea. It's more or less what I was thinking of! I'll do some research on the subject of rammed earth, so as not to ask questions from ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 AM

827 posts, read 4,505,958 times
I am learning too Catman, so don't worry about looking ignorant. Asking questions is what makes you wise. I think too, the rammed earth facing south with the heat, will collect the heat as well. I think maybe some black oil drums filled with water placed just right on a wall where the south windows are, will radiate heat back into the room. My brother has those and it works. He also has one near his wood stove, filled with water and it radiates heat, you can feel it! Also, get a load of this, he somehow built a pipe that sends the heated water to the back of his bedroom and it radiates back there too!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:41 PM

The black oil drums filled with water are ingenious, not to mention the pipe that your brother built. Is there ever a problem with it becoming too hot inside a house of that kind? I'm not used to living in a climate in which heat and humidity aren't the main problem most of the year, but I'd like to get used to it!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:23 PM

215 posts, read 729,008 times
Do you guys know about earthships?

http://www.earthship.org

Not sure whether these are the same as rammed earth, but they are interesting.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 PM

Catman, my brother somehow has a thermostat so it regulates itself. I am not sure how he did it but I will email him and ask him and tell you how he did it. He doesn't have any heating bills just a wood stove and he doesn't have to use it too much.

Jecc, I have read some about earthships. They are supposed to be self-sufficient. I think actor Dennis Weaver had an earthship, if I remember right. They usually use earth rammed tires for the walls, which is pretty cool and using old tires is a good idea for recycling used stuff. They also usually have greenhouses, which is pretty much what I want too. They use the solar to the best benefit, which is again what I want as well. I am going over to the website you listed, for a look, after here. Thanks Jecc, for your amazing web site info!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,521,054 times
Default Energy Efficient Houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Looks like great books Geos! You are an environmental king!
Flatterer I really thing "Peak Oil" is going to hit hard sooner rather than later. Don't be fooled by the temporary respite (hey look, it's election season, what a coincidence!); fuel prices are going back up soon. It's in everybody's interest to ramp up the insulation or if you're building, choose modern concrete or fiberglass rather than inefficient, outdated conventional building techniques like stick frame or masonry.

If you're rehabbing, sprayed polyurethane (PU) is much more efficient than fiberglass batts. It seals cracks so it virtually eliminates air infiltration and makes the whole structure stronger. http://bbs.monolithic.com/index.php has a ton of info on concrete, energy efficiency, PU and lots of other construction topics.

Here's how to build a solar heater virtually for free! Imagine if everyone did this. http://www.knowledgepublications.com...panels_ov2.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Steel Man - thanks for the kind post and thanks to all who contribute to this thread and forum as well!
DITTO!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 PM

I agree Geos. Oil will be on the way back up. Opec has just decided to cap production too, no surprise! The more self-sufficient you and your home are, the better you will be! Yes, sprayed polyurethane into rehabed or conventional homes is much more efficient. I just wished though that the old way of making homes, you know the "match stick" conventional homes would fade away. I wish builders would turn in great number to the new ways of building homes that would take many homes off the grid, so to speak. As you might guess, I will be on my way to the solar site ASAP after here! Again, thanks! A solar heater for virutally FREE?! YEAH!

Catman, my brother is out of town for a few days, but as soon as I can, I will get him to give me the info on his heating system.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:23 AM

Catman, I talked with my brother about his setup on his heating system. It is somewhat complicated. My brother is very mechanically inclined so somethings just go over my head, but I will give you a synopsis. OK, he put in his woodstove, using gas pipe that he curved quite a bit, sort of like a winding snake and water passes through the woodstove in that pipe. The heated water goes down a gas pipe to the back of his bedrooms, via a pump. At that location, he uses a thermastat, a motorcycle radiator and a fan, with a reservoir, that should it get too hot, the water fills into it. He injects radiator fluid into the pipes. He said not to have a closed system but keep it open. Again, kind of complicated, but to someone who is as gifted as my brother is, would probably be able to figure it out. Sort of like the old boiler method of heating. Anyway, thought I'd let you know. Take care.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 39,208 times
Great disscussion guys. My interests are in passive solar design homes. Say with south facing windows with trombe walls. Massive rammed earth walls or partial underground for excellent insulation. Solar water heaters and grey water systems make a lot of sense. I am looking into doing a pit green house for my rabbits or growing my food year round.

Joe

Old 11-04-2006, 01:29 PM

Thumbs up Heating system

Crackerjack: That is an ingenious system. Your brother is much more mechanically inclined than I am, that's for sure. Injecting radiator fluid into the pipes...is that to raise the boiling point? And I'm not sure what you mean by "keep it open". Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined. Maybe your brother could 'splain it to me if he were very patient!

Hi, ucalljoe, from another Joe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico