U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:12 PM

14 posts, read 39,586 times

Advertisements

Hey Joe,

The systems I have seen using the radiator fluid is too keep the water that gets heated from the sun or outdoor wood burning furnaces from freezing in case of no sun or fire goes out. Basically what happens is the radiator fluid is in copper or PEX (plastic pipe) and it goes to a box called a heat exchanger where it preheats the air going into a regular forced air furnace or a radiant system. I like the radiant system. This is pipe that heats up in the floor or concrete slab. People with allergies should use this system because you don't have the dust and stuff flying around the air. The heat is great. You can sit on the floor and just feel the warmth going into you.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 AM

827 posts, read 4,544,245 times
UcallJoe, sound like a great idea for your house. I am thinking something similiar with solar, earth rammed walls and part of the house (north end) into a hill. Large windows facing south and an indoor greenhouse too. I would also use grey water and solar heating too.

Catman, my brother said what UcallJoe said, so it doesn't freeze and to keep it from overheating. A "catch" system, so it is balanced and doesn't get too hot or too cold. He said "open" means you don't seal the pipes, you need a reservoir, because if it is too hot, it could explode the pipes, due to it not having a way to spill out. Much like a car radiator has a spill over if it overheats. That makes sense. He said so much of heat is lost from woodstoves going out the pipe, why not use it to heat water and radiate it out through the house? It works great for him. He has NO heating bills. He does have to cut wood in the summer, but only cuts dead trees. For those in the desert, you can burn dried cow dung. Sounds gross but does the job.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 39,586 times
Crackerjack,

Next time I see one of theses systems I'll have to look for the reservoir. Like you said it makes sense that things can over heat and explode. Ask your brother which manufacturer he went with on his outdoor wood furnace. Or did he make his own? What part of the country does he live in? How many cords of wood did he go through last year? Is he using totally seasoned wood? Hard or soft? How big of logs can he put in it? How many times of day does he have to stoke the fire? Is his furnace really smokey? Any problems with the neighbors or government on smoke? I read somewhere that in New York State they were outlawing them. We are looking at them for a possible solution to my aunt's place in MO. Propane bills are getting out of hand. Any info appreciated!!!

Thanx,

Joe

Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 AM

827 posts, read 4,544,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucalljoe View Post
Crackerjack,

Next time I see one of theses systems I'll have to look for the reservoir. Like you said it makes sense that things can over heat and explode. Ask your brother which manufacturer he went with on his outdoor wood furnace. Or did he make his own? What part of the country does he live in? How many cords of wood did he go through last year? Is he using totally seasoned wood? Hard or soft? How big of logs can he put in it? How many times of day does he have to stoke the fire? Is his furnace really smokey? Any problems with the neighbors or government on smoke? I read somewhere that in New York State they were outlawing them. We are looking at them for a possible solution to my aunt's place in MO. Propane bills are getting out of hand. Any info appreciated!!!

Thanx,

Joe
Joe, I will try to answer what I know. I know he made it all himself except the woodstove was a basic closed door woodstove. He said a woodstove with no door was wasteful. He lives in the Durango, Colorado area. He has a large truck and cuts at least 5 full loads of dead trees of pinon, oak and cedar on private property of owners who want the dead trees cut down. So the wood would be hard, I would think. He puts like one good size log on, not large, and some kindling, gets it going and one log last all night. Sometimes he puts on some more if the logs aren't as big. Since he has black painted oil drums, filled with water, near the south facing windows, and one near the woodstove, it radiates heat out in the day along with the southern exposure windows, he doesn't need heat in the daytime. In the winter, the sun is hot during the day in Colorado, so it gets pretty warm during the days. The nights are cold being high up, so that is when he heats with the woodstove. He always has wood left over every year. Not a lot, but some. It is dead wood that has been dead for some time, so well seasoned.
The furnace is not smoky. It has a filter. No problems with government or neighbors as all his neighbors do the same.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,363,010 times
Thanks for the info, guys. I understand it much better now. This stuff is all brand new to me. The radiant system sounds wonderful!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 80,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
Thanks for this thread, Crackerjack. I have been following the recent "tiny house movement." The materials are traditional wood and metal, but the houses are so small (and cute) that they definitely qualify as enviro-friendly. Here are some links:

* Tumbleweed Houses:

http://tumbleweedhouses.com

* NPR segment about tiny houses:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5366823

* Small House Society:

http://www.smallhousesociety.org

I want to do something like this, and the biggest problem I am running into is finding a place to legally place one. Zoning laws and covenants are not too friendly toward enviro-friendly living.
Hi jecc,

I was just reading through some older threads and came across this one. I saw a story about the Tumbleweed homes and the man who builds them on the Sunday Morning Show several months ago. I was quite intrigued.

As a person who tries (although not always successfully) to simplify my life, I'm really interested in the tiny homes, but the ones l've seen seem to be more for one or two people. I have a son and daughter that are small right now, so they could share a room for awhile, but once they are older will need separate rooms. That would mean a minimum of three bedrooms for our family. Are their any tiny/small homes that cater more towards families that you know of? Or would that be more of a traditional home with less square footage?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 PM

215 posts, read 735,894 times
Hi, MelNM. Yes, there are plenty of older homes from the 1950s and '60s that are small by today's standards. You can do three bedrooms in 300 SF or less. Add a kitchen, a small living room, and a bath or two and there's no reason you couldn't end up in something like 800 SF total. That's 250+ SF per person. Very modest by current standards.

There are floor plans for manufactured homes in this size range. Most are small doublewides with 2BR, but you could always customize for 3. If you are interested in this topic, get a book called "Little House on a Small Planet."

http://littlehouseonasmallplanet.com/

Lots of great ideas for smaller family living.

Also check out the Small House Society:

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/grou.../resources.htm

And its forum:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smallhousesocietyonline/

Old 12-28-2006, 07:54 PM

18 posts, read 80,677 times
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I think I'll order the book too. It looks interesting!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 PM

3,601 posts, read 7,317,281 times
For those of us who live in existing homes and want to make them environmentally friendly, it's finally profitable to install solar electric panels on a home with a flat or a pitched roof.

I can't post an ad on here, but there's a company in town that can install solar electric systems that pay for themselves in 9 years and generate $200-$400 in credits from PNM every month.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,042 times
Zoiberg let me ask you a question that may sound stupid but I just did not understand.
What does PNM means?
I have difficulty sometimes with acronyms

I'm from Spain and will be moving to Holloman AFB soon. Usually we rent in what ever country we leave in since we move on an average of 4 years do to work. We are thinking on staying put since the years are creeping. and I'm very interested on this site for that reason.
Thanks all for the great information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico