Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,688 times

Advertisements

Although my posts are meant to help people in dealing with Rattlesnakes that are very deadly and costly if you dont understand them you could end up dead or 50 000 in debt. >>>>>> Brian had the right idea of using a shovel to hypnotize the Snake and then cut off its head. KID TIP... you have to use a longhandled shovel with the big 5 to 7 foot rattlesnakes and it isnt easy to kill them. A large rock will bounce off the heads sometimes so the best thing to use is actually a 22 L.R. pistol or rifle and it will take 3 to half a dozen shots in the head to bring it down. The Bigger Caliber guns can bring it down in one or two shots if you are proficient in shooting the 38s or 357 which if you ask me is too much firepower. 2nd KID TIP... I use to let them hit the Shovel with their Fangs and hear the Shovel PING everytime they would strike it then i would cut their Heads off when i got tired of playing with them. >>>>>> We must not allow people who dont live here to cutoff this IMPORTANT information on staying safe from Rattlesnakes. We live around them and soon they will be everywhere and people from out of N.M. or who pretend to be experts on snakes cannot stop people from learning how to protect themselves from Death or Financial Ruin just because they want to protect a certain Species of animal.>>>>>> This Is New Mexico there are Lots of Rattlesnakes here. Over half of New Mexico is Mountains and Mesas and Forests Duh there are Dangerous Animals everywhere around us and more as they get Hungry and lose their Homes. el pintada kid

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-07-2017 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: off topic comment edited...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
I have no intentions of killing a rattlesnake on purpose.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM

405 posts, read 1,335,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Although my posts are meant to help people in dealing with Rattlesnakes that are very deadly and costly if you dont understand them you could end up dead or 50 000 in debt. >>>>>> Brian who was Cutoff for some reason had the right idea of using a shovel to hypnotize the Snake and then cut off its head. KID TIP... you have to use a longhandled shovel with the big 5 to 7 foot rattlesnakes and it isnt easy to kill them. A large rock will bounce off the heads sometimes so the best thing to use is actually a 22 L.R. pistol or rifle and it will take 3 to half a dozen shots in the head to bring it down. The Bigger Caliber guns can bring it down in one or two shots if you are proficient in shooting the 38s or 357 which if you ask me is too much firepower. 2nd KID TIP... I use to let them hit the Shovel with their Fangs and hear the Shovel PING everytime they would strike it then i would cut their Heads off when i got tired of playing with them. >>>>>> We must not allow people who dont live here to cutoff this IMPORTANT information on staying safe from Rattlesnakes. We live around them and soon they will be everywhere and people from out of N.M. or who pretend to be experts on snakes cannot stop people from learning how to protect themselves from Death or Financial Ruin just because they want to protect a certain Species of animal.>>>>>> This Is New Mexico there are Lots of Rattlesnakes here. Over half of New Mexico is Mountains and Mesas and Forests Duh there are Dangerous Animals everywhere around us and more as they get Hungry and lose their Homes. el pintada kid

I am seriously hoping that these posts are intended for emergency reasons only as the individual stated above. There are many individuals like myself who work hard to conserve NM wildlife for future generations. If we know anything about humanity at all, we know that these creatures were here FIRST, and the reason they are a threat to us today is because we moved into their home territory, driving them out. Please think before acting against wildlife. 99% of the time, WE are the reason they are striking out against us!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 166,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Although my posts are meant to help people in dealing with Rattlesnakes that are very deadly and costly if you dont understand them you could end up dead or 50 000 in debt. >>>>>> Brian who was Cutoff for some reason had the right idea of using a shovel to hypnotize the Snake and then cut off its head. KID TIP... you have to use a longhandled shovel with the big 5 to 7 foot rattlesnakes and it isnt easy to kill them. A large rock will bounce off the heads sometimes so the best thing to use is actually a 22 L.R. pistol or rifle and it will take 3 to half a dozen shots in the head to bring it down. The Bigger Caliber guns can bring it down in one or two shots if you are proficient in shooting the 38s or 357 which if you ask me is too much firepower. 2nd KID TIP... I use to let them hit the Shovel with their Fangs and hear the Shovel PING everytime they would strike it then i would cut their Heads off when i got tired of playing with them. >>>>>> We must not allow people who dont live here to cutoff this IMPORTANT information on staying safe from Rattlesnakes. We live around them and soon they will be everywhere and people from out of N.M. or who pretend to be experts on snakes cannot stop people from learning how to protect themselves from Death or Financial Ruin just because they want to protect a certain Species of animal.>>>>>> This Is New Mexico there are Lots of Rattlesnakes here. Over half of New Mexico is Mountains and Mesas and Forests Duh there are Dangerous Animals everywhere around us and more as they get Hungry and lose their Homes. el pintada kid
Only idiots would kill a Rattlesnake unless it was directly endangering a life in someone's yard or property. Just killing a snake or anything else is absolutely ridiculous. If you leave snakes alone, they will leave you alone. Get a life, kid.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I, a somewhat over weight old man, can out walk a rattlesnake. Why would you want to kill a creature that cannot eat you and warns you that it is there? Save your ammunition for the dangerous critters.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,374 times
Thanks, Kid. I'll remember those. As owner to slow moving critters and Mom to slower moving kids, I appreciate the tips.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,688 times
Default Rattlesnakes Are Good

To all you who wont kill a Rattlesnake or who think they should be left alone thats your mind mentality and im not trying to change it. But to the Thousands of people who live around these animals at least they have an idea how to kill them if they are threatening their Space. To the Rattlesnake Lovers i would like to see them give people information on Anti Venons, Costs, etc. and where the Good Hospitals are and good Doctors and how to protect themselves from Rattlesnakes or other Wild Animals and if they do get bit what to do. The Rattlesnake and the Brown Recluse and the Black Widow are about the only Animals i dont mind killing. >>>> KID TIP.. The Rattlesnake has so many different reasons for my killing it including for the Snake Fat for the Meat for the Bones for the Skin and to keep it from Biting someone else including myself or a pet or a Kid. el pintada kid

Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM

137 posts, read 474,595 times
When I lived in Texas, a veterinarian friend and neighbor told us to be loud with our walking sticks and carry on conversations as we walked along the canyons. He said that would alert the rattlers to find cover and give them notice that people were out.
I would hope that this little idea means that no one has to kill an animal that is not harming or threatening others. BUT I have seen the damage done to humans after receiving a black widow bite and a brown recluse bite. They should be killed if they are anywhere near the home. They are dangerous and can cause incredible health problems.
BTW, a neighbor in my area walks around with a gun when he goes into the desert for walks with his pets. This seems over the top to me, but if he is obeying the law, then I have to respect his rights to carry a gun.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
I have killed several a year for the last few years. None this season yet. Would never use a .22 or anything like that. Shovel is all you need.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM

137 posts, read 474,595 times
I think this is sound, BrianH, and much safer for neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico