Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,793,276 times

Advertisements

You might find something here.
The Chile Addict - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM

391 posts, read 906,320 times
These folks produce some top quality knives with inlaid stone handles, a great gift for an outdoor guy.
Santa Fe Stoneworks Online Store | Santa Fe Stoneworks

There are other sources as well.
"Pocket Knives, Page #93"

And if you really, really like this guy...
Jay Fisher: Knife Maker, Artist, Photographer, Writer; Home Page

Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM

clicked post before this bit of advice:
Don't buy a knife made in Pakistan...US or Japanese made blades are the way to go. The Pakistan knives are generally cheap and don't function well. Some handle inlay people use them because they're cheap to buy, but anyone who knows and uses a good knife won't like one.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
The Paki knives are probably made of low carbon steel from scrapped ships. That stuff makes good structures but cannot be hardened, except by case hardening, enough to take or hold a good edge.

Try looking on line for a small batch supplier of tool or high carbon stainless steel. If you are froging your own knives automobile and truck springs are excellent knife metal. Just be certain you heat treat them properly.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
I recommend a knick knack store in Santa Fe that sells desert pigeon metal works. And all kinds of cool knick knacks of any and almost every kind. My wife and I were there last week and bought one for the living room. About $29.63 with New Mexico sales tax and worth every penny and then some cents that we didn't have to pay. Makes a lovely gift, dudes.

Last edited by elkotronics; 04-30-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM

471 posts, read 976,787 times
New Mexico Pinion Coffee... Available at Albertsons and even cheaper at Trader Joes. In the red can, a classic and taste good too!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Paki knives are probably made of low carbon steel from scrapped ships. That stuff makes good structures but cannot be hardened, except by case hardening, enough to take or hold a good edge.

Try looking on line for a small batch supplier of tool or high carbon stainless steel. If you are froging your own knives automobile and truck springs are excellent knife metal. Just be certain you heat treat them properly.
A friend of mine made knives for years out of old two-man hand saw blades.... what lumberjacks used before chainsaws. Great steel and dirt cheap.
There's a huge cutlery biz in Pakistan, but often the folding knives do not have well fitting parts. You can tell when you go to open them.... they don't walk (slide open) or talk (click into place when opened) very well at all. Then there's junk steel......
Some great Damascus steel comes from Pakistan, though most of the best in the affordable level comes from India. Some amazing Damascus made in the US, but it's pretty dear.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,852,712 times
Interesting to know about Nambe! My "vintage " pieces will be valued even more. Years ago, I took a little Nambe votive candle to my host in the former East Germany. When I presented it to her, she was so delighted to receive it!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM

35 posts, read 52,440 times
I haven't read all of the posts yet...But, what was his favorite Restaurant here in NM? If I were you, I'd find a way to get him some of that food.

Personally, when I go out of town for a while, even if it's just a week, when I get back I can't wait to sink my teeth into a smothered green chile breakfast burrito from Twister's. Oh, I would include a picture of his favorite NM place, too. Just because nostalgia, y'know?

If he likes his chile, get some novelty food item from that one store in most malls, 'The Chile Addict' My parents once got a jar of Red Chile Strawberry preserves as a Christmas present...I can't think of anything else that says 'New Mexico' than something strange like that!

Green Chile peanut brittle, if you think he'd like it, would be good, too! Or a string of chili lights. Seriously, check out that store. Here's a link: The Chile Addict Home Page - Everything Hot! Featuring hot sauces, salsas, new mexican foods, ceramic chile kitchenware, ceramic address tiles, new mexican cookbooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico