U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,128,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Since one isn't allowed to express strong opinions about green/redchile in this section, I'm just going to say that the stuff is fairly over-rated.
You can express any strong opinion you wish, no matter how wrong it is.

Kidding aside, what does your opinion on the taste/flavor of chile have to do with the OP?

Last edited by NMHacker; 06-22-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,615,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Since one isn't allowed to express strong opinions about green/redchile in this section, I'm just going to say that the stuff is fairly over-rated.

I was skeptical about NM chiles when I first moved here . Then, one day in late September of 2004, I had a hamburger at The Range Cafe in Bernalillo that had a whole, green chile on top of all the usual add-ons. That's the day I came to understand this thing about chiles in the Land of Enchantment. The next week, I bought a 40-pound bag and have never been without them since.

NM chiles make all the difference . . . sometimes subtly and sometimes in an in-your-face way.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:13 AM

1,732 posts, read 3,783,823 times
I'm with the normal people here. First introduced to the stuff when I started visiting regularly. Remember my first exposure at the now closed Las Mananitas and liked it but did not love it. By the time I'd lived there six months, I was eating the green 3-4 times a week. Now residing near Boston, it is one of only a few things I miss about NM but its a big thing!!! I make do with canned (Hatch and MP which I think is also Hatch ) which show up at my local Whole Foods and Trader Joes brand which claims to be Hatch as well. The whole canned chiles grill up pretty nicely.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,663,051 times
There was an episode on NPR a couple years ago regarding the New Mexico green chile.

Anyhow, you can listen to it here: It's Law: There's No Green Chili Like A New Mexico Green Chili : NPR

Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Green chili beer. Thanks Poncho.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM

9,044 posts, read 17,306,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I'm curious to know... I hear from people (friends mostly) who have visited New Mexico that rave about the green chile - green chile tacos, green chile burritos, green chile chili, green chile ice cream, green chile, green chile, green chile! My cynical side thinks this response to green chile by tourists is, in large part, due to an emotional response to the food (and its perceived connection to New Mexico), rather than the actual food itself tasting amazing (I think green chile is pretty tasty but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is amazing). I've also talked to people who were fairly indifferent to green chile prior to visiting New Mexico, then were die hard fans of it after visiting.

So where does this popular New Mexican food really stand? Is it really just a touristy-type food that was made popular to affix an identity to New Mexico, or is it something that is truly New Mexican, and has deep roots to the state and its people (and just happens to be popular)?
Put it this way, I am not native and have only been living here a year. If I were to ever leave New Mexico I would most definitely have a large quantity of roasted green chile shipped to me then I'd freeze it and still try and eat it as often as I do. It really is that good and I don't understand why it hasn't caught on as much elsewhere.

A big reason people have the reaction they do to it is an active ingredient - capsaicin, that triggers the endorphins and give a mild euphoria. (http://whatscookingamerica.net/JaneB...er-Science.htm)

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 06-25-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,013,019 times
I'll be visiting my daughter soon in PA and will surprise her with a cooler of frozen green chili. I'll have one very happy daughter.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,663,051 times
Quote:
It really is that good and I don't understand why it hasn't caught on as much elsewhere.
I think some part of it has to do with these chiles' connection to New Mexico. A person who is rather indifferent towards NM would judge the green chile primarily on taste alone. On the other hand, a person who likes New Mexico would try and increase his/her association with the state and therefore would have a reason to find something about the chile to love.

That is my theory anyway. People are inherently emotional about the things they like. You see the same thing with the hawaii-pineapple or chocolate covered macademia nut connection, texas-bbq or texmex connection, southern california - in-n-out burger connection, maryland - crabcakes connection... you name it.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I think some part of it has to do with these chiles' connection to New Mexico. A person who is rather indifferent towards NM would judge the green chile primarily on taste alone. On the other hand, a person who likes New Mexico would try and increase his/her association with the state and therefore would have a reason to find something about the chile to love.
I would disagree. NM Chile has caught on in a lot of places such as celebrity chef's. Just today I was at the Dentist waiting and fumbling through a People magazine. There was an article about summer grilling by some famous/celebrity chef. In the article he referred to NM chile on two different occasions. One was for a salsa and another for a bbq marinade. There was also a few recipes from other famous/celebrity chefs. One was for a dry rub which included the use of NM red chile. The articles/recipes specifically referred to New Mexico chile. Another example was the other day. I was looking for a new dry rub for smoked beef brisket. There was one on a very popular smoking site that looked very good and it also included New Mexico Red powdered chile. I see it all the time.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 AM

New Mexico Chile: America's best regional food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or