U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:38 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
HELLO: Look at my screen name: I lived in NM for several years and yes, I am aware of what Hatch Chili is. I know the history of the chili
Did you know it is spelled chile? :-)

Just giving you a hard time nmnita! I know you lived here for a good while, and I have read and appreciated your posts for years and certainly value your opinion. Just be glad you can get NM chile, Hatch or otherwise. Many others are not so lucky.

As regards chiles grown outside their 'native' region. I remember a couple of years ago I was in Norway and had some hamburgers for dinner at a 'grillfest' (backyard barbecue). Among the condiments were some pickled jalapenos of the type ubiquitous in Tex-Mex, and now in most parts of the US. I went to the fridge to find the bottle or can they came from, and right there was the jar with its label proclaiming "Don Julio Jalapeno Peppers". Looking close at the label, "Grown in India". :-)

Hey, I can't begrudge anyone. You take what you can get, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Did you know it is spelled chile? :-)

Just giving you a hard time nmnita! I know you lived here for a good while, and I have read and appreciated your posts for years and certainly value your opinion. Just be glad you can get NM chile, Hatch or otherwise. Many others are not so lucky.

As regards chiles grown outside their 'native' region. I remember a couple of years ago I was in Norway and had some hamburgers for dinner at a 'grillfest' (backyard barbecue). Among the condiments were some pickled jalapenos of the type ubiquitous in Tex-Mex, and now in most parts of the US. I went to the fridge to find the bottle or can they came from, and right there was the jar with its label proclaiming "Don Julio Jalapeno Peppers". Looking close at the label, "Grown in India". :-)

Hey, I can't begrudge anyone. You take what you can get, right?
Well I do know that but I had a mind slippage or I just got the spelling of chili and chile confused.

Oh and as for getting them: the first year they appeared here and we bought about 20 lbs, the poor grocery people, from the produce dept. to the check out counter, thought we had lost our minds. They had no idea what they were, much less what we would do with them. I don't get as many strange looks anymore.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
When time for Chile comes. I always ask for the Non-Hatch Chile. IMHO, Green Chile from Lemitar, Belen, Los Lunas, South Valley Abq and Corrales taste better for some reason.
We used to get ours from a guy in the Belen area cause that is where we lived. Our neighbor and I would go together, buy them, have them roasted and then bag them up for our winter and spring cooking. I am just glad we can get them here, I don't care what they are called or where they are from. I do think, the name "Hatch" is just something we are all used to using. Heck, I don't know for sure, the ones we get here are actually from Hatch but I assume they are.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM

1,932 posts, read 3,128,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We used to get ours from a guy in the Belen area cause that is where we lived..
Florian or Gene Padilla in Jarales?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM

471 posts, read 721,306 times
In season, there is a guy who parks on Rt 47 by the Manzano expressway in Belen with a roaster and for a fee, will roast all the chiles you want.

I am a red chili fan myself, green becomes my "backup plan"!

Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
In season, there is a guy who parks on Rt 47 by the Manzano expressway in Belen with a roaster and for a fee, will roast all the chiles you want.

I am a red chili fan myself, green becomes my "backup plan"!
We never got it from him, but I certainly saw him often enough. We only lived a few miles from there. I don't remember the name of the guy we used, as our friends used to pick them up but I am thinking it was Padilla?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 AM

We got our Hatch chiles on Wed, roasted them yesterday and they are in freezer awaiting our using them throughout the winter months Oh, and these did come from Hatch. In fact the box had an order sheet for ordering them on line. I will pass on that, I have checked the price in the past..

Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,051,663 times
I love it. Every time I go to NM, I eat it on everything.

I'm pretty sure if I could inject it with a needle I would. Not sure why... it adds a unique flavor that's addicting.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM
N8!

2,409 posts, read 4,429,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
When time for Chile comes. I always ask for the Non-Hatch Chile. IMHO, Green Chile from Lemitar, Belen, Los Lunas, South Valley Abq and Corrales taste better for some reason.
My dad developed his own variety of chile down in Los Lunas. I occasionally will plant some of his seeds.

But since I haven't had the time to grow a small crop, my family just get their supply from Togami Farms in El Cerro.

Yum.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM

328 posts, read 526,287 times
I work for a hotel in Madison,WI. We use them for many different things, mac n cheese, breakfast enchilada's, pork sandwiches, calamari...its nearly a staple in our kitchen. We also get in regularly top shelf Wisconsin cheeses in which they pair very well with certain ones. Green Chili's are a lot of fun to work with and add surprising results to many different items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or