Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,489,740 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know... I hear from people (friends mostly) who have visited New Mexico that rave about the green chile - green chile tacos, green chile burritos, green chile chili, green chile ice cream, green chile, green chile, green chile! My cynical side thinks this response to green chile by tourists is, in large part, due to an emotional response to the food (and its perceived connection to New Mexico), rather than the actual food itself tasting amazing (I think green chile is pretty tasty but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is amazing). I've also talked to people who were fairly indifferent to green chile prior to visiting New Mexico, then were die hard fans of it after visiting.

So where does this popular New Mexican food really stand? Is it really just a touristy-type food that was made popular to affix an identity to New Mexico, or is it something that is truly New Mexican, and has deep roots to the state and its people (and just happens to be popular)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,039,950 times
Lets put it this way. Many New Mexicans buy a gunny sack full of Green Chile and roast it. We then freeze it for use through out the year. My particular family shares 3 sacks with my brother. It's not just green chile. Red is also important to our culture and food.

We put it on nearly everything. Just grilled up some burgers that we ate with green chile.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,362,645 times
When I was in college at UNM forty years ago, an Hispanic friend from southern New Mexico told me that while green chile had been greatly popularized by gringos, the old school Hispanics favored red chile. And that is what his parents and grandparents ate. Perhaps red chile was easier to preserve way back then. Don't know if it others agree with his perspective but I have since developed a deep appreciation of red chile which is my favorite if prepared well. But I also buy two gunny sacks of green chile every year and freeze it.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,556,521 times
I really miss NM Chile. The El paso canned stuff is not the same.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,235,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Ditto. Miss the smell in the fall, the ability to either open my freezer or go out to a restaurant and get something smothered in green at any time. Heck, we don't even have Bueno here!
I ordered some Big Jim seeds and planted them this year. Here's hoping to copious amounts to roast on the grill come fall.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,791,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Ditto. Miss the smell in the fall, the ability to either open my freezer or go out to a restaurant and get something smothered in green at any time. Heck, we don't even have Bueno here!
I ordered some Big Jim seeds and planted them this year. Here's hoping to copious amounts to roast on the grill come fall.
Good luck on the Big Jims! Might get me tarred and feathered to say so, but my homegrown (in WT) are just as good or better than what I can buy, even during chile season! There is nothing like going out in the morning, clipping a few, and roasting them for an omelet! High, sweet medium-hot flavor that you can't get any other way.

I like Joe Parker's the best. Those are not usually sold commercially (IIRC). They normally have uniform straight pods without shoulders that are easy to roast. They also have a medium heat.

Perfect chile.....enjoy!

The thing that bugs me about buying in big burlap bags is that they toss in whatever is available--broken, subpar/rotting and curled pods.

Never again.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,534,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I'm curious to know... I hear from people (friends mostly) who have visited New Mexico that rave about the green chile - green chile tacos, green chile burritos, green chile chili, green chile ice cream, green chile, green chile, green chile!
You forgot PANCHO VERDE CHILE CERVEZA (and others). This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end. 2012 & 2010 New Mexico State Fair Winner: Gold in the Vegetable/Spice beer category

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
So where does this popular New Mexican food really stand? Is it really just a touristy-type food that was made popular to affix an identity to New Mexico, or is it something that is truly New Mexican, and has deep roots to the state and its people (and just happens to be popular)?
Some New Mexican food stands out. It's not all about green chile. Carne Adovada which is a very popular New Mexico tradition which is marinated pork that has been cooked in red chile, garlic, oregano, and other family secret additions... My homemade Carne Adovada is made in batches of 20 pounds of pork. Some people like it and some don't. You could say that about food from just about any area. No, it's not really a "touristy-type food" food, some of it goes back several hundred years.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-19-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,357,063 times
Green Chilie went on and in everything I ate there! I love the taste and aroma and how it helps me breathe better. Ill be going for a few bags this summer.

The only thing I thought was gross was the beer.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I usually pick up the Trader Joes brand green chiles (to use in my carne asada quesadillas!), but now that I think of it, the Trader Joes brand stuff is probably just repackaged Old El Paso chiles. Lol.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
You forgot PANCHO VERDE CHILE CERVEZA (and others). This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end. 2012 & 2010 New Mexico State Fair Winner: Gold in the Vegetable/Spice beer category
I'm a big fan of odd-ball beers, so I'm going to have to try that stuff out! Although I doubt they distribute out to southern california.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico