Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,357,063 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into Clayton ? It does get very cold at times in the winter but summers arent that hot. Crime isnt a problem and houses are cheap. The zip is 88415 but the local realtors are bigcountryrealty.com and cattletownre.com ( i thnk the last one is correct.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 35,308 times
Alamogordo or Tularosa are good places. The weather is very similar to Yucca Valley, CA if you know where that is. We are moving to Alamogordo when we sell our home. Silver City is nice, just colder in the winter as it is higher in elevation... good luck

Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,517,630 times
I agree with Blanco as Alamogordo and the Sacramento mountains area is my favorate place in New Mexico. Glad your moving to Alamogordo, Blanco. Lots of happening things going on there....

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM

48 posts, read 222,505 times
Default looking for a n.m. retirement sopt......

Check out Deming n.m. charming small town.15,ooo population. winery, museumes, beutiful state parks becca aquidic swimming complex,lots of things to do and see.low crime,99.9% PURE WATER.4500 ft,platu cool nights very low humidety.easy winters 1to2 inchs of snow gone by mid morning.golf most of year. mimbes hospital offering wide array of services.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 PM

48 posts, read 222,505 times
p/s.... Did I forget to tell you just bought 5 acres 5 miles out of town. beutiful Florida mountin views,for retairement/invedtment.cornor lot and 34.oo per year taxs1 mile off hwy.11.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,273,581 times
I would say Placitas, Algodones, areas out on north 14 or maybe even Santa Fe would be your best bet. Close in to medical care. Plenty of stuff to do in the Abq area. Tons of bike and hiking trails.

Alamogordo and Tularosa would also be nice but there are less things for you to do.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:26 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,064,215 times
Placitas is way expensive -- but may not be from a CA mindset. It is a lovely area but if you go to the other side of the freeway like I did you can get much more for your money. I paid $240K for a great house with beautiful views that would easily have been $400K in Placitas.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,938,307 times
Default climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoometoo View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. I would like to retire in New Mexico. I don't know what city but I am looking for a city which has a mild climate similar to Southern CA where I live. A little rain is fine. I am not concern about the cost but that it is a safe place with good recreation and medical facility. I love to run and bicycle.

If you have a place in mind for me to check out, could yoiu also give me the zip code so I can go to realtor.com for housing.
I grew up in Las Cruces, and it probably has the mildest weather in the state, but I wouldn't exactly call it mild by (coastal) California standards... 100+ degree temps in summer (thought not that often) and surprisingly cold at night in winter (occasionally into the teens, though more often lows are in the 20s-30s). It rarely snows, but that's more because it's so dry in winter, lots of nights it's cold enough for snow if the moisture was there. You're not likely to get much rain any time of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I love New Mexico's dry desert and mountain climates, but I don't want you to get the wrong idea. There's nowhere in New Mexico with a climate remotely like SoCal -- it's generally much drier, much hotter in the summer and much colder in the winter. If you're looking for something more tropical you might prefer south texas -- plenty of heat and humidity for you down there.

As for recreation, NM is not universally developed for recreation (for example, LC doesn't have lots of bike lanes) but the terrain is certainly there and the state has tremendous unspoiled natural beauty. Plus, you're not always fighting off all the other recreational users like you would in AZ, CO, or especially your home in California.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:34 PM

35 posts, read 237,267 times
Default Try Albuquerque

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. I would like to retire in New Mexico. I don't know what city but I am looking for a city which has a mild climate similar to Southern CA where I live. A little rain is fine. I am not concern about the cost but that it is a safe place with good recreation and medical facility. I love to run and bicycle.

If you have a place in mind for me to check out, could yoiu also give me the zip code so I can go to realtor.com for housing.
I live in SoCal, too, and my husband and I find Albuquerque to be our ideal place. The weather is a little colder in the winter than where we live now, but the summers are no hotter and the nice thing is that it always cools off at night, unlike here where you sometimes need to run the A/C at night. It's a bit drier, too, but pleasantly so unless you like humidity. We have a small house in the 87123 ZIP code area where we hope to retire eventually; for now we're renting it out. Our realtor lives in that same area (less than a mile from our house) and loves it, so you might check it out.

Albuquerque has good medical facilities and lots of recreational opportunities with the Sandia mountains nearby (very close to the ZIP code I listed), a river with a nature center that has lots of hiking trails through the cottonwood forest, skiing in winter, and so forth.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 AM

10 posts, read 39,968 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I too am thinking about retiring to NM after having been retired for 9 years (at an early age) in the Sierra Vista, AZ area. S.V. is great except for two things: cost of living and distance to the nearest "large" city of Tucson (about 1 1/2 hours). I'm looking into Roswell, Las Cruces, and Alamogordo with two (very) wild cards, Albuquerque and Silver City. Have been to Silver City and IMO it seemed pretty remote and the roads going to anywhere are pretty curvy, it seemed to take a long time to get anywhere. I bicycle for fun/fitness/recreation so good shoulders and no loose/roaming dogs are very important. The wife would like a place where she has a choice of which stores to shop in, and not having to go to just one or two places all the time.
So, any feedback on this is welcome. Also, as a small contribution, let me provide a few climate links for further reference:
Link for morning and afternoon relative humidity:
http://ggweather.com/ccd/avgrh.htm
Link for comparative state data for S.W. (Western Region Climate Center):
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/COMPARATIVE.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico