U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,161,406 times
queensbrook,

Could you clarify? Are you living in Las Vegas NM or NV? It sounds like you are saying you are in Nevada.

I don't know anything about Los Lunas...but I would guess they do not get much snow....and housing may still be reasonable there.

Santa Fe is very expensive as far as housing goes. Santa Fe does get snow.

Los Lunas and Santa Fe are two very different areas. I am wondering why you are interested in those two places in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,251,353 times
queensbrook asked:

> does it snow much in that area??

Can you define "snow much?" What would you consider "much?"

> i`m sure the homes are somewhat cheaper ...

Las Vegas is an inexpensive area - relatively speaking.

You'll get much faster answers by using the search function
and searching on [snow] or [weather] and [Albuquerque].

Los Lunas and Santa Fe weather are similar to Albuquerque
with Santa Fe a few degrees cooler and Los Lunas very
slightly warmer.

Try The Weather Channel for your research.
National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report
That way, you can get the answers you want as opposed
to what people want you to know.

You posted a couple of times in the Denver and Colorado
forums in March. Did you decide the snow was too much
for you there?

If you hate the snow and you hate the heat, check out
Las Cruces or Tucson as a compromise. Tucson is nothing
like Vegas in terms of heat and it is much cooler at night.
Las Cruces might get snow once during the winter and rarely
goes over 100 degrees.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
Question Arizona or New Mexico to Retire?

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I too am looking to hopefully retire in New Mexico or Arizona. I now live in the eastern NC area (transplant from upstate PA).

I am thinking of an active 55+ community, not expensive to live nor expensive for housing (perhaps a condo or small house), a SAFE area, MD, (dentist etc) and hospitals in the area. Close to food-clothing-wine shops. Good weather, I do not want to live in air 24/7. I do enjoy the 4 seasons but not too much snow and cold!

Good places to eat without going broke, events and other actitivies are good, close to a major city.

The more I see this forum, NM seems like the crime is fairly high.

I am open to ALL suggestions as the best place to retire in these two states. I like the "Been-there-done-that' info instead of me saying "UH-OH!-wish I-never moved-there!"

Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM

693 posts, read 2,138,875 times
Default Green Valley, Az

Google Green Valley, AZ. I live here. It is a 55+ unincorporated community with about 23,000 people. It is located 25 miles south of Tucson. Altitude of 3,000 ft. The summers do get warm, but the winter weather makes up for it. The main builder, Meritage Homes, is offering great incentives to build. There are all kinds of homes for sale. We are selling our four year old home and downsizing to a different part of Green Valley. (our home is listed under classified ads, with photos, in the forum) We have 12 recreation centers and a 13th just being built. The fee for rec centers is just under $400 per year...a real bargain because you can use any of the rec centers. Many have hobby clubs. Homeowners Assoc dues are under $400 yearly. This is an almost crime free community with all of it looking very neat and clean...no bad areas in the entire town.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 PM

12,998 posts, read 23,818,152 times
There is no 55 and older retirement communities in NM like in Arizona or Floriida. But there are communities with high Retirees and Sunbirds and those are.....

Las Cruces....population 95,000
Alamogordo..................40,000
Deming........................20,000
Tor C............................7,500

Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,519,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
I am very interested in this thread as I am presently in Central Arizona (Verde Valley), but have gone on many exploration visits to NM in the recent past, and am looking to relocate. The summers in the Verde Valley of Arizona are too uncomfortable for me, and the area is devoid of the essence of what I consider to be important in life (enough about that). These are some notes from NM areas I scouted the past two years - Silver City (SC & the surrounding areas my top choices, albeit concerns over water and air particulate issues from mining, possible medical care availability issues), Cloudcroft (too high, too cold in winter, lovely place), T&C (town felt 'weird', but people told me it starts to make sense when you understand the community), Chloride (visited smaller places like this - all too isolated), Albuquerque (nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there, cold winters, outlying areas interesting), Sante Fe (cold winters, housing costs sky-high, culture & activities very good, food choices excellent), Las Cruces (too hot in summer, air quality).

I'll be checking back on what you folks are doing. It's a tough nut on us in and near retirement who are of modest means. Especially those of us who have lost our husband and/or wife (such as I have). More of us now seek solace from the noise, sprawl, expense, heat, humidity, traffic, air quality, etc. from where we came. Those of us who want to downsize our prior lifestyles, work less, volunteer some of our time to nourish our humanistic needs, take the time to daydream, have a cup of hot chocolate & watch the stars at night. These are things we need now at this juncture of our lives.

I'm fortunate to have had a rich life in prior years, the California lifestyle before it got too costly and too crowded, the NY/NE experience of small towns, farmers cooperatives, cross country skiing, roaring fireplaces while snowbound, running with the dogs on open meadows full of buttercups, bicycling through historic villages, I've delighted in the suave character of the sub tropics, the flavors and culture of South Florida's humid climate before the costs and the crowds overtook it. I've dined on fresh Stone Crabs, shrimped on the bay, watched the old guys smoking cigars and playing dominoes while sounds of Celia Cruz wafted through the wet Miami air. I've savored gauva/cream cheese pastries with strong espresso cafes. I've enjoyed many iced coconut shells split open by machete with the juice sipped through straw, ate fresh shrimp spit-cooked on split sugar cane, and had that feeling of the bracing cold preceding a tropical storm. These (and many other thoughts) are memories I'll take to the grave, but there's still living to do now! To find a more peaceful, livable environment to live out the contemplative years, that's my goal now. How 'bout you friend?
Brian-2, as I read your post about your needs (stable & moderate weather, affordability, etc) and your obvious fondness for Latin culture it occurs to me that, although this is a New Mexico thread, you might look somewhere farther south: Ajijic, Lake Chapala or similar places in Jalisco, Mexico. It's extremely Gringo friendly, the weather is perfect year-round(the land of eternal Spring) and, though it's more expensive than some other Mexican areas, it's very affordable by US standards. There is an English library, English radio station, good medical care, and it's less than an hour to Guadalajara. I might also suggest Lake Patzcuaro in Michoacan. People probably expect me to suggest San Miguel de Allende, but I think that's pretty pricey though very attractive.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,908,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimazda View Post
wonder how resident earn thier living, school etc.. in Timberon. Heard pave road going thru there already. Have anyone been there recently and can update me on timberon. Is most road in town(timberon) are pave or dirt road. mostly when I check on real estate, the home they have for sales are mobilehome?manufacture home. Is this typical up there? Thank in advance every one.
The road is paved into Timberon from Cloudcroft. But in town most are gravel roads. School - the kids are bused to Cloudcroft. As for work, some are employed in town, some go out to Cloudcroft or Alamogordo. Some work out of town a week or two at a time. But many are retired and enjoy the piece and quiet. Many of the homes are mobile or Mfg homes. But there are stick built ones for sale also. If you are considering moving there I would suggest you visit Timberon. Many have their 2nd homes there.
Read the Timberon threads that might give you answers you want.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 AM

7,437 posts, read 4,661,490 times
Las Cruces is my favorite

Best weather in all of NM Still small (maybe not for NM standards) and manageable. Lots of character with old Mesilla almost being part of Cruces. Very scenic and nearby El Paso provides a big city getaway. Most anemities are present. College town and in top five places to retire. Plenty of golf and outdoor activities.

Las Cruces, New Mexico Convention & Visitors Bureau]

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,908,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
I'm looking in NM for a place to retire and your description of Timberon excites me, I live in Peoria Illinois at this time, actually I spent 40 years in Chicago, which is a great city if you don't mind the cold winters, however I don't like the hot and humid summers of the South either. Timberon seems to have the ideal climate for me. But, is Tiberon a town where people live or just a State park to visit on weekends?
Tito,
Timberon is a town, with about 350 residents. Many come up for their 2nd home. It is not a state park, but you have the Lincoln Natl Forest at the back door. Winters are not as bad as Chicago - been in both for the winter.
We have a good EMT program, and you can get some medical in Cloudcroft, but Alamo is the closest hosp. We are not like a town that has all the comforts, but once you are there, you see the beauty of the mountains.
If you have more questions please ask.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,161,406 times
medicinewheel8:

The only way I know of for you to make a choice about where to live is to visit the states you are considering...see as much of the states as you can....in the case of New Mexico, different areas of the state are quite varied.

If possible, try to visit the states/areas which interest you more than one time, perhaps at different times of the year. Do a lot of research while you are visiting and find out everything you need to know regarding your own personal needs, but also to get a flavor for the culture and lifestyle of the area. New Mexico is very different from every other state and you will only know if you want to live there by experiencing it in person. It is not for everyone, but for those of us who love it, there is really no other choice about where we want to live.

My choice is Santa Fe. The beauty of northern NM has always appealed to me, as well as the weather, which I find to be perfect. But we are all different and you would need to decide which works best for you.

Good luck in your search and your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico