U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 21,210 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to Farmington later this month to work at the IHS hospital in shiprock. I have a wife and two kids. I'd appreciate any advice on what areas of the city , or surrounding areas, are to live in and have good schools. Also what are rent, for a three bedroom, and utilities going for on average.
What are some of the good ,and bad qualities of the town and surrounding areas?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeller186 View Post
I am possibly moving to Farmington later this month to work at the IHS hospital in shiprock. I have a wife and two kids. I'd appreciate any advice on what areas of the city , or surrounding areas, are to live in and have good schools. Also what are rent, for a three bedroom, and utilities going for on average.
What are some of the good ,and bad qualities of the town and surrounding areas?

thanks in advance.
I'd stay in the north/east/NE parts of town. If I had kids in school here, I'd go for the Piedra Vista High School district.

Utilies are very reasonable, as Farmington has its own electric service. I pay electric, water/sewer/trash in one bill to the city, and the highest my combined bill has ever been is $175. Compared to what I typically paid in West Texas, that is CHEAP.

If you want to be closer to Shiprock, you do have options on the west side of town--but choose carefully. I looked at a lot of areas in 2006-7, and preferred the east side of town. I am in a subdivision barely on the east side that is more remote (still within the city limits, but the line is close) and up on a bluff.

I have no idea on the rent, since I haven't rented here.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 09-01-2013 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the info Cathy. That helps me quite a bit. I have seen on other forum threads, although 5-8 years old that the north, and easters areas were better but just wantes to be sure.
Also according to some posts racism is big in the area, is that true? I respect everyones beliefs even if I dont particularlly agree with them. My kids are taught to look on the inside of someone for the good or bad not the outside.
Thanks again for the info

Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeller186 View Post
Thanks for the info Cathy. That helps me quite a bit. I have seen on other forum threads, although 5-8 years old that the north, and easters areas were better but just wantes to be sure.
Also according to some posts racism is big in the area, is that true? I respect everyones beliefs even if I dont particularlly agree with them. My kids are taught to look on the inside of someone for the good or bad not the outside.
Thanks again for the info
Farmington has a very rough history of racism (Anglo-Navajo), but it seems to have gotten better in recent years. In 1974, three white teenagers tortured and killed three drunken Navajo men (the story is documented in Rodney Barker's The Broken Circle, written in 1992 or 3). They got off very lightly, and I would guess that there has been quite a bit of simmering anger and resentment, even to this day. There are claims that racism has cut across all areas--schooling, lending, services, etc. BUT...like everything else, it's not all one-sided--not at all.

Good luck! Farmington has a lot to offer, even with its faults. I personally have no regrets about coming here.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM

186 posts, read 283,230 times
I used to drive there now and then. Where I lived had few resources, Farmington was the "big town". I prefer to live the mountains in summertime and down by the border for the winters. Both summer heat and winter cold suck, AFAIAC

Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Well I have lived in central Florida, southern Alabama, and western Pennsylvania,all humid as he**. Gets cold as he** in western pa at times. So it will be more of a bearable climate with the less snowfall than where I am now , a few tears ago we got over 3 feet overnight, and my family and I don't really mind the temperature it's more the humidity that kills me..we visited my dad in Phoenix a few years back in August and were fine.
I know racism is everywhere nowadays and you can't really avoid it. Although I can't let the thought of an area being racist, I'm Anglo, keep me from wanting to move there, if I do the racists, even if they are from my own race, have won. All I can do is teach my kids to respect everyone, and treat others as they would want to be treated.
Thanks for all your input and advice.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Yes, you will like the dry climate! This area has the best weather in the world, save the drought.

We are about 5 inches of rain YTD, and Farmington in the past typically seemed to get 8-10 inches a year in combined rain/monsoon and snow.

The summers are hot, but not nearly as hot as I was used to....but I spend a lot of my summers in Durango, so I escape much of it.

Winters are fairly cold, but nothing like you're used to in PA--it's a very dry cold, all the difference in the world. If I were staying NM, I'd stay right here.

As far as racism goes, yes, it is everywhere, and on BOTH sides. As far as I'm concerned, what is between the ears is vastly more important than what is on the outside.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,632 times
BKeller186...I was born and raised in the Four Corners. Our family moved back here in 2009. It has been a good move for us as our opportunities are better here in Farmington. We have two small kids and the outdoor possibilities, being so near Colorado, are endless. It's a very mild four season climate without any real major weather problems (outside of the modest flooding we just experienced!)
I live and work here, and wouldn't change that. We have been renting since we moved back, and are about to buy in the next few months. Renting is not a good long term idea here, as it can be expensive. A small 3/2 will cost you around $1,000 a month, if not more.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,673 times
Default Tarantulas

How likely are you to see tarantulas in Farmington/Aztec?
I know how stupid this is, believe me, I know, but that is my one qualm about moving to northern New Mexico.
How frequently do you see them? Is it true that they will come into your house through a dog door? I have heard this from several people.
Thanks,
SCOUT

Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 PM

21 posts, read 36,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdogscout View Post
How likely are you to see tarantulas in Farmington/Aztec?
I know how stupid this is, believe me, I know, but that is my one qualm about moving to northern New Mexico.
How frequently do you see them? Is it true that they will come into your house through a dog door? I have heard this from several people.
Thanks,
SCOUT
Not a stupid question, tarantulas can be a shock to interact with when they're in your personal space. The frequency of seeing them is a variable that changes quite a bit. I lived in Aztec for about 10 years and have visited farmington a thousand times; for supplies, and to hang with some of my friends.

Tarantulas are fairly common around the aztec ruins, and I've personally found a half dozen, all around the year. Granted, in the winter, I only saw one and it was inside that dome in the ruins, behind the stairs.. If you're in the areas of aztec where they have the buildings (not trailers) you probably won't run into any tarantulas at all; in my 10 years here, I haven't stumbled upon any at all.

Common sense will imply that areas that have frequent foliage, with the least human interference, will have the most insects. So long as you're somewhat perceptive, you probably wont be surprised if a tarantula pops up. If you live in a residential area, you most likely won't have to deal with any tarantulas, and even if you do, the ones in the area aren't too violent unless you go out of your way to provoke them.

As for farmington, I have heard a few stories, but nothing too serious. The arachnids (scorpions, tarantulas, etc) are a very common sight in the wilderness, and from time to time may come into town. You have relatively little to worry about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico