U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 AM

18,854 posts, read 49,263,556 times
I believe there was a recorded 3" in parts of low-lying Tucson, within the limits. Ill have to double check on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,043,963 times
Steve-o reported:

> I believe there was a recorded 3" in parts of low-lying Tucson, ...

OK then. Of course, 3" would be gone in 3 hours in Albuquerque.
It would probably be gone in 30 minutes in Tucson.

Cool, pictures, BTW. I neglected to point that out in my rant.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Steve-o reported:

> I believe there was a recorded 3" in parts of low-lying Tucson, ...

OK then. Of course, 3" would be gone in 3 hours in Albuquerque.
It would probably be gone in 30 minutes in Tucson.

Cool, pictures, BTW. I neglected to point that out in my rant.
Thanks for the comments.

However, my FIL said the snow in Carefree stuck around for over a day.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Steve-o relayed:

> > > I believe there was a recorded 3" in parts of low-lying Tucson, ...

> > OK then. Of course, 3" would be gone in 3 hours in Albuquerque.
> > It would probably be gone in 30 minutes in Tucson.

> However, my FIL said the snow in Carefree stuck around for
> over a day.

Snow sticking around in Carefree (which is around 2,000 ft high, BTW) on the cactus and N shadows of walls, automobiles is not the same as that which can annoy drivers in the streets.

(Elevation at Grand and McDowell and 19th - just to pick a representative spot is 1082 ft. That elevation spread is often enough to make the difference between rain and snow.)

I've seen 3" snowfalls in Albuquerque last for many days in the places where walls cast shadows.

As I wrote earlier: "Anyone who is worried about Phoenix snow should, in general, not be operating a motor vehicle in any circumstances."

Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM

266 posts, read 853,463 times
I was living in Tucson last year during its "blizzard" of sorts. About 1" in the central part of the city where I lived, and maybe 3 in Catalina Foothills. It was great fun building 6 inch tall snowmen at midnight, practically everyone in my neighborhood was out doing so. Granted, I lived near the university, and most residents are students who aren't sleeping at that time of night anyway - snow was a VERY welcome deviation from homework for the night. Folks I knew that had lived there for a long while said that was the first time the snow really "stuck" since the 80's. I took some similar pics of saguaros and palms covered in snow for the irony effect, and my family here got a pretty good kick out of them.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,833,047 times
Parts of Carefree in 2006 had several inches of snow. I was up there when it was all happening, it snowed for a good part of the day, stuck on the roads and there was at least 2'' built up on some of the roads. There was a good 6'' of snow in some parts.

Last winter I saw big wet flakes in Phoenix on 44th and Thomas. It doesn't happen much in central Phoenix but it does certainly happen on ocassion. North Scottsdale/Carefree see snow at least once every couple years.

Four peaks is actually the only part of Maricopa county that gets annual snow fall.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 18,023 times
Default thanks...

Thanks for all your input. Due to medical conditions, we have an issue with extreme cold weather. We will be visiting Sierra Vista, Az and Las Cruces, NM the end of this month to see if we can handle the winter weather over there. Again, thanks for all the info.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Parts of Carefree in 2006 had several inches of snow. I was up there when it was all happening, it snowed for a good part of the day, stuck on the roads and there was at least 2'' built up on some of the roads. There was a good 6'' of snow in some parts.

Last winter I saw big wet flakes in Phoenix on 44th and Thomas. It doesn't happen much in central Phoenix but it does certainly happen on ocassion. North Scottsdale/Carefree see snow at least once every couple years.

Four peaks is actually the only part of Maricopa county that gets annual snow fall.
Thanks for sharing! Im glad someone was actually there to back me up. Just dont tell Mortimer.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Steve-o whispered:

> Originally Posted by uconn99
> Parts of Carefree in .... at least 2'' built up on some of the roads.

How long was it *on* the roads? An hour? <Snort!> Two? <SNORT!>

> Last winter I saw big wet flakes in Phoenix on 44th and Thomas.

Yeah, but was it sticking to the roads? Huh? Huh?

> North Scottsdale/Carefree see snow at least once every couple years.

Every couple of years? Wow. I sure hope I can adjust my automotive behavior.

It snowed at my house last night. The cactus were beautiful and the snow was decorating the tops of all the fake adobe walls in the neighborhood. -- Absolutely lovely and the roads were clear of snow as I made my way to work.

> Thanks for sharing! Im glad someone was actually there to back
> me up. Just dont tell Mortimer

Too late. He's a snitch!

I'm still sticking to my original statement:

MS> Phoenix, Tucson, .... It almost never snows there and the
MS> snow doesn't count since it *might* last an hour on the roads.

I also said:

MS> Anyone who is worried about Phoenix snow should, in general,
MS> not be operating a motor vehicle in any circumstances.

I really really mean that.

I also said:

MS> You are picking at nits.

I really really mean that.

Your snow in Phoenix is like Towanda's [It gets HOT in Las Cruces]
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

To quote an old Monty Python line from the Frenchman:
>>>>>>> "I ____ in your general direction." <<<<<<

Old 12-12-2007, 01:35 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,050,181 times
HEY! don't get me into this discussion!!! I get into enough trouble on other threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico