Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,395,359 times

Advertisements

I have visit the N NM mountains at a location about 8600 feet above sea level between Taos and Angel Fire. I saw snow on the peaks in Aspen and monitor Angel Fire web cams but have seen no indication of a first snow. When does it typically occur? A trip is planned for Nov sometime and this info might help me set the dates. Last year at Thanksgiving, we had accumulated snow on the north facing mountains but not in the valley or South facing mountains.

Any guidance on this year's snow as it occurs is welcomed as well as the theoretical hard to answer when is typical for first snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,176,852 times
There's a chance of it today, but if it doesn't happen, the forecast is going to be at least two weeks.

I bet we'll see something late October for a dump of snow up there.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,392,334 times
On the NWS Albuquerque facebook page they posted a picture of the first noteworthy snow of the season in the Sangre de Cristos on Sept. 22. Here it is:

Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 AM

4,857 posts, read 4,787,515 times
We were just in Angel Fire for a few days. We were at 9,000 feet had a snow rain mix Friday night, but nothing stuck. There was snow on Baldy (peak only) and a few other peaks to the north end of the Moreno valley and further north. Nothing on the Angel Fire ski runs.

There is no good way to predict the snow on Thanksgiving. We could get the snow Zoidberg predicts in October, and by Thanksgiving it could be gone, twice as deep, or somewhere in between.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Our fall trip is finally scheduled, will be in Taos/Angel Fire area around Nov 15. I assume we might well see snow this time of year as the place we stay is 8600 ft elevation and on the north facing side of a mountain.

We are prepared for cold weather when out and about.

Cant wait to get back out to NM again and see the early signs on winter, perphaps.

Thanks for the earlier reports and early snowfall picture in the moutains.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM

10,740 posts, read 23,788,738 times
I saw a bit of a dusting of snow covering the crest on the Sandias this morning on my way to work.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I saw a bit of a dusting of snow covering the crest on the Sandias this morning on my way to work.
Thanks, I could see a good amount of snow on Angel Fire Resorts web site webcams. The place I go to is not too far from angel fire valley and is similar in elevation so I use it as a proxy for what the conditions are where I stay. Looks like a good amount of snow happened early this week with the front passing through.

Any good ideas of things to do in this season up near Taos/Angel Fire or down around SF which is just an hour and a half away?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,746,603 times
Yes, there was a good snow and some muddy dirty roads yesterday in the area.

I would certainly drive out to the Rio Grande gorge bridge & hike a little along the gorge trail. Then I would drive out a bit further to see the earthship community. Google their website to see if there will be a tour while you are there. Eat at Michael's Kitchen & Orlandos for good new mexican food. Visit San Francisco de Assisi Mission Church in Ranchos. Go to the Taos plaza & then walk some of the neighborhood lanes west of the plaza, plus Ladeux, Bent, etc. The stores have a historic map you can follow. Have fun!

Old 11-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the great input. Also on Saturday the guys would like to find a good sports bars to watch the football games. The place we stay does not have a TV. Thanks in advance

Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 4,787,515 times
There's no sports bar, per se, in Angel Fire. Check with Zeb's on 434. They had a couple of TVs the last time I was there (about 6 mos. ago). The bar upstairs at the AF country club may also have some TVs. I'm not sure what's at the hotel. The pizza place on the road heading up to the ski area has one TV. Angel Fired Pizza, upstairs and next to the market, has at least one big screen.

Other than that, you'll have to check in Taos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico