Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,636 times

Advertisements

I'm an east coast (Mid-Atlantic states) mid forties female. I've been offered a job in ABQ and I'm not sure if Albuquerque or Santa Fe are the best places to live. I will be coming out in Jan alone for about six months and then my husband and daughter will follow when she finishes school in June. I'm looking at renting casitas or something from a private renter over living in an apartment complex...partly for cost (we will still have a mortgage until we can sell or rent our house here on the east coast) and partly because I don't want my quality of life dependent on my neighbors. It's been a long time since I lived in an apartment, but one thing I do remember is the walls are usually paper thin.

Any info folks can share will be greatly appreciated. I am of course looking for safe areas and ones with the best schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Safe areas? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe.
Best schools? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe.
Short commute to Albuquerque? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe.
Low cost? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe.
Low rent? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe.
Better traffic? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe (hard to believe given the difference in population but it's true).

Albuquerque isn't perfect; just looks that way compared to Santa Fe.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Santa Fe is too long of a commute. The only people I know of that commute to SF have a spouse that works in Albuquerque. In the winter it can be even worse of a commute with shut downs due to snow and accidents. You can find safe areas and good schools in Albuquerque. Just plan and research and you will be good.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslooloo View Post
I've been offered a job in ABQ and I'm not sure if Albuquerque or Santa Fe are the best places to live.
I would say, find a place in the ABQ area, not someplace 60 miles away with a probable 1+ hour commute...

Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
I would never, ever ever want to make that commute every day. As everyone else said, find a place in or near ALBQ. Then visit Santa Fe, which by the way is a fantastic place, on the weekends.

The Albuquerque experts on here can give you ideas for areas. My friends raised their children in Rio Rancho/Paradise Hills areas & spoke highly of the schools.

Best of luck with the move!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 AM

65 posts, read 153,655 times
If the job is in Abq, live in Abq. I currently got a job near Abq, was commuting, and just finally decided to move. That commute is horrible!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 8,636 times
Thank you all for your comments. From my research, it looks like the NE and NW areas are the best places to live. I was told when I was out there touring with my potential employers that the public schools are not very good and I should plan on enrolling my daughter in private school. That's why I started considering the move to Santa Fe. My husband and I have 1 hr commutes now (and pretty much have always had long drives) to work..so that isn't much of a big deal to us. Of course if the road gets shut down a lot that is definitely problematic.

My biggest concerns are being safe while I am alone and then finding the best (affordable) school for our daughter. My understanding is the better private schools are 20K a year.....

Does anyone have an opinion on renting from a private owner over in a complex?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments. From my research, it looks like the NE and NW areas are the best places to live. I was told when I was out there touring with my potential employers that the public schools are not very good
You might look at this site:
Rio Rancho Schools - Rio Rancho, NM | GreatSchools
GreatSchools.org Search: albuquerque
Here is a list of Albuquerque area related "school" threads, lot of opinions including mine:

Montessori Schools in ABQ
Eastside 'vs' Westside schools
Best Elementary Schools in the North Valley/Los Ranchos?
Charter schools??
Are there any magnet schools for high-achieving students in ABQ?
Hoover MS/Eldorado HS - Questions about these schools & neighborhoods
Albuquerque elementary, middle schools
Good public schools in the Albuqueruqe Area
Any recommendations for schools in the North Valley?
How are schools in North Valley/Corrales Areas?
APS Assigning Students to Alternate Schools
charter high schools, are any still open for new students
Schools, jobs & relocation
Opinion on the best neighborhoods/schools in 2020?
So Cal to Albuquerque ...? about private schools
Charter schools in ABQ
Advice about Montessori schools
schools in rio rancho vs. ABQ ?
Albuquerque Schools..any good ones?
Foreign Lang. in Elementary Schools
elementary schools and daycare in Paradise Hills/Rio Rancho Area
Rio Rancho elementary and middle schools
Kirtland AFB Elementary Schools
middle and high schools in albuquerque
Schools in the Four Hills/Kirtland AFB Area
Rio Rancho to break from Albuquerque Public Schools?
Rio Ranco Schools... money problems?
Moving to ABQ, How about the schools
Private Schools in Rio Rancho?
Elementary Schools in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho
Schools in Rio Rancho (Colinas del Norte Elementary)
Best Public Schools & Neighborhoods in ABQ?
Best schools
ABQ Catholic schools?
Decent Schools
Albuquerque public schools! HELP!
Public Schools in ABQ
Albuquerque Public Schools

Quote:
There are good and bad ones.... I was a renter, then landlord/owner in a single family home in ABQ. I am now just a silent part owner. Renting, You might read through these threads:

ABQ Renting - How important are credit checks?
renting a house/condo
Looking For a Home To Rent
Looking for a rental...
Check local newspapers:
Albuquerque Journal Classifieds: ABQjournal Classifieds.

Rio Rancho Observer Classifieds: rr-www2.rrobserver.com: Classifieds

Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments. From my research, it looks like the NE and NW areas are the best places to live. I was told when I was out there touring with my potential employers that the public schools are not very good and I should plan on enrolling my daughter in private school. That's why I started considering the move to Santa Fe. My husband and I have 1 hr commutes now (and pretty much have always had long drives) to work..so that isn't much of a big deal to us. Of course if the road gets shut down a lot that is definitely problematic.

My biggest concerns are being safe while I am alone and then finding the best (affordable) school for our daughter. My understanding is the better private schools are 20K a year.....

Just as with anything in life it is all up to you. You can find good public schools in Albuquerque. You can find good safe areas in Albuquerque. It is all relative and depends on what you feel is comfortable for you. If you are so concerned of your child's education why spend 2+ hours a day on the road when you could spend that time educating, mentoring and guiding them in their young lives. As with any metro area there is good and bad. There is all sorts of scenarios. There are good schools in bad neighborhoods as an example. Every school is different and your involvement is key IMHO.

There are very safe gated neighborhoods. There is walkable urban areas. There are rural areas. etc ... etc... The metro area has 800k+ people. So, any type of living arrangement you are looking for you can find. I live in Old Town. The heart of the city. An Urban area. I feel safe there. Is there times that stuff happens? Sure? Preparation is key. Will you feel safe in Downtown/OldTown? Depends on you.

As for private schools? Again it is what you make of it. The $20k plus schools can have high dollar drug problems but they do have very good educational opportunities. That is why they charge that. Myself, I send my son to a local private Catholic School. $5k per year for K-8th grade. $10k for the High School were 94% of its students attend 4 year colleges. My choice on that school was more than just because I felt the local public schools were crap. There are several public schools that offer the same level of education but there are lot of other reasons I choose private.

As for the local private owners. There is a myriad of choices. Me and my wife own a couple of rental properties and believe we are good landlords. When I first moved here I rented from private owners and never had any issues.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
I forgot to mention..

Better private schools? Albuquerque beats Santa Fe.

As a product of public schools (even through the 18th grade) in Albuquerque in particular, I'd shy away from the private schools here unless all of the following characteristics are applicable to your family:

* You have chosen to live in a part of town with a bad selection of in-district schools (greatschools.org is usually not too far off).
* You have chosen to live closer to the private school than the public alternative.
* You have more money than you can spend. (Seriously, I'd take two more vacations a year before I'd pay to send my kids to something that has a free alternative.)
* You have picked a private school that actually has good ratings (some are actually quite bad despite being private, and I'm hard pressed to find any good private schools that are districted next to bad public ones)
* You want your kids to grow up with a more developed sense of power, entitlement and detachment. (Some kids need that, and some kids end up with too much of that despite a thoroughly public school education; it's just a mild bias I've noticed as my peers have aged along with me).

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a public v. private school debate; my reasoning is as follows:

*Private schools have a reputation for being superior to public alternatives, and that reputation is well-earned in most places, but it isn't the case in Albuquerque.
*I would, if I lived in a different part of Albuquerque, send my children to private school under certain circumstances.
*The most positive effect you can have on your child's education by school choice is keeping commute time to a minimum and family time to a maximum. Childhoods should be spent outside playing, not commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico