Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I am a New Mexican that has seen a UFO and/or had a paranormal experience in NM
YES 7 53.85%
NO 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:53 AM

147 posts, read 280,070 times

Advertisements

I would love to go to New Mexico to see a UFO.

For the open-minded non-cynical folk....have you ever seen anything up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:42 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
I haven't seen one...yet. But I've only been here since Jan. 2013. I'd be interested in reading about other's experiences, though.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I haven't seen one...yet. But I've only been here since Jan. 2013. I'd be interested in reading about other's experiences, though.
Welcome!

Have you had a chance to go by the White Sands area
Attached Thumbnails
Have any New Mexicans had any UFO experiences? Share your story here-white_sands_moon_-_clouds.jpg  

Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM

I have but have only stopped at the visitor's area for a bit. I need ta go back and spend some quality time there - it is beautiful!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I'm not a big believer in UFOs piloted by extraterrestrials but I seem to have some proclivity for being around such events. I lived at Clovis during the 1976 UFO events where even the newspaper and Sheriff departments became involved. Back then I was much younger and that night was definitely interesting to say the least. I was also in a business meeting at Phoenix on March 13, 1997, when the infamous triangle was seen by many over the City. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything that evening.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to meet and speak briefly with Glenn Dennis the mortician who was involved in the 1947 Roswell incident. Somewhere I have a gray alien hat pin he gave me. I met him at the UFO Museum at Roswell. The Museum is definitely worth a visit even if you have only a mild interest in such things.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm not a big believer in UFOs piloted by extraterrestrials but I seem to have some proclivity for being around such events. I lived at Clovis during the 1976 UFO events where even the newspaper and Sheriff departments became involved. Back then I was much younger and that night was definitely interesting to say the least. I was also in a business meeting at Phoenix on March 13, 1997, when the infamous triangle was seen by many over the City. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything that evening.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to meet and speak briefly with Glenn Dennis the mortician who was involved in the 1947 Roswell incident. Somewhere I have a gray alien hat pin he gave me. I met him at the UFO Museum at Roswell. The Museum is definitely worth a visit even if you have only a mild interest in such things.
well...I BELIEVE!!!!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
well...I BELIEVE!!!!
Lots of good folks do.

I forgot to mention that I once had a co-worker in D.C. in the 1990s whose father-in-law (FIL) was some sort of a scientist working in the field in NM during the 1947 Roswell events. This co-worker had told me his FIL was interviewed at some point during NM Congressman Steven Schiff's 1994 queries into the Roswell events. Schiff of course is now deceased. I never received any details on what was asked or what was known.

Interesting stuff or possibly I just have more interest than what I would like to admit.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Interesting how the 1947 Roswell incident continues to remain the granddaddy of all UFO events. That triangle above PHX in 1997 still seems to be so strange to me. Definitely something odd to it. Weather balloon, or flares of some sort? Bah!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Yes indeed. When I first came to New Mexico in the mid-1960s the city fathers in Roswell hid under their desks in shame when someone mentioned the alien crash. One of the last times I had the opportunity to drive through Roswell was on the 50th anniversary of the supposed crash. I thought I was back in New Orleans at Mardi Gras.

It is great fun to contemplate such things and it economically benefits a town that otherwise has no real claims to fame.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes indeed. When I first came to New Mexico in the mid-1960s the city fathers in Roswell hid under their desks in shame when someone mentioned the alien crash. One of the last times I had the opportunity to drive through Roswell was on the 50th anniversary of the supposed crash. I thought I was back in New Orleans at Mardi Gras.

It is great fun to contemplate such things and it economically benefits a town that otherwise has no real claims to fame.
My parents lived in S.E. New Mexico in the late 40's and early 50's. Dad worked oil fields and him and my mom would leave the old Airstream at the rv park and would drive in to Roswell on weekends, sometimes Carlsbad as well. They would get a room for the weekend to shop and to "kick up the heels " a tad, most notably at Scotties Night Club. They got to see some country people get their start, one who is very notable was the Lee Bell band who had a couple members (Tagg Lambert and George Clayburn) eventually join up with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

They were down there when "The Roswell Incident" occurred. From what my mom told me that a lot of the guys who Dad worked with thought it was kind of funny that "a bunch of little green men" dropped down to Roswell, of all places. Predictably a lot of the women who lived in the area didn't see the humor of any of it. To the day he passed my Dad thought it was a wild story. My mom felt just the opposite

High_Plains_Retired is right. I still like the area, but without a doubt Roswell has had its problems. To me it all started with the closing of Walker Air Force Base in the mid 1960's. And businesses left the area in the last 15 years where many were employed, one that comes to mind right away is the Levi Strauss Plant in 1997. I have a friend in the area and just the other day he told me that they announced Confections Candy factory is shutting down their plant, 75 or so people will be laid off.

. Like HPR, I was in Roswell in July of 1997 for the 50 year anniversary. Yep, the city went nuts that weekend! All the cable news networks had lots of equipment out there. There were thousands in town that weekend.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-02-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico