U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 PM

47 posts, read 96,494 times
Default New Mexico/Minnesota?

Today, 01:57 PM
Brantacanadensis

58 posts, read 2,089 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache
Gosh, you are so filled with negativity! Reading your posts makes someone think that Minnesota is a Hell(nothing could be further from the truth). Also, I was not going to respond to your trend about New Mexico, but let me tell you something, living in New Mexico made me realize how great Minnesota is, I can't even describe how civilized people are here in Minnesota compared to places like Arizona and New Mexico. New Mexico is a beautiful place, but the type of social problems they have there makes you want to live in MN and never go any other place. Santa Fe is a small town but they have high crime, the crime rate in just about any small town in NM is very high! It is one of the states with the highests incidence of DWI's in the nation, alcoholism in NM is epidemic, how many times have I seen people fighting in the middle of streets in Albuquerque, or worse yet, people passed out like in broad daylight because of alcohol. New Mexico schools are some of the worst in the country, there was even a high school in Espanola (town of 10000), where the police had to intervene and close the school because gangs were running the school. I tell you. Espanola is a town of 10000 and there is crime like all the time, why? Because there is so many desperately poor people in New Mexico, all they do is drink, use drugs and fight. You should read the police blotter for Espanola (Rio Grande Sun Police Reports), no town of 10000 people in Minnesota will have this amount of crime and disturbances. New Mexico is a beautiful place but you will see real poverty, in some ways, it is the armpit of the United States.

From Brantacanadensis:

I'll be certain to cut and paste your post on the New Mexico forum site. I'm sure they'll be interested to know how you feel about these issues. And, these issues aren't cultural issues - that is snobbish people, aloof people, insular people. These issues are issues of poverty. Issues of lack of good schools due to lack of property taxes, since it is a sparsely populated state. You don't understand the issues of poverty, immigration, geography. One could say the same about West Virginia - and has, but West Virginia has an issue with its geography - preventing it from developing as well as it would like. Armpit of US. Boy, I'm sad. I grew up with people on the East Coast saying that about New Jersey (I'm a native Easterner) and New Jerseyites saying it about themselves. Perhaps you yourself, in your smug Minnesota way, just couldn't tolerate being around people of color, immigrants, someone different from white. I know that is hard for Minnesotans. I work with some like that at the county office. They avoid the public floor due to the nature of the people. They can't tolerate the one on one contact with the public, so they have to change jobs within the department. And, you want to really know something - I hate being in training sessions with these workers, when it is necessary. I look forward to walking onto the first floor, up to my work area. But, then again, I'm not from Minnesota.

[+] Rate this post positively

Last edited by Brantacanadensis; 11-24-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Separating original post from my post (Brantacanadensis)

Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantacanadensis View Post
Today, 01:57 PM
Brantacanadensis

58 posts, read 2,089 times

Quote:
Gosh, you are so filled with negativity! Reading your posts makes someone think that Minnesota is a Hell(nothing could be further from the truth). Also, I was not going to respond to your trend about New Mexico, but let me tell you something, living in New Mexico made me realize how great Minnesota is, I can't even describe how civilized people are here in Minnesota compared to places like Arizona and New Mexico. New Mexico is a beautiful place, but the type of social problems they have there makes you want to live in MN and never go any other place. Santa Fe is a small town but they have high crime, the crime rate in just about any small town in NM is very high! It is one of the states with the highests incidence of DWI's in the nation, alcoholism in NM is epidemic, how many times have I seen people fighting in the middle of streets in Albuquerque, or worse yet, people passed out like in broad daylight because of alcohol. New Mexico schools are some of the worst in the country, there was even a high school in Espanola (town of 10000), where the police had to intervene and close the school because gangs were running the school. I tell you. Espanola is a town of 10000 and there is crime like all the time, why? Because there is so many desperately poor people in New Mexico, all they do is drink, use drugs and fight. You should read the police blotter for Espanola (Rio Grande Sun Police Reports), no town of 10000 people in Minnesota will have this amount of crime and disturbances. New Mexico is a beautiful place but you will see real poverty, in some ways, it is the armpit of the United States.

From Brantacanadensis:

I'll be certain to cut and paste your post on the New Mexico forum site. I'm sure they'll be interested to know how you feel about these issues. And, these issues aren't cultural issues - that is snobbish people, aloof people, insular people. These issues are issues of poverty. Issues of lack of good schools due to lack of property taxes, since it is a sparsely populated state. You don't understand the issues of poverty, immigration, geography. One could say the same about West Virginia - and has, but West Virginia has an issue with its geography - preventing it from developing as well as it would like. Armpit of US. Boy, I'm sad. I grew up with people on the East Coast saying that about New Jersey (I'm a native Easterner) and New Jerseyites saying it about themselves. Perhaps you yourself, in your smug Minnesota way, just couldn't tolerate being around people of color, immigrants, someone different from white. I know that is hard for Minnesotans. I work with some like that at the county office. They avoid the public floor due to the nature of the people. They can't tolerate the one on one contact with the public, so they have to change jobs within the department. And, you want to really know something - I hate being in training sessions with these workers, when it is necessary. I look forward to walking onto the first floor, up to my work area. But, then again, I'm not from Minnesota.

[+] Rate this post positively
Also, Lukeache, obviously you don't spend too much time in the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Where are you. In the white suburbs. Take a look in the city - you'll see plenty of drunks (usually white kids puking on the pavement), you'll see poverty (check out Phillips and North Mpls), ride the bus sometime (especially the #5, #21). Yea, a real Minnesotan usually has its head in the frozen earth - which is why he doesn't see these issues in his own state. They are there.

And, regarding the visibility of drunks passed out on the streets of New Mexico: perhaps one reason why you see them there, out in the open, is because their cops don't but them in car trunks on the way to the station, like has been done in the recent past in Minnesota (1990s).

Ah, but these problems don't exist in Minnesota. No, not if they are covered up, which they are.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:16 PM

http://www.madd.org/getdoc/4c6e983a-e0df-42c3-8c67-d4ec48f32e58/Progress-Report.aspx (broken link)

New Mexico is in the top 15 for good DUI rates (best in nation at #1). Minnesota ranks below that (in 20s area) and of course Wisconsin (much worse).

Trust me, New Mexicans, there are a lot of drunks in the Upper Midwest, and very, very weak laws. If they enacted laws, it would be considered an invasion of privacy. Also, alcoholism to them (Minnesota) is more of a sickness than a problem.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM

12,965 posts, read 22,995,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantacanadensis View Post
New Mexico it is the armpit of the United States.
We here in New Mexico are not surprised to see Lukeache say this about New Mexico as he has come on here before and insulted us. That's why when he does post something nice like ''New Mexico is so Beautiful etc'' we know its phoney.

Anyway i'll leave it at that and move on but we do know of his true thoughts of our State here.

6/3

Old 11-28-2007, 11:35 AM

32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
Why on Earth would I be considering retiring (actually still working for myself) in New Mexico considering some of these comments.

Let's see:

Climate, scenery, weather, good people (although I have to relearn Spanish to speak with some of them), food, opportunity, snow but not winter, and a lack of crowding, traffic jams, chaos and confusion, lower cost of housing.

Reasons not to move:

New England spring and fall, already own condo, lots of friends around here.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM

48 posts, read 60,983 times
Default A Minnesotan Outsider's Tale + Albuquerque -- FX Industry?

I found this site -- and this thread -- after googling for others who have had the frustrations my family and I have had in Minneapolis.

I've lived in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area for ten years.

As a whole, the experience has been awful.

Background:

"I've been here ten years. I've made a lot of acquaintances, but no friends."

That phrase was offered to my wife and I in 1999. We'd been in-state in Minnesota for nearly a year, and had been shocked by how hard it had been to make friends. When we talked to this co-worker she offered up that piece of advice.

She eventually moved back to New York. "Minnesota Nice", it seemed, finally won out.

Sadly, with only a couple of small exceptions, her words turned out to be prophetic. We've made a lot of acquaintances in the past ten years, but friends? A couple, sure...that we see very, very occassionally.

Oh, and for the record, those couple are from out of the area, too.

We made a really good go at fitting in up here. Got as involved as a couple and a family can in community projects, in business, even the arts.

None of it mattered; we were always the outsiders. That meant that just the right (or wrong) comment would be enough to put you on the outs.

My favorite example? After a trip down south to visit family relatives, I casually mentioned to a Minnesotan acquaintance (who I honestly thought was a friend) that, after six years up north, I was surprised at how warm and open southerners were in comparison to Minnesotans.

I might as well have pissed on this person's shoes. I got an icy eye, followed by condescending speaking to about making "generalities", and an angry sign-off.

Oh, yeah, and that acquaintanceship-- which had been going for well over a year -- ended on the spot.

Yes, yes, I know. This is how nature says "Do Not Touch". That doesn't erase the hurt at a relationship ended before its time, though.

Other examples:

* One acquaintanceship -- one that had lasted nearly a year -- ended when we mentioned how much we looked forward to retiring to a warmer climate.

* Another -- which involved a big group of creative locals, and involved a tight relationship between our children and another couples -- ended when a member of their clique decided on the spot not to like my wife and I. No reason; just instant loathing. Result? Eighteen months of long nights, chats, and what we thought were genuine connections severed in the space of one glance.

I have no need to exaggerate here. The reality is honestly this unpleasant.

Worse, being an outsider hurts our kids, too. It doesn't matter that our daughter doesn't remember any place but Minnesota. All that matters is that her friend's parents know we're from out of the area. The result? She's reminded by her local friends quite often that she, too, is not really a local.

Our older son? Same thing. He's already decided that when he graduates in two years he's going out of state immediately.

That's okay, we plan to follow him.

I don't share these stories to sound bitter. I share them to let others know that, no, you're not alone in your exasperation in dealing with Minnesotans.

For us, as I mentioned above, we've decided that enough is enough. Our goal is to be ready to move when my son graduates High School. That will make twelve years in Minnesota for us.

Which leads to some specific questions:

1. Recently, I've read that Albuquerque is starting to become a hub for Visual FX work for the left coast. Is this true?

2. With rising fuel prices (and fresh water concerns) how is the economy, state-wide?

Thanks,

Avindair

Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM

950 posts, read 2,031,606 times
Default Reply to Avindair

"Which leads to some specific questions:

"1. Recently, I've read that Albuquerque is starting to become a hub for Visual FX work for the left coast. Is this true?

"2. With rising fuel prices (and fresh water concerns) how is the economy, state-wide?

"Thanks,

"Avindair

I can help you with 2 more than 1.

2. The state-wide economy is good particularly considering the national economy.
a. NM is an energy exporting state, so it generally benefits from higher energy prices. We have the same shock at the pump as everybody else, of course.
b. NM, for reasons not clear to me, avoided the big housing bubble that characterized our Southwestern neighbors and many other states. We have a housing downturn, of course, but not in all areas. We and a few other mountain states seem to be doing the best in the nation.
c. Water is not in excess, but so far we do better than many. In part, this is because we have not had the relentless population growth that characterizes our southwestern neighbors or even the mountain states immediately north of us. In part, our water situation benefits from the New Mexico style that has for a long time emphasized native, water stingy plants -- depending upon the region of the state these include cactus, yucca, chamisa, the pretty but inelegantly named snake weed, native grasses, and other plants that I don't know. Blue grass is out.

1. Albuquerque seems to be the growth engine of New Mexico and has attracted jobs and is continuing to attract jobs in technology and film-making. Beyond that, I don't know specifics.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM

12,965 posts, read 22,995,065 times
I cant believe this thread has been brought back up as i thought it was dead. Although Lukeache hates New Mexico (called us the armpit of U.S.) i'll give him kudos as he does have decient taste in his listings of Classic Rock Groups over in the Music Forums.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 PM

45 posts, read 70,917 times
Avidair, we went through the same thing being "outsiders" in the Mid-West. What a horrible experience that was. Boy, we hated it there. We are so glad to be gone.

We are so happy to be in New Mexico with friendly and genuinely nice people.

It's a shame you have to wait another two years to move.

Our lives became better the moment we arrived. We were at the point where we couldn't tolerate another minute of being "outsiders." And were so glad our house sold and we could finally leave! We never looked back.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:15 AM

119 posts, read 341,562 times
I have to say, I lived in Farmington, NM, and I felt just the way these people felt, like an outsider. We lived there 5 years and it took probably 3 years before my husband and I made any really good friends. It was really depressing, as we really liked it there, except for the people not seeming to be really friendly. So, people can feel that way no matter where they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico