Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Mexicans: Would you vote in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana in NM?
Yes 53 60.23%
No 35 39.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,858 times

Advertisements

I voted yes. Seems to be more upside than downside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
NM has always been, at least in my lifetime, a heavy user/grower state.

I remember a day when helicopters (!) would buzz the mountains for plants. How silly is that?

Decriminalize, make it legal!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,338 times
Quote:
NM has always been, at least in my lifetime, a heavy user/grower state
Not trying to sidetrack the conversation too much. However, when I was a student at UNM I don't think I ever ran across a person who didn't at some point or another 'puff the magic dragon.' I'm not sure if that was based on my social circles or what, but marijuana seemed to be present at every social gathering I seemed to attend. The entire student ghetto always seemed to smell like a cannibas field.In addition, I also believe that the "smoking" culture is quite pervasive among those in the Native American communities as well.

For a "drug" that seems to be as common in ordinary American pop-culture, as tobacco, I'm not sure why we just haven't decided to legalize the thing some 20 years ago.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 PM

21 posts, read 47,169 times
It's true.. I've visited many of the towns of New Mexico and there were many users of marijuana. While I can agree that marijuana does have negative effects, they are nowhere near as bad as those you get from tobacco or alcohol. There are legit users of it and they should have that right but if weed is made 100% legal it will uhh.. dang hold on..

basically this video:
Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58kGCQLwxU

Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the overall damage related to alcohol in CO is lessened by legal marijuana. I tell my kids to "just say no" to alcohol, since if they're in the unlucky ~5% it'll destroy them. If they have any vice I'd prefer it be marijuana.
I would never tell my kids, it is ok to smoke anything: I am shocked anyone would, but they are your kids. Just because we have legal alcohol, isn't a reason to legalize other damaging drugs and yes, pot is damaging.

Would I vote to legalize it? NOPE, but if it does become legal nationally, I wouldn't come unglued either. Of course I don't live in NM anymore so this isn't an issue, for me, yet. I would probably vote to have it legalized for medicinal reasons, as long as it was heavily controlled and not like California.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would never tell my kids, it is ok to smoke anything: I am shocked anyone would, but they are your kids. Just because we have legal alcohol, isn't a reason to legalize other damaging drugs and yes, pot is damaging.

Would I vote to legalize it? NOPE, but if it does become legal nationally, I wouldn't come unglued either. Of course I don't live in NM anymore so this isn't an issue, for me, yet. I would probably vote to have it legalized for medicinal reasons, as long as it was heavily controlled and not like California.
While I would absolutely not want my kids to smoke pot, I would prefer that if I could not stop them, that they would not be risking prison and a criminal record that followed them for the rest of their lives. This is why I would vote in favor of legalization.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Like booze and tobacco it should be legal, quality controlled and, as booze in New Hampshire, sold in State owned stores all over the country. Prohibition only aids the criminals.

FWIW: I don't smoke or otherwise indulge in the weed.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,392 times
Don't smoke it. use a vaporizer.

Why it was made illegal:

[URL="http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/]Why"]http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.csdp.org/publicservice/anslinger.htm"]http://www.csdp.org/publicservice/anslinger.htm][/URL]

if it was made illegal for ridiculous reasons, the law should be repealed

Last edited by Conante; 01-29-2014 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,083,718 times
Well... I am wholly against it,, but Im not from New Mexico.. Im from California and it has ruined the county where I live

Deriminalization.. sure.. I can buy some of that
Legit medical use.. sure I can buy that too

If you really want to know why..Ill tell you....

otherwise ... enjoy the ride

Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,052 times
I'm probably throwing gunpowder into the fire, but I don't think it should be legalized for recreational use. Of course, I also don't think that cigarettes should be legal.

Maybe the law would forbid this anyway, but I would not want it done in public places where I have to be around it. As someone who lives in apartment dwellings and also works from home, I don't want to have to smell it. It's hard to work when you're getting high off your neighbor's bong. It also takes a very long time to get the smell out, and personally I don't like skunk-like smells. I always live in non-smoking units, but there's always someone that thinks he/she is entitled to smoke anyway...with the legalization of marijuana, now I'll have to deal with that in addition to cigarette smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico