Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,155,224 times

Advertisements

In today's Journal, an Albuquerque legislator is proposing computer programming as a language to fulfill high school students' language credits, instead of Spanish, French or German.

After seeing plenty of people take Spanish (when for them Spanish is spoken at home) because it's an easy A, I can't help but wonder if maybe this isn't such a bad idea. Would imagine 50% of high school graduates can't remember the little they did learn in terms of foreign languages by now.

What's everyone else here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM

262 posts, read 604,961 times
As a CS minor I wish they would do that here. I'm already bilingual, but not in a language typically offered at most Universities, so I'll probably have to pick up Spanish in the near future.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:40 PM

989 posts, read 1,872,409 times
This idea about classifying computer programming as a "foreign language" has been around for years. I don't know how it should be classified. There was also a time when computer science in college was part of the math department. So was it "math" back in the day? Could it be bundled up into different disciplines like math, foreign language,logic, etc?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,599,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
In today's Journal, an Albuquerque legislator is proposing computer programming as a language to fulfill high school students' language credits, instead of Spanish, French or German.

After seeing plenty of people take Spanish (when for them Spanish is spoken at home) because it's an easy A

What's everyone else here think?
An interesting concept but I'm not fully convinced of the advantage New Mexico Senator Candelabra claims "could help teach an important – and potentially lucrative – skill to students in classrooms around the state". Getting an education is important. But we really need to get on a track of what we really need. "Currently, New Mexico high school students are required to complete at least 24 units to receive a diploma, and at least one of those units must come from a category of classes that includes a language other than English". Offhand, I don't even know what a "unit" is. My native language is Spanish and it was not an "easy A" in the required 60 days of class I had to take it in a U.S. School. In fact I failed, sorry, you don't speak the Spanish we teach. I also lived overseas (Europe and Asia) where it was very common to find multilingual people who frequently used their languages. I was a programmer in a previous life, (Assembly, Pascal, C, Basic) and I finally saw some of the similarities of the languages.

If it helps a student, then allow them to substitute Cobol or whatever instead of a language the student may not be interested in and is only taking just to complete a requirement.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,599,992 times
A related article in the Journal about a dual language program at Truman Middle School which seems to be working. Students in the program get half of their day’s instruction in English and the other half in Spanish. Specifically, they learn social studies and science in Spanish and learn math and language arts in English.

Dual language program a success | ABQJournal Online

Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,274,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
. . .
After seeing plenty of people take Spanish (when for them Spanish is spoken at home) because it's an easy A, I can't help but wonder if maybe this isn't such a bad idea.
If it's an easy A, then how come native English speakers have been failing English for more than a century?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,623,251 times
jakabedy - Simple answer is the language taught in schools is not the language most people have learned from their parents. The Truman Middle School technique sounds like it might work.

I remember being required to read nonsense like "Wuthering Heights" and similar "literature". What a complete waste of time. Eventually I discovered Joseph Conrad, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Heinlein and John LeCarre. Now those guys could tell a story.

I still remember a very small parts of Spanish I was coerced into studying in High School. If we ever live in New Mexico I will get a Rosetta Stone language course and learn the language because it will be useful.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,689,116 times
Programming languages have little in common with natural languages. It's not like you'll suddenly be able to communicate with someone across the world. I think there's probably better ways to encourage programming classes if that's something you want to do.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,241,544 times
Utter BS. Computer 'language' is not a human language, it is a code. And that is what professionals in the IT field call it, 'code'.

Foreign language learning is about communication.

I am all for programming languages being taught in schools, but it should be a Vo-Tech or Science credit, not a foreign language credit.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,155,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Programming languages have little in common with natural languages. It's not like you'll suddenly be able to communicate with someone across the world. I think there's probably better ways to encourage programming classes if that's something you want to do.
If they speak the same computer language as me, I absolutely can communicate with them, even if only one of us speaks English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Utter BS. Computer 'language' is not a human language, it is a code. And that is what professionals in the IT field call it, 'code'.
And yet the law is referred to as the US Code, or perhaps the Health Code, or Zoning Code, or maybe Code of Ethics. Quintessential human language.

100 years ago, when they first started foisting terrible-even-when-written literature like that of Melville or the Brontë sisters on hapless schoolchildren, the purpose was to enable them to engage with the law (understanding it, following it, and perhaps one day writing additions to it or striking down parts of it) in an informed manner, probably more so than any other purpose. In essence, they were teaching kids code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico