U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM
TKO

686 posts, read 1,374,657 times
Not farm land. Farmland in the valley goes for much more than that even in really big chunks. The water alone will be worth more than that. You might look by Deming if being further away from things is acceptable. I don't think you're going to find any farmland in the state that is that inexpensive. Texas has a surplus of private land because there is no federal land so to speak. They also have much higher property taxes which impact sales price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 AM

85 posts, read 145,908 times
Thanks for the information. By "farmland" I meant acreage, even acreage that was barren, desert or bushland. Also, how much does the cheapest land on the Texas side of the border north of EP cost?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,429,687 times
It's not about land cost...it's about water. Unless you've found a way to profit from growing creosote bush and cactus you're gonna need it, and probably lots of it. Cropland with water rights is not cheap.
What are you planning on growing on "barren, desert or bushland"? I'm a little puzzled.
If you're just looking for a big chunk of land, without a real plan or need to farm it, you can find lots of relatively cheap property, but drilling a well or running electricity to it might give you an idea of why it's cheap in the first place.
Talk to a realtor, and good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,429,687 times
Default A yummy spot

You can probably get a good deal on some land just downwind of the dairy operations in a lovely spot between LC and El Paso called Vado. Keep the windows closed, though...

Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 AM

By "water rights" do you mean rights to any streams/rivers or to the water underneath your land? I assumed that the latter automatically comes with the land in both states.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 AM

867 posts, read 1,136,594 times
I don't know about Texas, but in New Mexico water rights, including ground water rights, do not come with the land. They are separate.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 AM
TKO

Correct, land and water are separate. On large acreage desert land you wouldn't be approved for any more than a domestic well.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
On large acreage desert land you wouldn't be approved for any more than a domestic well.
Does that mean enough for a house - or for a house, swimming pool and garden?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
Does that mean enough for a house - or for a house, swimming pool and garden?
Those would all be domestic uses and I don't think there would be any issue. Problems arise when water is scarce. The law sets priority dates and the folks who can prove the earliest use get it taken away last. Also you have to consider the availability of water. Most areas of the county have ground water but there are places that don't or have it so deep that it's prohibitively expensive to drill. To be fair I've never seen them cut off people with wells but the surface irrigation is a yearly crap shoot as to how much you'll get.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy but you should do a whole lot more research before you decide what you're going to do.

You might start with some questions to the Office of the State Engineer who is responsible for implementing NM water policy and allows for the drilling of wells. Here's their website Office of the State Engineer :: Welcome. They're also in the process of adjudicating water rights currently, not that that would impact you much.

Good luck, and if you pull it off it's going to be really cool! By the way, where in Jersey? I lived in Bergen County for a while and still have family there. You're going to miss your pizza! :P

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 5,816 times
Default Where to go? $300k, sustainable farm, 4 seasons

I am currently residing in Portland, OR and have grown tired of the 2 1/2 seasons we have here. I own my home outright and am looking to try a hand at living a semi-sustainable lifestyle (i.e. part time jobs, gf and I, solar/wind power, orchard, garden, rain cachement, etc).

My home is worth around $300k, so upon selling this I'd like to keep the no mortgage scenario and have the money to invest in property (1-5 acres), home and any improvements that can help attain this goal.

I've done a fair amount of research of different regions and would like to stay in the West, near a town with some amenities and culture, but prefer to stay away from any metropolis. Also, would love to be near places to hike and mtn bike, but still provide a decent growing season and water table. I'm not narrowing my search to New Mexico, but thought I would start here and see if this plan is feasible. Any ideas would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico