Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times

Advertisements

\
It's only new wells, from what I understand that are 1 acre ft/yr. Ours pre-exists the new permit regulations.

My point is simply that the OP could potentially water a garden from a well.

The OP is looking for 1-5 acres, which can conceivably be obtained within his price range.

$3,000,000!?? We'll sell you our place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM

390 posts, read 952,217 times
Bongo, I agree with you! 3,000,000 !!! Do I have some property for him!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I don't know if it's now a statewide restriction, but some NEW domestic use wells can legally pump only 1 acre foot per year. I don't know how that is controlled however? I've heard of requiring wells to be metered but haven't seen where that is law yet. Perhaps someone who is familiar with CURRENT state laws on domestic wells can enlighten all of us.

OSE regulation 19.27.5.9 states that for a single household: The maximum permitted diversion of water from a 72-12-1.1 domestic well permitted to serve one household shall not exceed 1.0 acre-foot per annum.

OSE reg 19.27.5.9 addresses metering requirements for domestic wells:

C. Metering requirements: When a metering device is required by the state engineer on a 72-12-1.1 domestic well, the totalizing meter shall be installed before the first branch of the discharge line from the well. The meter installation shall be in accordance with the specifications adopted by the state engineer. The holder of the 72-12-1.1 domestic well permit shall file a meter installation and inspection report with the office of the state engineer, documenting the make, model, serial number, date of installation, and initial reading of the meter prior to diversion of water. Pumping records for the 3 proceeding calendar months shall be submitted to the appropriate state engineer district office on or before the 10th of January, April, July, and October of each year unless a different reporting period has been established in the conditions of approval of the permit.
(1) The state engineer shall require a meter on each new 72-12-1.1 domestic well permitted:
(a) within a domestic well management area;
(b) when a metering requirement is imposed by the courts;
(c) for drinking and sanitary domestic use that is incidental to the operations of a governmental, commercial, or non-profit facility;
(d) for multiple households domestic use;
(e) as a supplemental 72-12-1.1 well; the 72-12-1.1 domestic well being supplemented shall also require a meter; and
(f) as a multiple use well such that the diversion of water for domestic use is separately metered.
(2) The state engineer may require a meter on a new 72-12-1.1 domestic well:
(a) permitted for single household domestic use;
(b) permitted to accompany a residence or other dwelling constructed for sale;
(c) as a condition of a permit to repair or deepen a 72-12-1.1 domestic well;
(d) as a condition of a permit to amend the type of domestic use of a 72-12-1.1 domestic well permit; or
(e) as a condition of a permit to transfer a valid, existing water right to a 72-12-1.1 domestic well permit in accordance with 19.27.5.10 NMAC.

As you can see, the state engineer may require a meter on a new well for a single household. It is discretionary, and most likely depends on which basin you are in. If you need more specific information, it would be wise to call the water rights division that has jurisdiction over the location you want to drill your well in.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,779 times
For a large, rather efficient garden and maybe a handful or two of fruit trees, I would assume 1 acre/ft of water would do the job along with mother nature helping out here and there. This is no commercial operation here by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I'm looking at putting a rainwater catchment system in as well, just to help out a little.

Am I safe to assume that this much water would be ok?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayfido View Post
For a large, rather efficient garden and maybe a handful or two of fruit trees, I would assume 1 acre/ft of water would do the job along with mother nature helping out here and there. This is no commercial operation here by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I'm looking at putting a rainwater catchment system in as well, just to help out a little.

Am I safe to assume that this much water would be ok?
An acre foot of water = 325,851 gallons of water.

The average suburban family with a lawn uses 0.3 acre foot of water annually or 267 gallons per day.

So an acre-foot of water is more than 3 times than is used by the average suburban family. I would think for an efficient garden and some fruit trees, you will get by.

Everyone these days should resist the temptation to use domestic wells. We just keep growing with no end in sight, and water is so precious. Rainwater catchment is one of the keys, and I'm glad you want to do this. Everyone who wants to garden should at least have rain barrels, and if you really want to go the whole route, a nice big cistern. This winter we had a lot of water, and anyone catching water should have been able to store quite a bit.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM

OK, good to know. I'm planning something with drip systems, mulching, etc., so even if I had a well, I think my draw on it would be pretty low. Also thinking about a grey water system as well. At least for some of the lesser affected water sources like baths and laundry (using biodegradable cleansers that is...).

I live in the NW now, with water seemingly coming out of our ears, but it's funny to see how many folks are so involved with natural resource conservation up here, even without many limitations imposed on us.

My goal is to have as small as footprint on the resources down there both for my peace of mind and respect for our planet, as well as being easy on my pocketbook. Strange how more people don't "get" this.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayfido View Post
OK, good to know. I'm planning something with drip systems, mulching, etc., so even if I had a well, I think my draw on it would be pretty low. Also thinking about a grey water system as well. At least for some of the lesser affected water sources like baths and laundry (using biodegradable cleansers that is...).

I live in the NW now, with water seemingly coming out of our ears, but it's funny to see how many folks are so involved with natural resource conservation up here, even without many limitations imposed on us.

My goal is to have as small as footprint on the resources down there both for my peace of mind and respect for our planet, as well as being easy on my pocketbook. Strange how more people don't "get" this.
Not strange...deranged. These are the same folks that don't "get" universal health care and rage against anything that they don't understand.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
The average suburban family with a lawn uses 0.3 acre foot of water annually or 267 gallons per day.
I've always heard the figure 8,000 gal. per month for a family of four and that does NOT include lawn watering. That would jibe with the 267 gallons per day figure. Here is a web site that supports my information:

AMERICAN WATER WORKS ASSOC.

Note that "household use" as defined on that site does not include outdoor watering.
Quote:
Average household water use annually: 127,400 gallons
Average daily household water use : 350 gallons
Lawn watering can be extremely variable depending on the size of the yard to be watered. Some people feel the need to water on a daily basis. Some will have late model drip irrigation systems while others will still be using ordinary sprinklers. Some will let the water run for hours while others will be more sensible.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Yeah I suppose this number is HIGHLY variable. Things like drip systems, low flow toilets and showerheads, front load washing machines and a little common sense do a lot to get that figure down. You just have to wonder how much of a water problem we'd have if EVERYONE shared the same ideals.

The same could be said for a lot of things though; pollution/littering, recycling, composting, etc. etc...

Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority customers used an average of 159 gallons per capita per day in 2009, down from 252 gallons in 1994.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico