Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,805 times

Advertisements

^ I would have been near you at the same time. Granted, I was a kid at that time but went to Tohatchi Elementary as well as Chee Dodge before we moved to Zuni. Like I said in an earlier post, I loved growing up in that area. By the time I was in high school I learned how dysfunctional a lot off the Gallup area is but it never directly affected me.

Ah, Jerry's... They had a plate that was essentially diced up pork smothered in green chili served with refried beans, rice and tortillas that I loved. And the Navajo tacos at Earl's were always great. My mom loved taking visitors to Earl's. They were always shocked at all the vendors circling through the restaurant and she loved seeing their reactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrispy View Post
Overall, I have fond memories, but I do remember being ready to leave because I felt the town was so "apathetic" and it was getting to me.

(We recently moved from Hawai'i back to the mainland, and they also charged $1 per movie rental. It's not just Gallup.)
It is apathetic. Depressing. As good as Jerry's (or in my case, Panz Allegra) is, it can't overcome that.
It is neat to spend the day there, and Inter-Tribal is special.

Didn't know that about the $1 movie rentals elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
^ I would have been near you at the same time. Granted, I was a kid at that time but went to Tohatchi Elementary as well as Chee Dodge before we moved to Zuni. Like I said in an earlier post, I loved growing up in that area. By the time I was in high school I learned how dysfunctional a lot off the Gallup area is but it never directly affected me.

Ah, Jerry's... They had a plate that was essentially diced up pork smothered in green chili served with refried beans, rice and tortillas that I loved. And the Navajo tacos at Earl's were always great. My mom loved taking visitors to Earl's. They were always shocked at all the vendors circling through the restaurant and she loved seeing their reactions.
What are the odds- Chee Dodge is where I taught My sil lives in Tohatchi. Yes- Navajo tacos at Earl's and the vendors coming in! I always took visitors there as well. Somehow Jerry's wasn't as "visually" impressive to them.

Quote:
As good as Jerry's (or in my case, Panz Allegra) is, it can't overcome that.
It is neat to spend the day there, and Inter-Tribal is special.
True. Gallup will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first time living on my own and working after college. We once joked about moving back, but we weren't very serious. As much as we love parts of it and love our family there, we want a different experience for our kids, at least while they are young and in school. My husband grew up in Gallup and feels that way also. He gets frustrated with his siblings and the way they live and continue living without exploring their options.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,583 times
My parents lived in Gallup in the 1950's. Even then it was town with people with serious alcohol problems. Many Indians would get drunk, lay in the road, pass out drunk. They would get run over and killed. It was sad as hell.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrispy View Post
What are the odds- Chee Dodge is where I taught
Small world, eh? Who knows, depending on the years you may have worked with my mom. She was a teacher at Chee Dodge which is why I went there even though we lived in Gallup at the time.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:51 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I like the vendors. People from back East like me are always shocked and looking for the store manager when it first happened....but now it;s part of dinner. And I've gotten some nice gifts. You're right........funny to those who aren't in the know about the vendors.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I like the vendors. People from back East like me are always shocked and looking for the store manager when it first happened....but now it;s part of dinner. And I've gotten some nice gifts. You're right........funny to those who aren't in the know about the vendors.
We liked the vendors at Earl's, too. Where else can you go to lunch and do your Christmas shopping while eating? It's certainly better and more personal than Rio West Mall.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:22 PM

203 posts, read 602,556 times
ABQJournal says it has just about the highest crime in the state.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 PM

236 posts, read 370,489 times
If the vendors at Earl's were just a bit more pushy you wouldn't notice how bad the food is.
I mean seriously, how do you get served fried chicken that's still cold inside?
There are some good jewelry bargains, but there is a proliferation of cheap non-native goods as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:41 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoyote View Post
If the vendors at Earl's were just a bit more pushy you wouldn't notice how bad the food is.
I mean seriously, how do you get served fried chicken that's still cold inside?
There are some good jewelry bargains, but there is a proliferation of cheap non-native goods as well.
I have zero use for people hawking their wares while I am trying to eat. or doing magic tricks, or blowing up balloon animals, or.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico