Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 15,752 times

Advertisements

My dad is thinking about applying for pharmacist positions posted on usajobs.gov and all the positions are located on very indian reservations. My dad is in his early 50s and have some 22 years + in retail pharmacy and has been struggling to find full-time employment in Ohio (northeast Ohio) in particular. In any case, he's severely burned out from retail pharmacy and, I think, is in a depression from his ongoing unemployed status. Both he and mom are tired of trying of looking just in ohio and are ready to actually "live life" in a sunnier climate with better scenery and more outdoor activities.

He's always talked about moving out West and loves what he's heard from family and friends who have moved and visited New Mexico and is seriously considering moving out somewhere in the Albuquerque area or northern New Mexico area (Taos, Espanola, Gallup, Santa Fe). He still has 5 younger children living with him and my mom. My mom and dad both agree that he may have to move out there first and they'lol follow.

What I'd like to hear are people's experiences who have either moved out to New Mexico and/or who have taken jobs on the Indian resevations and what they think. Has it been or was it a good experience? Was the move the right choice? Are Tijeras and/or Edgewood, NM good areas for families?

I, personally, am grown and have moved out YEARS ago. I'm 28 with my own professional career at the Ohio Attorney General and have travelled abroad to various places and speak Soanish fluently (use it at my job). I have never been to NM myself, but have heard nothing but good things about it. So, the "truth" about NM....the good and the bad. Many people on the forums have said that the decently is beautiful, food is good, culture is great, but that poverty is present and there's a lack of jobs and a lagging economy. My family is very liberal and open-minded. My dad is American of German and Chippewa Indian descent and my mother came over in the 70s as a Serb refugee from the ex-Yugoslavia. They had 7 children total (me and my older 30-yr old brother) included and they are Catholic (not practicing Catholics though). My mom is in the health and wellness industry (Usana Health Sciences) and is a certified Zumba, Pilates, Zumba sentao, barre and kettle ball instructor who teaches classes regularly.

Thank you all ahead of time for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,082 times
I can't comment on what it would be like to be a pharmacist on and Indian Reservation. Though I do know several people that work with Indian Reservations and on Reservations in a myriad of professions. Counselor at a School District, Construction Adviser, Doctor, two nurses and several that work for IHS in different positions. They all live in and around the Albuquerque area and seem to like their work as they have all been with the different orgs for some time.

Last edited by NMHacker; 03-13-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I strongly suggest you Mom and Dad take the time to investigate the opportunities and then drive out and look around. They could plan interviews and possibly get some of their expenses reimbursed.

Although you dad expresses fatigue with "retail" pharmacy has he looked at hospital and/or clinics in NM that might be looking for pharmacists.

This is a good time of year to look because the weather is changing from winter to spring. Spring in NM is delightful except for the occasional wind storms. Given the recent snowstorms in Ohio I thing they will be astonished by NM.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM

325 posts, read 576,429 times
They need to visit our beautiful state and see firsthand the needs of our native communities.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
I agree they should visit the region and get a first hand view. I've known people who worked in health care on the reservations and they liked it but said you have to be okay to be on your own. You're viewed as an outsider, not part of the reservation, the people. It's really spectacular country.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,157,966 times
Reference for open positions with the Indian Health Services:

https://www.ihs.gov/pharmacy/index.cfm?module=vacancies

Currently there are only three locations listed and none in
New Mexico.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
www.usajobs.gov - Pharmacist Lists seven jobs specifically in New Mexico for "Pharmacist". Five of those are for the Indian Health Service.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:38 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,225,996 times
One thing to consider is your Mom's happiness. NE Ohio/Cleveland has a strong Yugoslav population (churches, food, language, communuties) which might have made the move to America easier. And there ain't a lot of that in NM, except for maybe some "Balkan countries" folks at the University of NM in Albuquerque.
We also moved to NM this past year from NE Ohio/Cleveland area...I am a middle-aged teacher, and i also now teach on a reservation. I'm very glad I did it, it got rid of my Ohio teaching burnout and all. However, jobs "on the Navajo REZ" are different for sure. Much corruption, nepotism, politics. But truly wonderful people also (both native and the non-native employees that serve them). And the landscapes are soul-healing, and the weather is better than OHIO (better, but still cold and windy in our NW corner of the state).
Salaries here are a real mix. They'd better research it. For example I took a small pay hit to come to NM but I have more takehome pay per paycheck (Ohio jobs have a LOT of deductions at higher percentages).
Housing is not only hard to come by in rural areas (particularly quality rentals...again....this ain't Cleveland) but can be quite pricy or dirt cheap. Of course, there is often heavily discounted housing as a reservation worker thru the tribe as a perk when getting hired. Our staff housing is small but nicer than most across the state. 3 br house....$300 a month is my example. But lonely and no sense of community in the staff housing here. (we moved to a small town because of this and I drive into work now.) Again, differs from rez to rez.
There's a lot for them to consider. It's way different from NE Ohio. I call it a "southwestern West Virginia" (wonderful friendly people, mostly rural, one flagship college, one "city," a handful of "artsy" towns, abject poverty, poor schools, stunningly pretty w/diverse landscapes and climates). Although I might not stay on the reservation, (wife needs a job too, no opportunities here for her at all or in the surrounding desolate area), I'll stay in NM forever for sure. The sunny days alone are a reason!
The biggest drawback for us and your middle aged parents (and one your father will certainly consider, given his occupation) is the lack of quality medical care when compared to the renowned facilities in NE Ohio, esp. Cleveland. Our NW corner of NM has a true lack of quality care, and makes two-hr-drive to ABQ a requirement. ER in Gallup can be truly scary. My wife has some medical issues that are, let's say, problematic out here since the Cleveland Clinic is no longer an hour away. It's not always like in the movies, where you cut an "x" in your leg to suck the rattlesnake venom out, but some places in NM are exactly like that. (on the other hand, the hospital in Silver City NM recently treated my wife and they were small, but terrific.) Medical care is hit-and-miss, and do your research carefully.
PM me anytime (or your folks can) if there are specific issues or concerns. Best of luck.

Last edited by kpl1228; 03-26-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,171 times
I can't specifically comment on being a pharmacist for IHS on the Rez, but my mother was a teacher there (Navajo and Zuni) for the better part of two decades. I spent school years with her on the reservations and summers with my dad on the ranch in Colorado. It was an amazing experience, growing up as an Anglo kid in the heart of Indian Country. Expect a culture shock but embrace it and the culture will embrace you.

As a kid with my mom we were often invited to ceremonials (not the Gallup Intertribal but as participants of Deshkwi in Zuni). If you go onto the reservations with the realization that you are an outsider, you will be welcomed as a member of their society. Coming from a white society, some of their "norms" will strike you as bizarre, backward and even immoral. But realize these people built their societies centuries ago and have a hard time assimilating into white culture. You may not agree with a lot of what happens but don't judge and neither will you be.

This may not be the perspective you were looking for but it's what I can offer. Between the reservations of NM and the ranch life of rural Colorado I had a pretty fantastic upbringing. Kind of a real life cowboys and Indians scenario.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
It sounds like the old adage "When in Rome....." applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico