U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:34 PM

3,229 posts, read 5,926,309 times

Advertisements

Is there any tornado's in New Mexico?

Rare but yes. Las Cruces had some Funnels not too long ago

Pictures from KFOX14 in El Paso
(http://www.kfoxtv.com/slideshow/weather/13245018/detail.html - broken link)

Is there a water shortage in these two cities and is the tap water clean?

Water shortage throughout the southwest.

Which city is better for a family looking for low crime, good public schools, more greenery than Phoenix and lots of tree's?

Las Cruces.

Which of these cities are more affordable.

Las Cruces

Is there any military bases near either of these two cities? Are the people friendly and decent drivers?

Las Cruces is near White Sands Missle Range, Fort Bliss (El Paso), Holloman Airforce Base (Alamogordo), and NASA. A space port is being built in the area as well.

People are very friendly and driving is not bad...maybe a little slower then what you are used to. However, Drunk Driving is an issue in the entire state of NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 09:40 PM

14,162 posts, read 7,325,251 times
Default There ARE trees in Las Cruces

Palm trees, pine trees - I've both in my backyard. Not sure where they came from, but here they are
If I recall from my last visit to Albuquerque, there are pine trees there as well. However, if you want LOTS of trees, perhaps you might consider Flagstaff, AZ or the greater Denver, CO area. Both also get a good amount of sunshine yearly and the extra added bonus of snow!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 AM

618 posts, read 383,264 times
Thank you all for the detailed inof, especially EnjoyEP...
I saw homes for sale in New Mexico that look just like the homes in the Phoenix area.
Built poorly with no character and appear to be over-valued!!!
Most of the of new homes aren't built with qualtiy upgrades, especially
the kitchens...
They appear to be around the same price as Western Washington. Maybe
Washington is the best palce for my family.
Santa Fe looks like the best place to live in New Mexico, but gets a lot of tourist.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,595,611 times
Should you decide on Las Cruces area, I think the best homes with "trees and greenery" are in Mesilla Park on the SW side of Las Cruces. The property was subdivided in the early 20th C. and many homes were built in the 50s and 60s, and are usually of good quality. These areas have lots of large, mature trees and shrubbery and lawns. (Get used to the desert though) You'll be in a quiet, low crime area and very near historic Mesilla. A very fine home can be purchased for less than your 400k budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico