U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 21,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
Are these people so busy they can't even respond to e-mails??
It really makes me wonder about building in NM.
Building in Mew Mexico can be really difficult. The good contractors have work lined up, the bad ones will be happy to walk away with your money in a heartbeat.

I am a native Californian, and have worked around the world and here is what I have found in New Mexico:
1. Face to face is best. Even for the preliminaries. There are a lot of dreamers out here, with half built houses and no money. A good contractor cant make money with them.
2. Due diligence is essential. The contractor that built my house was highly recommended by the bank officer. The bank officer was later arrested for embezzling and it took 20K to sue the contractor and win.
3. You can find a good contractor, but yes, they are covered over with work and don't make any money answering questions. They have to know you are serious before they will take you seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:23 AM

103 posts, read 261,306 times
Default DropZone

Thanks much for the info & advice. Really appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 AM

33,864 posts, read 29,368,532 times
Maybe I should move to New Mexico with my complete set of Fine Homebuilding and start a house building business. Sounds like there is a market for alternative construction houses built to high quality standards and there appears to be enough potential customers moving in from high price states to pay for the quality.

I think I'll look into this.

PS; I am bored and sick of the cold in New Hampshire

Old 01-25-2008, 11:22 PM

15 posts, read 35,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post
Maybe I should move to New Mexico with my complete set of Fine Homebuilding and start a house building business. Sounds like there is a market for alternative construction houses built to high quality standards and there appears to be enough potential customers moving in from high price states to pay for the quality.

I think I'll look into this.

PS; I am bored and sick of the cold in New Hampshire
GregW1,
Don't wait too long. I communicated with an individual from California thinking about the same thing. However, I did hear from one of the "alternative" companies the other day. They work outside of their area but only as sub contractors. We still need to find a good General Contractor.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 AM

950 posts, read 2,159,375 times
Smile Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post
Yes, and announce it here when you do.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Finally received an e-mail back from a rammed earth contractor ........1 month later!!

For those interested:

Slope of the lot is a concern/question of the contractor.

The raw (earth) material does not have to be on-site. The best earth is trucked in and cost is pretty comparable to using on-site earth and having to add particular amendments.

They offered to view the lot in person (free of charge I did not ask).

They also recommended a couple architects.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 PM

65 posts, read 272,499 times
Just a curious question, what does a typical home go for per square foot?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM

Honestly can't say.

Really too many variables considering that question.

But I think it's safe to assume about 15-20% more than a stick-built home.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM

950 posts, read 2,159,375 times
Default What sort of slope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
Slope of the lot is a concern/question of the contractor.
Did they say what sort of slope was best?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Devin

No, we really didn't discuss it.

I just assumed too steep would be "challenging" but I'm
not sure what would constitute too much slope.

I know the building pad is fairly level but not flat.

The drive in is a pretty good slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico