Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,978 times

Advertisements

Hello everone, hope your day was a great one ... I spent a few hours there the other day on my drive out there from AZ, and the people that i spoke with were extremely friendly and willing to help out, they didn't know me from atom, but it is like they knew me all there life, i told them that i am thinking of relocating to Deming, and i couldn't believe the fantastic welcome i was getting.. i don't know, it may seem weird to many on this forum, but the minute i drove up to Deming, got out and started walking around, and went to Jumbos for lunch, i just felt like i had to be here, can't explain it, but a weird feeling went through me that was telling me this was the nice little town i needed to be... i lived in Tucson, AZ for 4 years, and it is just too congested for my liking anymore, and never got the feeling in those 4 years, that i got in only a few hours in Deming.... Deming, seems to be just the right size town I'm looking for... I even stopped a police officer there, to ask for directions to a certain place, and even he was extremely friendly, when he heard i was moving there, he to gave a huge welcome, i am at awe as to how friendly the people i ran into are... as far as the wind and all the dust storms, i can deal with it, weather has never been an issue with me leaving a town, i lived in Perham MN were it was -20 bellow, and seemingly 10 feet of snow, were it seems to never stop snowing the entire winter, and the summers very humid, cloudy and miserable all the time, with so many mosquitoes that they can fly away with you, to Tucson that was around 110 in the shade... i liked Deming, and I'm looking forward to moving there soon. ...if anyone else that lives in Deming, or has spent much time there would like to tell me more about Deming, i would like to hear what you have to say.... have a great night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
There is still a little bit of that western hospitality left. Was through that are last spring. There are a few other threads on Deming on this forum but haven't seen any pop up recently. Always liked Deming; not sure why. There is just something about the place. A lot of people on this forum has said the same thing about New Mexico itself! Was through there earlier this year. Always stay at the same motel (two blocks west of the Deming truck terminal. And the restaurant in the terminal itself is one of the last mom and pop truck stops around these days! Hopefully one of the locals will chime in. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 AM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
Deming is probably fine but until you live there you really won't know how
it is for the long run. I live in a small southern NM town and it is OK but a little backwards compared to larger cities that I have lived in including Phoenix. The thing I find is living in a small town out in the middle of nowwhere can get boring pretty fast unless you like to drink or are involved
with a church. If you like to shop or just go buy things for your house
you will be hopping in your car and driving to Las Cruces which I do all the time. I've given up worrying about how much money I waste on gas and now
the wasted time seems to bother me more. I guess it's all realative though
because I'm taking a class in Las Cruces and have met several people who
have retired there from Chicago and New York and they seem pretty bored
with Las Cruces and are going down to El Paso for shopping. If you are used
to living in a small town Deming might be a great place to live. Even though
it is hotter in Phoenix/Tucson it can get 105 pretty often in Deming so it's
cooler but not by that much. Good luck with your move if you decide to do it.
I was checking out Raton and pretty much got the same welcome by the local
police and many of the residents. I think Deming could be a little more friendly because most of the residents are transplants. If you move there
please let us know how it goes.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 108,416 times
In all fairness, I was sitting here REALLY TRYING to think of some positives to offer you about Deming before I responded. I'll try not to sound too negative...

Deming is close the border (with Mexico), where the cigarettes and liquor are much cheaper than in town (if you are a smoker/drinker), and it is a fairly short 30 mile drive to get there. The food and shopping at The Pink Store couldn't be better, and the people who own it couldn't be nicer folks!!

Deming is a small town, but it's growing - by leaps and bounds, really. Ever since we welcomed the military crowd here, there are alot of new families moving in from all parts of the country. There is new construction EVERYWHERE it seems. So, if you're into construction this would be right up your alley.

The reason we're leaving here, however, is because we have a small child who I do not want to raise here. We were not aware of the huge drug (Meth) problem this town has when we moved here, and the transient/homeless traffic (being right off the interstate) seems constant. There have been weeks in a row when every time I'd drive out of the Walmart parking lot I'd drive past someone holding up a sign wanting handouts, food, etc. I feel this drives alot of the crime in the area.

You need to remember that Deming is an "oasis-town" of sorts. People from all over the country will stop here on their travels, or are just passing through while hitchhiking, because it's a long way to the next gas station, convenience store, fast food restaurant, or mass merchandiser, going West especially. And then there's the draw of "the border". People will stop or visit here - just because they're here to visit the border area. (I'd say about 4 out of 10 license plates I see every day are from out of state.)

I've found that most people here ARE nice and friendly, but unless you speak both English AND SPANISH you'll have a hard time finding certain jobs - in government, city, county, office, or in banking, etc... (My husband is Spanish-speaking, thank goodness!)

My advice to you would to be to investigate the area more than I did before moving here.

Here is a link to our local paper: The Deming Headlight - Home
Click on "Community" in the left margin, and then click on "Law Enforcement" in the blue bar that will come up on the next page.

Here is the latest "Law Enforcement" listings: The Deming Headlight - Law Enforcement (http://www.demingheadlight.com/Law - broken link) Posted 12/06/07.
As you can see, we have alot burgleries, arrests, larceny, and stolen cars, etc., and there are bodies found in the desert all the time.

We are moving in the Spring. Out of state. This is NOT all I thought it would be. Yes, the weather is great (I moved here for my health), but that's not the end-all for me. I want a safe place to raise my child, and to me this just isn't it.

I hope this helps you. I'm not trying to "burst your bubble" about Deming. I liked it too, in the beginning. But I refuse to bring my child up in this environment. If you don't have teenagers or small kids, then maybe Deming is for you. It just isn't for us...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:58 AM

22 posts, read 108,416 times
I also wanted to add that if you already work for a major company, you may find yourself commuting to either Cruces or El Paso for work every day. There HAVE been times when the interstate has been closed down between here and Cruces, or here and Lordsburg, due to dust storms. The highway between here and Silver (to the North) has also been closed for the same reason. It's a rare occasion, but it does happen.

Snow rarely effects the road closures in the area, but this has happened too. And last year, when it snowed 1-2 inches, all the SCHOOLS in town shut down!! People here just don't know how to drive on snow...

Which brings up another point I wanted to bring to your attention...Driving!
Here, you have to drive both offensively AND defensively. No offense to Mexican drivers (from Mexico), but most of the people I've seen who drive up here from Mexico can't drive at ALL! I don't know how different our laws are from theirs, but just beware that in my experience they are the ones to watch out for. And you better have good car insurance, because you'll need it here!!

And I hope you like Spanish music. You'll be forced to listen to it, blaring from every teeny-boppers vehicle, everywhere you go!!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,978 times
Thanks all for the posts, and thank you for the link to Deming Headlight, i appreciate that... yeah i seen the the crime stats, not all that good, but it is much lower then other places i lived... the mexican music from the cars is no bother at all, cause in Tucson, AZ the rap music blaring from the boom boxes in cars going by the house, is so loud i'm surprised it don't shatter windows in homes, they even do that in Safford, AZ when ever i visit my parents house, i'm going on 41, don't have any kids, so raising them up in Deming will not be an issue.. i'll probably just have to live there awhile to see what i think about it, i can always move back to AZ if it don't work out .. thanks so much all that posted, and yes designer, i will let you know how it goes in Deming, i'll be moving there this month.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,184 times
Smile Deming, New Mexico

I also went to Deming, New Mexico. I thought it was a very nice town, and yes the people were all very friendly there. However I did see a bit of a drug problem, but it is only more visible due to the fact that Deming is a small town. I am considering moving to Deming with my son, I want him raised in a small town atmosphere, and as long as you stay away from the bad, the bad will stay away from you. I use to live in Tucson, Arizona; and there is constant drug and violence there, but it is a bit overshadowed due to Tucson's size. I think Deming would be a nice place to live. Every place has pros and cons. Also as i was there, i saw police constantly driving around, hopefully it helps a bit.
I would love to hear any replies you may have.
Thankyou
luvsclassicrock@aol.com

Old 03-23-2008, 08:36 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
A quick note on Deming; the wind can really blow during the winter storm season. Just last week there was a fatality west of Deming on 10. Visibility was 0 and a lady from California was killed in a car crash. The NM state patrol was closing the highway in both directions when it happened. Very sad. I'll take the wind over Colorado's bone rattling cold. To be sure, Deming has its detractors. The first subject that comes to mind is the drug problem, particularly meth. It is a problem in EVERY small town, not just Deming.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 16,945 times
In all honesty, my husband and myself moved to Deming 14 years ago and have never looked back. We moved here from southern California and I can't imagine living with all that traffic and crime again. We are retired so the schools, etc. do not really concern us. People are very nice. We can go anywhere here and not worry about crime. I know young people do meth, so what, they do it everywhere and it has not affected us. I think Deming is great little town. Now we have several large new motels and a new movie, bowling alley, arcade rec. center and a great outdoor theater. Come visit us and see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico