Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,545 times

Advertisements

We're in the midst of negotiating the purchase of a home here in New Mexico. When looking at the paperwork from the mortgage companies, included in the disclosures is not only the lender's title insurance policy (which I expect to see), but also an "Owner's" title insurance policy . . . with no mention of the latter being optional.

1) Can anyone confirm that this is, indeed, optional in NM?
2) The lender's policy is either spelled out as such, or (I'm assuming) is lumped in with "closing" or "settlement" costs, and is $8-900 on a 320K home. Is this in line?
3) The "owner's" policy is between $1,850 and $2,000 (in addition to the $8-900 just spent on the lender's policy), which sounds insane to me. Is this something that can be price shopped, or is it something that has only a regulated ceiling with all the companies shockingly hovering independently right around the top?

As an aside, I understand all the selling points (and detracting points) of an owners policy -- no need to rehash that here. But even if things went South at some point and it cost 5K in legal fees to sort it out, what are the chances of that happening? Pretty slim. Slim enough that $2K cost up-front doesn't sound too enticing for a 5% chance of having to spend $5K. Am I missing something here? Isn't this really just another profit center for the title companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Sorry I can't really answer your question. Except to say that when we bought a house 2 years ago I couldn't believe all the extraneous fees we to pay... and the seller much more of course, with the realtor fees. I was too drained to investigate it though... just wanted it over with.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
We have purchased two homes in New Mexico, we did not get "Owner's Title Insurance Policy" on either purchase.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We have purchased two homes in New Mexico, we did not get "Owner's Title Insurance Policy" on either purchase.
Did you pay cash? It appears to be required for mortgages: Think New Mexico's Title Insurance Reform Initiative

Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
IIRC all of the houses my wife and I have bought required us to have title insurance. We always financed the houses, though, and none of them have been houses in New Mexico.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Did you pay cash? It appears to be required for mortgages: Think New Mexico's Title Insurance Reform Initiative
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
IIRC all of the houses my wife and I have bought required us to have title insurance. We always financed the houses, though, and none of them have been houses in New Mexico.
FROM: http://www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/pdf/...tle_escrow.pdf
There are two types of TITLE INSURANCE:
LENDER INSURANCE - protects your lender against any loss that might occur due to unknown title defects. It also guarantees the lender to have a valid first lien against the property.

OWNER INSURANCE - protects you, the buyer, from issues that might emerge after you close the sale. Example of issues may include human error, forged documents, undisclosed or missing heirs, and incorrect legal descriptions.
We purchased a home here in NM in 1998 and we did not pay cash, we had/have a conventional VA Guaranteed mortgage loan, we did not pay any down payment, we did have other fees. There was a Funding Fee. We did not get OWNER INSURANCE...

The other residence was purchased in NM in 1999. It was an investment with four individuals forking over cash for the purchase. We did have some type of renters insurance (on and off) but there was no Lender Title Insurance or Owner Title Insurance. I am a silent partner on this venture.

The "Think New Mexico's Title Insurance Reform Initiative" does not mention what type of title insurance, as best as I can tell, it was a change in the law that allowed a buyer to shop for the insurance where in the past it was a fixed rate on the price of the insurance.

I am not a real estate agent (was in the 70's) nor licensed in these issues...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-24-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM

325 posts, read 576,429 times
The bank/leander is supposed to do a title search to find if there are any lien holders. It seems to be redundant to have an Owner's Title Insurance Policy too. I didn't have either one when we purchased our land out in Catron County or in Rio Arriba either.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,157,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
The bank/leander is supposed to do a title search to find if there are any lien holders. It seems to be redundant to have an Owner's Title Insurance Policy too.
As has been said, buyer's title insurance covers any problems that might arise after the sale. In my case it turned out that the surveyor was incompetent when setting the corner stakes before I signed the final papers. It was a couple of years later that I found out about the changes to my property lines that occurred after the initial platting of the subdivision - changes that the surveyor should have been aware of. The title company was responsible for ordering a new survey and changing my deed to reflect the changes at no cost to me.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The bank/leander is supposed to do a title search to find if there are any lien holders.
There are a few other items.

Quote:
It seems to be redundant to have an Owner's Title Insurance Policy too.
But if there is a discrepancy, they only cover themselves, the amount you still owe the company you borrowed money from.

Quote:
I didn't have either one when we purchased our land out in Catron County or in Rio Arriba either.
That is your prerogative. You will pay for title insurance if you get a home construction loan, or you will get a very high interest rate on that loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: