U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,936,116 times
My job is in Santa Fe and staying in White Rock with a friend while I figure out where I want to live--going to check out Rio Rancho and Bernalillo and commute. I can't afford Santa Fe plus I'd like to live closer to ABQ--more to do. I hear Rio Rancho has a bike trail--my bicycle is coming on the back of my car.

I didn't mention how books take me into another world. I grew up with four siblings in a small house. I'd read in the tub for hours--think it was my way to get solitude. They'd bang on the door and yell "do you have a book in there!" Who Me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM

7,843 posts, read 10,545,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I think what makes it especially difficult is that you want familiar things when you get to a new place not to mention how sick you get of making decisions--yes--no--no--yes. I put a mug that a friend made into my luggage since everything else will be left here in storage until I find a place. I'm flying to NM January 20. Got out of the driving.
Considering how long your drive is, that's a good thing....!

Unread 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM

2,308 posts, read 817,026 times
Default Dancingearth

Quote:
Steve - I'm not using professional movers--moving the cheapest way I can--didn't get a whole lot of $ for moving expenses so I'm doing either the pods that my son will pack (he is excellent at packing tight) or a truck that he will drive. He's done this before. I 've got a bunch of free U-Haul boxes from someone who just moved and put an announcement on the local radio station. The place is looking much more organized this morning--better get to it again. Onto the kitchen and clay tools.
I'd rather see you use a rental truck for your move rather than consigning your goods to a freight hauler. Pods and other types of containerized goods are often hauled as "back haul" by freight haulers who would otherwise be running empty. Not a good thing! Do you remeber the stories from a while back about refer (refrigerated trailers) haulers back hauling trash and hazmat in their trailers to pay fuel and expenses? When I was hauling for United Van Lines, I back hauled everything from Bisquick mixes and potatos to citrus and school supplies! But I never hauled trash or hazmat! Back haul is a way of paying the bills, especially for owner-operators, such as myself.

Also, containerized shipments are run as frieght and is often railwayed as pigyback trailers or rail containers; either way is not good for pad wrapped household goods! BTW, don't go short on pads; you would be surprised what several hundred miles of motion can do to household goods; and please pack tight to eleminate as much movement as possibe. Take our whatever insurance you can get; it's not worth much but it's better than nothing!

Good luck and have a safe move!

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks Steve. Good information--thanks for sharing. I don't have a lot of furniture anymore but every blanket I have will be used and I'll get more pads. Something always gets broke. The last time the my men friends were in to much of a hurry and dropped a bench--too many chiefs that time. This time I'll have my son be in charge and get a friend of his to help. All my friends are getting too old anyway to be moving all this stuff. :-)

I just emailed my son asking if he'd drive a truck over his spring break. If my son drives down he can get his friends in NM to help unload it too. I'll have to research trucks. I think I used U-Haul when I moved up here and the truck broke down. He was the one that had to fix it even though they sent a mechanic out (who didn't know what to do.) Fortunately he is very good with mechanical things but I'd prefer to have him safe. Do you know how I can tell if the trucks have been maintained?

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks Steve. Good information--thanks for sharing. I don't have a lot of furniture anymore but every blanket I have will be used and I'll get more pads. Something always gets broke. The last time the my men friends were in to much of a hurry and dropped a bench--too many chiefs that time. This time I'll have my son be in charge and get a friend of his to help. All my friends are getting too old anyway to be moving all this stuff. :-)

I just emailed my son asking if he'd drive a truck over his spring break. If my son drives down he can get his friends in NM to help unload it too. I'll have to research trucks. I think I used U-Haul when I moved up here and the truck broke down. He was the one that had to fix it even though they sent a mechanic out (who didn't know what to do.) Fortunately he is very good with mechanical things but I'd prefer to have him safe. Do you know how I can tell if the trucks have been maintained?
Many commercial movers will supply loading crews on a cash basis to load self-movers (that would be you!) at a nominal cost. This is extra cash for the laborers that load/unload trucks. Check with your local movers for availability and rates; all you need is a 2 person crew. You can also procure labor at destination in the same manner.

Stick with a national truck rental company, U-Haul, Ryder and Penskie are the largest rental companies; do not use a "no name" company! Re maintenance of the equiptmnet, ask to see the maintenaince records of your rental vehicle and check out the truck before you sign the vehicle out. Check the vehicle out for damage and cleanliness, also be sure to notate the amount of fuel in the vehicle; rent a diesel powered vehicle, do not rent a gas powered vehicle; it will empty your wallet! Check out your rental agreement carefully before signing and read the fine print!

Unread 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM

7,065 posts, read 10,874,208 times
Good advice Steve on what kind of truck to get and how to pack it.

Unread 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM

If only they'd let me give Steve more points - oh--about 100 --for all his help. Thanks everyone for your support. The living room is getting full of boxes. Friends are coming over and taking the get rid of pile and recycling (using the stuff in their lives--trying to avoid anything going to the dump.)

Unread 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Good advice Steve on what kind of truck to get and how to pack it.
Thanks for the positive thoughts! Please advise if I can be of any further assistance. Good luck and take one step at a time and you'll arrive at your destination just as you have planned! Steve

Unread 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
If only they'd let me give Steve more points - oh--about 100 --for all his help. Thanks everyone for your support. The living room is getting full of boxes. Friends are coming over and taking the get rid of pile and recycling (using the stuff in their lives--trying to avoid anything going to the dump.)

Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico