Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Whew. I was afraid it had something to do with Nicaragua and Oliver North.

What would that dance look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:22 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Contra is lots of people laughing while attempting to follow the caller's instructions. Here's a a website that explains more:
WOW! Thanks for the detailed info and the photo! I'm going to check out the web page link and bone up on contra dancing! I'm 61 and I can remember square dancing shows on the old Dumont black and white console TV; contra dancing looks a lot like square dancing to me! Thanks again for the info and dosey doo and round she goes!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post

What would that dance look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
Whew. I was afraid it had something to do with Nicaragua and Oliver North.
Don't feel bad, I always picture Col. Oliver North in his Marine dress uniform testifying in front of the Senate Hearing when I hear/see the word "contra"!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
WOW! Thanks for the detailed info and the photo! I'm going to check out the web page link and bone up on contra dancing! I'm 61 and I can remember square dancing shows on the old Dumont black and white console TV; contra dancing looks a lot like square dancing to me! Thanks again for the info and dosey doo and round she goes!
It is a little like square dancing but I like it much better. It is done in long lines, you end up dancing with everyone in the line and people are not uptight when you mess up. Looks like Wilkes Barre has one -
http://www.folkloresociety.org/Dancing.html

Let me know how you like it. I never tried it when I lived in PA (Emmaus.)

Here's another link for when you move to NM
http://www.folkmads.org/

I've heard the summer camp in NM is a lot of fun. I never did make it when I lived there but it will be on my list for when I move back. Now I'm getting excited about moving back. waiting waiting waiting to hear if I got the job........will know by then the end of week 1 in January.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
It is a little like square dancing but I like it much better. It is done in long lines, you end up dancing with everyone in the line and people are not uptight when you mess up. Looks like Wilkes Barre has one -
http://www.folkloresociety.org/Dancing.html

Let me know how you like it. I never tried it when I lived in PA (Emmaus.)

Here's another link for when you move to NM
http://www.folkmads.org/

I've heard the summer camp in NM is a lot of fun. I never did make it when I lived there but it will be on my list for when I move back. Now I'm getting excited about moving back. waiting waiting waiting to hear if I got the job........will know by then the end of week 1 in January.
So, contra dancing is like line dancing and square dancing combined; that sounds interesting! I checked out the first page link and there is contra dancing in the Wilkes-Barre area! I'm guessing that Emmaus is about an hour's drive from Wilkes-Barre; I visited the area many times when I was in the moving business.

I just had to copy this off the contra web page; this is so Wyoming Valley and NE PA that it cries out to be posted: Please wear shoes with non-marking soles and heels (and, please, no high heels!). HAHAHA! I just couldn't past that up!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Line dancing...I play in a band that performs at senior centers, and the folks all want to line dance (they love "Elvira"). You haven't lived until you've seen the old folks line dance to "New York, New York"!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Line dancing...I play in a band that performs at senior centers, and the folks all want to line dance (they love "Elvira"). You haven't lived until you've seen the old folks line dance to "New York, New York"!
Hey, how about that! I played in an all-music band (drummer) named the "Sons of Beethoven" from 1959 to 1965 (age 13 to 18). We played everything from church bazaars to funerals; yes funerals! It was the best years of my life!

What instrument do you play?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:33 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
You haven't lived until you've seen the old folks line dance to "New York, New York"!
Do they do a Rockettes chorus line with a high kick?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Default Some of them try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Do they do a Rockettes chorus line with a high kick?
They aren't physically capable of that, fortunately. I wouldn't be mentally capable of watching it.

Steve: Notice my tagline...fretless bass! I also play tuba professionally, and bass trombone and contrabass clarinet for my own amusement and chagrin.

Happy Solstice celebrations, everyone!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Steve: Notice my tagline...fretless bass! I also play tuba professionally, and bass trombone and contrabass clarinet for my own amusement and chagrin.
Catman: I just noticed your tag line! In addition to drums, I also played 4 string bass; how does one play "fretless bass"? Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico