Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:16 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

I would like to thank whoever just Repped me. I had forgotten about this thread and the useful information on posting pictures. My wife and I are going to spend a week or so in T or C next week and expect to take a LOT of pictures. Winter has lasted a long time up here in New Hampshire and we plan on spending a lot of time in tubs filled with hot spring water until we thaw out. We will also be visiting most anything within a 100 miles or so of T or C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM

212 posts, read 371,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to thank whoever just Repped me. I had forgotten about this thread and the useful information on posting pictures. My wife and I are going to spend a week or so in T or C next week and expect to take a LOT of pictures. Winter has lasted a long time up here in New Hampshire and we plan on spending a lot of time in tubs filled with hot spring water until we thaw out. We will also be visiting most anything within a 100 miles or so of T or C.
Have you driven state highway 152 up and over the Black Range into Silver City before? If not, I very highly recommend you do. If you have done it and are planning on driving it again, I'd love to know what the current condition of the road is.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 PM

We plan on taking day trips to Silver City using Rt 152 and several ghost towns in the Black Range. I will post what I can.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:22 PM

212 posts, read 371,307 times
Quote:
We plan on taking day trips to Silver City using Rt 152 and several ghost towns in the Black Range. I will post what I can.
Don't forget to stop at the copper mine outside of Silver City. And if you have the time you, ought to drive up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. On the way back you can stop for tasty homemade ice cream at Doc Campbell's

Welcome to Doc Campbell's Post

Old 04-19-2015, 10:32 AM

We have ALL of these things on our To Do list. Doc Campbell's is where? Oh, I see. They are out by the Gilla Hot springs. Good. We will bring our bathing suits. We are still semi frozen from this last winter.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:13 AM

We just got back to new Hampshire from New Mexico. We stayed in T or C at the Charles Motel and Spa for 6 days (75 year old Motel with separate hot spring baths) and drove day trips from there. We did drive from T or C to Silver City and back on a beautiful but chilly day. It was great fun.

I like twisty roads and so far Rt. 152 is a winner. I lost track of 10-15 mph reverse curves after the first 15 or so. The road has been well repaired after the washouts, a lot of the damage is visible in the stream beds, caused by last year's rains. We had rented a Mazda M-3 sedan and I used the manual control of the automatic transmission. The car handled remarkable well and took the corners well above recommended levels and it still took over 2 hours to go 50 miles. A remarkable and fun road. In addition the view from the Emory Pass overlook is very difficult to describe beyond extraordinary.

We stood at the overlook at the Santa Rita Mine and I thought it only took a hundred years to dig that hole. What will it look like in another hundred? Yes, the pit is unnatural but so is a society and economy that requires mega tons of copper every year. To get the ore you have to dig where it is and it is completely unrealistic to fill the hole after your have recovered all the ore.

I will be writing a full trip report and commentary for ourselves and make it available. I'll let you know when it is done.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:45 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
We just got back to new Hampshire from New Mexico. We stayed in T or C at the Charles Motel and Spa for 6 days (75 year old Motel with separate hot spring baths) and drove day trips from there. We did drive from T or C to Silver City and back on a beautiful but chilly day. It was great fun.

I like twisty roads and so far Rt. 152 is a winner. I lost track of 10-15 mph reverse curves after the first 15 or so. The road has been well repaired after the washouts, a lot of the damage is visible in the stream beds, caused by last year's rains. We had rented a Mazda M-3 sedan and I used the manual control of the automatic transmission. The car handled remarkable well and took the corners well above recommended levels and it still took over 2 hours to go 50 miles. A remarkable and fun road. In addition the view from the Emory Pass overlook is very difficult to describe beyond extraordinary.

We stood at the overlook at the Santa Rita Mine and I thought it only took a hundred years to dig that hole. What will it look like in another hundred? Yes, the pit is unnatural but so is a society and economy that requires mega tons of copper every year. To get the ore you have to dig where it is and it is completely unrealistic to fill the hole after your have recovered all the ore.

I will be writing a full trip report and commentary for ourselves and make it available. I'll let you know when it is done.
Yes that is a very cool road. I remember the mine and wishing I could have got on the other side of that darn fence for some pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico