Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 9,794 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!! My husband and I have been stuck in the rat race and fast pace of NJ for some time now and are seriously considering relocating to the state of New Mexico! I am a Social Worker at a psychiatric hospital and my husband is an Italian and Comparative Literature Professor at a local college. We are seeking a quieter, less NJ lifestyle but also looking for help/ideas as far as the best towns to live in where we also have access to hospitals colleges/community colleges where we would be best able to find work! We have no children and don't plan to either! What are some of the nicest towns to live in! As well, what are some of the things us New Jerseyans should expect in terms of acclimating ourselves to a very new environment and climate!? Please help! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you all so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,138,469 times
You probably want to live in or close to Albuquerque/Santa Fe. But if you want further out in the country where it's peaceful and there's no traffic, let me know (we want to move *back* to the north and in the city). Good luck!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,794 times
I really am enchanted by both Alb & Santa Fe just can't quite get a sense about the employability factors there directly associated with myself and my husbands filed of work. A county life is just what we seek but that also needs to be joined with healthcare settings for me to work and higher educations settings for my husband. Any thoughts on these two employment factors related to a town in New Mexico!? I appreciate your feedback! What are some of your reasons for wanting to relocate?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:53 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,840,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy7934 View Post
Hello all!!! My husband and I have been stuck in the rat race and fast pace of NJ for some time now and are seriously considering relocating to the state of New Mexico! I am a Social Worker at a psychiatric hospital and my husband is an Italian and Comparative Literature Professor at a local college. We are seeking a quieter, less NJ lifestyle but also looking for help/ideas as far as the best towns to live in where we also have access to hospitals colleges/community colleges where we would be best able to find work! We have no children and don't plan to either! What are some of the nicest towns to live in! As well, what are some of the things us New Jerseyans should expect in terms of acclimating ourselves to a very new environment and climate!? Please help! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you all so much!!!
My wife and I are both educated and middle class. With that said we have lived in a lot of places, including NYC proper. We loved Silver City but it may be too small for you. Santa fe we found too posh and rich. Albuquerque is a nice city, we liked it too so it could be an option for you. A lot of folks like Las Cruces but we didn't. That's about all I can think for cities I would want to live in. There are a few other options like Grants, Gallup or Farmington but I have never been to any of these so cannot say anything

Have you ever actually been to NM?

Employability? Not sure about that one. I have found it is a tight and not very welcoming market but there are plenty of people on this forum who have had no problems finding employment, I think. They would be a better gauge.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,134,153 times
Your husband will likely find employment only at the towns with main campuses of universities that offer courses he's qualified to teach. That limits him to Albuq, Las Cruces and possibly Portales. Employment in the social worker field has more options to choose from.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:06 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,468,275 times
There have been a number of high profile child abuse cases/deaths and police shootings in ABQ over the last several months that have really shone a light on the lack of a good social services safety net in NM and ABQ for folks with mental and other disabilities/issues. It's possible this could result in quite a bit of additional funding to try to address these issues, which IMO might translate into more social worker jobs. But certainly no guarantees about that. Suggest you try contacting social service agencies at the state and local level to see what they can tell you about current and possible future job openings.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,415,941 times
I used to live in Placitas and had a couple neighbors who were profs at UNM. You might want to investigate that area. Presbyterian Health Services has some facilities in Rio Rancho, which is a short drive.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times
Compared to anywhere in NJ no place in NM has heavy traffic. Good luck to the OP. I hope you find some peace.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:09 PM

138 posts, read 269,246 times
With the backgrounds you discuss, you should check out Las Vegas (NM) The state mental hospital is there as well as Highlands University which offers, among other things, social worker concentrations. It's a super cute town, small, with nearby beautiful country living. There is also a general hospital (Alta Vista)

The locals can be...........colorful. There's also Armand Hammer World College which is gorgeous. The weather is going to be a little cooler in the winter than ABQ but not by much. Summers are more pleasant, too.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,840,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
With the backgrounds you discuss, you should check out Las Vegas (NM) The state mental hospital is there as well as Highlands University which offers, among other things, social worker concentrations. It's a super cute town, small, with nearby beautiful country living. There is also a general hospital (Alta Vista)

The locals can be...........colorful. There's also Armand Hammer World College which is gorgeous. The weather is going to be a little cooler in the winter than ABQ but not by much. Summers are more pleasant, too.
Super cute with twice the average crime rate and projects right in town, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico