Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,522,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post
Great photos 6 foot 3.

I loved our short visit to Gallup. We saw Zuni's dancing at the courthouse, we ate New Mexican food while buying pottery & jewelry, we saw a great local school play, we went to a flee market & bought wonderful tamales & watermelon, we went to a cute little cafe, and we stopped at a bar w/a country band. This was all in one day!
Yeap....no problem......

I've been to Gallup quite a few times on my way to Phoenix over the years. You can definately find the Jewelry out there....lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times
Ya know, if everybody that says they are moving to New Mexico actually does, the place will become a crowded as Phoenix.

Just kidding.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 AM

3,011 posts, read 9,999,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ya know, if everybody that says they are moving to New Mexico actually does, the place will become a crowded as Phoenix.

Just kidding.
I've thought of that many times, Greg. I wonder how many people who say they are moving to NM actually DO?

And I wonder how many try to change it to what they had "back home"?

And I wonder how many stay?

Not talking about anyone on this thread...just wondering because of the sheer numbers of people who post here and say they are moving to NM .

Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,968,405 times
Default RE: Gallup and the general area

Howdy folks:
Well we bought some property down Fence Lake area (very reasonable) and we are building a log home (3000 sq ft). This will be a model home as I am a rep for Original Lincoln Logs out of N.Y.
We are now in Grants at the KOA in a 5th wheel for the past 6 months.

I research N.M. for over 2 years and have a friend in Cloudcroft.

New Mexico is the old West...It is different..ABQ is a city...just like most big cities and has its own problems.

Gallup is a city and has its growing pains...New Uranium mine to open in Grants in the next few years, and many folks moving down this way:
due to Low cost of property, low taxes.....
But the area does have a large Native American population.
These peoples have had to struggle for many years and still have more to struggle thru..but, they are polite, considerate and keep to themselves.

Re medical: this is one of the most significient problems:
Many doctores are not accepting new patients. If you have a HMO you would be assigned to a MD(perhaps).
Weather is well, study the records.
It is colder than most areas of the NW. , however Abq is warmer and Red River etc is colder. Fench Lake is somewhat warmer by a few degrees.

Lot of (cleache')sp...nasty mud..the stuff those great adobe homes are made of.

I used this formum for a few years and got a very good feel for the area.
We also spent 8weeks over 2 years to come down and see the area.

I was raised in Arizona and feel better in this climate.

Housing in the Gallup area may be a challenge as you will find poverty next to very nice homes.

Private schooling and home schooling is something to consider.

This area is NOT for everyone....It is still the "Pilgrims" landing area..
However the climate is great...lots to do re hiking, fishing, hunting, and just seeing areas that are NOT screwed up by industry and big companies.

I am happy to repond to any questions and I know that "crackerjack" is also very knowledgeable re this area as he helped me.

Happy Trails,

A.J.Andy Pitman Ponderosaloghomes@Hotmail.com

Please no comments to this email address.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 PM

13 posts, read 56,334 times
Thank you all for the info and the great pics. I should have checked back sooner. Well we are just waiting for the call to find out and we are all getting rather excited. I just found out I have relatives in Gallup and in other cities in NM. From what I can see it's not much different than southern Utah which I have been to many times. (I could be totally wrong in my assumptions.)

Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Yay! We are going to move, my husband just got the news.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,999,287 times
Oh darn. Another person gets to New Mexico before I do.

Seriously, just kidding! I hope the move goes well and you absolutely love it there. Keep us informed!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Oh darn. Another person gets to New Mexico before I do.

Seriously, just kidding! I hope the move goes well and you absolutely love it there. Keep us informed!!!!
No problem, I have enjoyed reading about the different states and I'm glad I found this forum. There won’t be much to report for a little while. Until my husband finishes with his training class, unless everyone wants to read about me packing.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,093,809 times
Hunter World: The word is 'caliche'. It is nasty stuff indeed, but if it were not, it wouldn't be so good for making adobe.

I buy stuff from the Southwest Indian Foundation in Gallup from here in Ft Worth. I have never been to Gallup, but I've been to Window Rock, AZ not very far away, and it's remarkable. The Indians in general got a really raw deal, IMO.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Hunter World: The word is 'caliche'. It is nasty stuff indeed, but if it were not, it wouldn't be so good for making adobe.

I buy stuff from the Southwest Indian Foundation in Gallup from here in Ft Worth. I have never been to Gallup, but I've been to Window Rock, AZ not very far away, and it's remarkable. The Indians in general got a really raw deal, IMO.
I used to, until this year.

I ordered what looked like a beautiful votive candle holder to take home as little gifts from NM for everybody this year. They acknowledged my order (order placed a full MONTH in advance), but did not bother to tell me that it had been backordered. I check weeks later, find out they had charged my credit card for the item, that was put on further backorder, and won't be delivered for another 4 weeks.

No reputable company charges a credit card until the item is ready for shipment. It took two phone calls and two emails to get this straightened out. As I won't have the item in time, I told them to forget it, canceled it, and bought some small items locally.

If I were going to guess, they are short on funds, and used the money for their own purposes until crediting my card back.

I'll think long and hard before I order again. I have placed substantial orders in the past, and I didn't really appreciate this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico