Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,389 times

Advertisements

Why is Espanola considered bad? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
What made you think it was bad? I have heard they have a drug problem, but I've never seen it. Have driven through Espanola and stopped to eat there probably 15 times. No issue with us. Yo might read these threads if you already haven't:
About Espanola!
Espanola #1 in the rankings - Drugs
Espanola
Moving to Espanola! - Advice?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:18 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,390 times
What is the name of that Mexican restaurant off the hwy between Espanola and Santa Fe. Ate there a few months ago and they had the best margaritas I've ever had. Food was pretty good too. I'd like to leave a review and of course go again. I pass through Espanola at least a few times a year on our way to Chama or back down to Santa Fe. I too heard it was bad but why? Heck I live out in the country and people say they would be afraid because of meth labs. Haven't seen any but maybe because this is all ranches so you don't have neighbors.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
What is the name of that Mexican restaurant off the hwy between Espanola and Santa Fe. Ate there a few months ago and they had the best margaritas I've ever had.
Could it be El Paraguas?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,606 times
I think its the gangs but thats in any place now but especially in the sw. Lololwe were at the Sonic in Espaniola next to this little motel but this was years ago. Wow was that an experiance. Either fri or sat night. Hahaha the cops looked terrified when they drive through

Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Could it be El Paraguas?
Probably Gabriel's. Also known for their guacamole.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What made you think it was bad?
The crime rate stats in the 1000s?

Can anyone shed light on these numbers? For such a small town I have always wondered about the following:

1) are the majority of people in the town criminals?
2) if not 1), then a smaller number of people must be perpetrating the majority of the crime - if so, why is this not taken care of by the local law enforcement?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 AM

506 posts, read 326,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post

Can anyone shed light on these numbers? For such a small town I have always wondered about the following:

2) if not 1), then a smaller number of people must be perpetrating the majority of the crime - if so, why is this not taken care of by the local law enforcement?

Thanks!
1) No
2) There is not a lot of people, so there's not a lot of law enforcement.

That's my best guess on this.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM

138 posts, read 269,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post

Thanks!
2 reasons: 1- the ratio of law enforcement to citizens is low, 2. Many of the LEOs are primos (cousins, relatives) of the population! LOL Also, in small Northern New Mexico towns, it is very common for residents to have a distrust of law enforcement. I lived in a town (village) where everyone knew who the biggest drug dealer in the area was, but not a soul would tell a cop. Neither did they tend to call cops when they'd been a victim of burglary or assault as they usually knew or had a good feeling who the culprit was.

Is Espanola "bad"? I don't know, it's certainly VERY different from most of America. The culture is very undiluted, though I'm not sure I'm making sense by saying that. The area is also very economically depressed and drugs are rampant.

One of my best friends was born and raised there and she loves it, but I would also say she keeps it at arm's length and is smart about where she goes and who she trusts.

Espanola has some good things, too: their hospital is new and it seems the ratio of caregivers to patients is good. The animal shelter is awesome, too! They have many great programs to spay pets and also have programs for free/discounted vaccinations. I won't even go to the shelter in Santa Fe- total snobs.

I think the restaurant Debbie was talking about between SF and Espa is Gabriel's and it's great! El Paragua in Espanola is also fantastic.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Probably Gabriel's. Also known for their guacamole.
Thats the one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico