Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 12:05 PM

18 posts, read 40,593 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in buying property with Ponderosa pines. I would like 20 acres + or a few lots next to each other. I would like to be with in an hour of a town for shopping. I've been looking in Pie a Town and Ramah. Would like to stay in the northern part of NM, but will consider other areas if the price is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 02:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,507,287 times
I'd like to buy some acreage between High Rolls Mountain Park and cloudcroft. Waiting for a few things including ocean front to sell in Texas .. but then...

Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 AM

481 posts, read 1,297,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marionette912 View Post
I'm interested in buying property with Ponderosa pines. I would like 20 acres + or a few lots next to each other. I would like to be with in an hour of a town for shopping. I've been looking in Pie a Town and Ramah. Would like to stay in the northern part of NM, but will consider other areas if the price is cheap.
There are two subdivisions in New Mexico called Ponderosa Pines that I'm aware of. One is near Cloudcroft and one is near Ramah. From your post I'm going to assume you're looking at the one near Ramah. That one I know, so let me give you a little insight. I grew up in, and am familiar with, that part of McKinley/Cibola Counties.

They are cheap lots and for a reason. That part of NM is remote. Water is scarce and if you plan on drilling a well it will cost you the price of the lot up to ten-fold. IF you can hit water. If not, you still pay for drilling and can keep trying until you're broke. Plan to get a cistern and having water hauled into your lot. Access to the lots can be tricky, to say the least. There may be a road but there may only be a two-wheel track. Due your due diligence. Even if it's a "road" it is likely to be a mud pit when it rains and an ungraded, washboard nightmare when it's dry. Look at the lot before you buy.

If you plan to live there year round you better have a source of income that doesn't rely on the local economy or getting a job. Ramah is a very insular Mormon community that sticks to its own. It's a very friendly and hospitable town but it doesn't have jobs. Need a job? It's an hour commute to Gallup or Grants. Gallup has low wage service industry jobs that cater to the influx of shoppers coming in from the reservations. Grants is a busted uranium mining town that has few jobs and many people there commute to Albuquerque, another hour away.

Pie Town? Even more remote. Don't plan on getting a job any closer than Socorro or Springerville/Eager, AZ, both pushing two hours one-way.

You have chosen to look at some of the most remote places in NW NM. Any services will be a trip. However, if you're not needing to make a living or be close to any hospitals, stores, gas stations or anything else, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth with some of the most salt-of-the-earth, friendly and neighborly people you will ever meet. I'm incredibly lucky to have lived in that area and being a rural boy, I'd return in heartbeat if I didn't have to make a living. If you're REALLY looking to get remote, check out Fence Lake.

I'm not Mormon but I went to the church in Ramah and had many friends in the town. I'm white but loved living in Zuni and had many friends there. That's that area. It's a cultural mishmash that either you love or hate. It takes a special person to live, love and miss that part of the world. :-)

Last edited by Littlekw; 09-12-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 08:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,134,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
You have chosen to look at some of the most remote places in NW NM. Any services will be a trip. However, if you're not needing to make a living or be close to any hospitals, stores, gas stations or anything else...
AMEN! to that...

If the only requirement is that the property have Ponderosa pines on it, there are many other locations much less isolated to satisfy the need for trees for a reasonable price.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,571,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marionette912 View Post
Would like to stay in the northern part of NM, but will consider other areas if the price is cheap.
May I ask why you prefer the northern part? Is there something you'd like to be close to?

Also, what services does the town need to have?

One major negative of Ponderosa pines is that they burn quite readily (forest fires). There have been some really nasty ones the last few years. Also, unless you clear the south side of your house, they block solar heating in winter... which is one feature I'd hate to miss in NM winter.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 AM

121 posts, read 119,117 times
Default I have property for sale, if you're still looking

Not 20+ acres though, only 12.Does have a mobile/outbuildings etc. However it is remote, but good access near lake, natl. forest. About 40 min to either Grants or Gallup. Ramah would be a good choice for you also, but it is even more remote. Believe me, you get sick of long drives to town. If you're talking raw land, there is plenty really inexpensive all over, but it will be expensive to get it livable. I'd advise something set up with a well, septic, home, elec., fencing. This would be overall the more practical and better value out in these parts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico