U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM

33,592 posts, read 28,777,659 times

Advertisements

We can no longer discharge a firearm in Londonderry, NH except on the local gun club range. Even though I like to shoot I am not upset because we are way too crowded for open hunting of anything with even a .22 LR. It would likely hit somebody, their pet, car or house.

I doubt if NM will ever get that crowded (the population of Londonderry, NH is about 20,000 people on 40 sq miles. The population of Socorro County is about the same on 7.000 sq mi). Still I doubt if I could, not that I would, shoot targets in my (future) yard in Socorro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM

469 posts, read 728,213 times
Kim, let me see if I can answer your questions.
Yes, the animals must be dispatched and yes my method is with a handgun.
But stop and think about the meat you get in the supermarket, do you think they died of old age?

The remains of an animal after it is skinned, well it depends.
Beaver, coon and bobcat are quite edible. I have eaten all 3.
Coyotes and fox are edible but not commonly eaten.
What is not used by me for bait etc is buried. If I am in a really remote area I will also leave the body for the birds of pey etc.

As for income. Well that to depends. A person running a few traps can make a little money. Those who depend on it for a large part of their winter income don't run a few traps. Not at all uncommon to run a hundred or more.
If a person is only catching a few coyotes every 3 days then they are doing something wrong.

As for easier work, you are right. Trapping is TOUGH, but there are not alot of jobs that will keep you in shape, healthy and outdoors full time.
You have to have a particular type of personality to do this job or any other number of jobs that I can imagine.
Like I tell folks, if ya can't run with the big dogs they ya better stay under the porch!

While I can't speak for everyone, taxes must be paid.

ANd yes I have my own dogs, a golden lab and a siberian husky.
As for the rancher that allows his dogs to run with him, while that is the custom it is no more legal then anyone else letting their dogs run loose.
My dogs are contained unless they are running on my land. When they go out with me they stay on a leash.

I'm sure that things will change in NM over the years. I would also be willing to bet that alot WON'T change also.
In 1910 the population of NM was about 327,296 the population today is about 1,954,599
A big jump of the last 98 years. Yup, some of the laws have changed since then. Some for the better and some not. NM became a state on Jan. 6, 1912 by the way.
I think that you will find that alot of the laws that related to the "oldways" are still pretty close to being the same.
I.E, the right to trap to start with, the fact that it is legal to carry a firearm in most places, the right to use that firearm to defend yourself and your property and alot of other rights that people in other states don't enjoy.

As the Senior District Court Judge told me one time over coffee.
"The nice thing about NM is that we have the right to be let alone"

Kim, I have a challenge for ya. In June of every year there is a gathering here in the Sacramento mountains.
No, it's not a gathering of trappers. It runs over a Saturday and Sunday, not sure of this years dates yet.
It is designed to educate the kids and young people of our area about the great outdoors.
The people that attend get a touch of a wide variety of activities in the outdoors and get to see first hand what it is all about.
We already have 140 people signed up to attend this year.
This is put on and run by the Game and Fish Dept, Forest Service, NWTF and a few other related organizations.
You should grab your tent and join us and see first hand what it is all about.
If you are seriously concerned about the outdoors I ask you to let me know and I will keep you advised of dates, times etc.
YOu will have the chance to meet alot of good people and will I'm sure come to realize that they are not the horrible, cruel people that they are made out to be.
Oh, food, drinks etc. are provided and the cost is $0.00 to the people who attend. You can also bring your RV if ya don't want to sleep in a tent

Last edited by mtncat; 01-04-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM

TK, Catron county was the one I was talking about going back in time 200 years, I do love that country though
Greg, your right about shooting around houses, I have enough land and could but I don't because of the noise level.
And yes, bird dogs are great, prior to the husky and the lab I had a golden retriever for 17 years

Old 01-04-2008, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 15,291 times
That ranchers dogs have a purpose that effect his livelyhood. They work for a living. You can not use herding dogs on a lease to gather your cattle. I almost surely guarantee those dogs are well trained. Kim you would propbably change your mind on trapping if one of your dogs was killed by coyotes for example. Then again maybe not. When the population of carnivores reaches high numbers and game becomes scarce people pets(kids in some cases)trash cans become easy prey. I've seen this in different states before. We have this problem here Alaska every year in the cities with transplants and bears. As someone who has professionally trained dogs for close to 30 yrs with my specialty in working dogs and a recreational dog musher for 15 yrs.and a Pet Food distributor(when I lived in Oregon)who has seen the travisties of pet owners with obese untrained animals(sit and shake is not training)is saddening. Please I'm not saying you are Kim. I'm generalizing and in know way saying anything toward anyone I don't know. Its thoughs kind of people who have caused us responsible owners to suffer just the same way those same kind of people who hunt or trap don't follow the rules. It would be just like if someone moves by you and complains how cruel you are for having your dogs fenced in. Believe me I seen this before. My dogs are fenced in also. However,I'm not one to take it on the chin when some politican or anyone else wants to make a law based on a small majority of wrong doers or who complains about my animals without real cause. I'm not nice anymore. Untill we as responsible animal owners stand up and say no more in one big loud voice people will get away with effecting our lives. There is absolutly nothing wrong with having an educated opinion and not liking the way something is done. Since serving in the Army I don't hunt anymore myself other then with a camera. However I do carry a rifle incase a moose tries to stomp my dog team because it won't get off our groomed trails in deep snow years. By the way I've never had to shoot one. Growing up we had deer in our freezer all the time and fresh beef from working on cattle ranches in the summer. But I don't condone others who do. I may not like the way they kill some of the animals.
About the comment of bashing fish in the head to kill them its true. However,as someone who was in the fishing industry here in Alaska there's a reason for it on a commercial boat. Live fish can do major damage to your boat when they weigh in 20 to over a 100 lbs depending on what species your catching. We shot the larger Halibit in the head with a 410 shotgun. Why because they can literaly cause leaks in your boat by beating the bottom of the boat with there tails. There's a reason for everything its just some people do it out of ingnorance because they heard other have done it.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM

385 posts, read 1,074,179 times
Yeah, that whole pounding the fish in the head was out of ignorance. I saw it up along one of the rivers in Oregon (could be the Columbia River) during salmon season. These were just crazed bank fishermen. Weird. I really couldn't see the need. These were the same guys who had whole canning operations in their RV's which of course, they were not permitted to do.

I do actually know quite a few fish and game folk in California. They would go up there to Oregon when the season opened to help out. Maybe it was the Klamath River.

I would love to go up there in June, Mtncat. We have a place in Ruidoso so we are up there a lot year round. In fact, my good friend's adult daughter has moved to NM and she will come up with my daughter and I. Her mother was a California State Fish and Game Warden who died about 8 years ago. In her mother's honor, California Fish and Game has a similar program but just for young girls to be introduced to hunting.

I am not as anti-hunting as people may have thought here. I have even been hunting for quail-needless to say, the quail were quite safe when I was out there! I also enjoy eating venison, elk and bear.

So, just give me a head's up on the date(s). I would love to have a chat over some free food. Thanks for the thought.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Kim, we have a meeting on Monday evening and I will let you know the dates then. Feel free to bring the family and friends.
It is alot of fun. Kind of high stress for us that run the thing.
Trying to organize, keep track of and feed that many folks is an adventure
Oh, I do cheat and bring the RV, out grew sleeping on the ground more then just a few years ago

Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Kim, sent you a direct or private message.
Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,777,659 times
mtncat - thanks for the tip about the "roundup?" I'll see if we can put it into our vacation.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
mtncat - thanks for the tip about the "roundup?" I'll see if we can put it into our vacation.
Would love to see ya'll I'll P.M you details as they become avaliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico