U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,424,761 times

Advertisements

I had a very unpleasant situation yesterday while walking on BLM land with my dogs. This area is less than 1/8 mi. from my home. I usually let the dogs off leash once we cross into this land. Since, I have been told this is not allowed-only leashed dogs. I certainly will leash them from now on. I heard that there were hunters that "hunt" this land. Now, in my little naive mind, "hunting" to me meant some type of sport where one actually walks out into the bush and tracks animals and shoots them. I didn't realize "hunting" also means settting steal traps with meat in them and just hiding them in the bushes along trails and roads.

My dogs were running through the brush when I saw a coyote run across the road about one quarter mile beyond us closely followed by my two 40 pound mutts. I knew what was going to happen so I took off running and screaming. When I got to them, my dogs were face to face with a trapped coyote. The coyote had its leg in this device and the claws on the trap had set into the brush, preventing it from moving. We managed to get our dogs leashed and backed away from this poor creature.

I went back to the house to get my gun as I intended to shoot it. A neighbor rancher was driving by and I asked him about it. He said not to shoot it as it was on federal land and these traps were set by federal trappers and it is a crime to shoot them and put them out of their misery. He said not to worry that the hunter would likely return in "five days."

I have since learned that 1) these may just be hunters that have permits; 2)they have to return to the traps in 24 hours but these types of traps allow the animals to drag them for a ways before the hooks set 3)these trappers allegedly know how to track the dragged traps (right) 4)they trap them and kill them for their pelts 5)shooting it would have been a crime unless we are protecting ourselves 5)coyote hunting in NM is from 11/1 to 3/1.

I have no problem with stalking animals through the mountains and valleys and killing them a gun blast or bow and arrow. This, however, does not seem like hunting to me. Also, BLM land is always touted as "your" land, John Q Public, to wander freely and hike, or mountain bike or ride horses. I, myself, have ridden horses out there-now I won't. I won't let my kid rock hunt out there. I won't leave the road ever. Luckily my dogs nor my companion and I were injured. Next time, I will carry my gun and I will shoot the animal as I will not look at that again. I do also wonder about people who do this. Can you imagine looking into those yellow, pained eyes, several times a day....? I never want to see that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
TKO

2,961 posts, read 3,102,980 times
That's not hunting in any fashion or form. I am hunter and trapping is a different thing entirely. I'd bet money it was the BLM themselves who set the trap at the behest of the rancher that has that allotment.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,760,731 times
Make sure you obey the law.

Law Prohibits Harassing Legal HuntersNMSA 1978, Chapter 17-2-7.1

New Mexico has a law prohibiting "hunter harassment" or interfering with another person who is lawfully hunting, trapping, or fishing in an area where those activities are permitted. The first offense is a petty misdemeanor, the second a misdemeanor.If a person who commits interference possesses a license, certificate or permit issued to him by the State Game Commission, the license, certificate or permit will be subject to revocation.

Interference means:
1. Intentionally placing yourself in a location where a human presence may affect the behavior of a game animal, bird, or fish or the feasibility of killing or taking a game animal, bird or fish, with the intent of interfering with or harassing another person who is lawfully hunting, trapping or fishing.
2. Intentionally creating a visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimulus for the purpose of affecting the behavior of a game animal, bird or fish, with the intent of interfering with or harassing another person who is lawfully hunting, fishing or trapping.
3. Intentionally affecting the condition or altering the placement of personal property used for the purpose of killing or taking a game animal, bird or fish

Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
TKO

Coyotes are considered vermin and while there is a season for trapping them, only when their pelts are good, you can hunt them year round. I'm not into hunting predator's but yb is right hunting and trapping them are legal.

The "wild west" is a great place but there are facets of it that are disturbing, yet they are a part of the way things are. It ceases to be wild and changes for the worse IMO when sensibilities are offended and changes are made. It's cruel to leave a coyote in a trap but it's just as cruel for a coyote to disembowel a calf when it's already eaten. It's life out here.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM

385 posts, read 1,424,761 times
Yes, I think you are both right. It is life out here and as I said in my post, I am very naive about hunting and trapping as I don't do it. I am not against hunting but clearly I am against trapping (after this). And, if a coyote had come into my yard and ripped my cat, or worse yet, my kid, apart, I would definitely feel different. Lots of us city folk move out to these parts and really don't get it. I have spoken at length to the rancher and I do see his perspective on some of this. Its definitely a balancing act. And, my new house has clearly invaded a lot of habitat. The other thing that really freaked me out was the fact that we could easily have stepped in this trap. I think they have to be 25 yards off the road or something but we just go walking. It never occurred to me that these traps might be out here.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 PM

3,499 posts, read 8,552,916 times
I'm a hunter but I also agree that trapping is not hunting and do not support it. But NM is very much the wild west so it is something you learn to deal with.

Land issues are taken very serious in some areas of the state.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,760,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I'm a hunter but I also agree that trapping is not hunting and do not support it. But NM is very much the wild west so it is something you learn to deal with.

Land issues are taken very serious in some areas of the state.

Once the new to the state anti's get trapping banned what do you think they will go after next? Hint, they are really fond of bowhunting.
I love it when outsiders come here and think that NM needs to be more like the ****holes they left.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 PM
TKO

That's a healthy attitude Kim. Trappings a hard thing to swallow. I don't like it either but I see the point of the rancher some too. I differ with them greatly when it comes to the wolves but, fortunately for him, coyote isn't in any danger of disappearing. If anything your (and mine) encroachment on his habitat only makes his life easier. He's the real winner in the picture despite that one you saw in the trap, at least it seems that way to me.

It does seem that it would be easy enough to put signs, or some way of notify people, that the land contains traps.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:50 PM

253 posts, read 1,623,100 times
Trapping is not hunting, it's akin to Nazi death camps. I'd go out there in the dead of night and shoot the tortured animal - this coming from a vegetarian.

We can only hope that the trapper's children will soon fall victim to the traps. Karma, dude.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 AM

101 posts, read 347,315 times
Kim,

You've only seen the tip of the iceburg.......

BLM land is yours and mine. It's the peoples' land so-to-speak.

Trapping is a disgrace. Trapping is NOT hunting. Only the lazy and stupid trap in my opinion.

I'll post more on this tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico