Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree with everything you're saying, EnjoyEP and yukon. Let me clarify a little my concern. It's not the actual population of the city I'm concerned about, it's the size of the economy. There are small and medium sized cities with great economies and big cities with weak or declining economies, and everything in between. I figure if a city has half a million people or more, that's more than enough people to support malls, all the latest chains, some parks, libraries, museums, etc,... all the works. Actually, if a city can support all those things with under a million people, then all the better! For example, according to bestbuy.com, there are 2 Best Buy locations in Albuquerque. There are 18 Best Buy stores in the greater Phoenix area. One's enough, two's plenty; would Albuquerque be 9 times better of a city if it had 9 times the number of Best Buy stores? I doubt it. Especially when it comes to cities in the west, with 1x1 mile grids, the whole city is pretty much uniform density. All adding population does is add more of the same stuff; it doesn't make the city qualitatively any different. Phoenix might be over 5 times larger than Albuquerque, but it is no denser. Neither one resembles New York City. The question is does the city have a diverse economy with plenty of jobs that pay enough to make a decent living, giving the local cost of living? That's the question, and that's what I'm currently in the process of researching.
Very insightful post about what makes a city great! I couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 PM

96 posts, read 410,275 times
Digital Arts Conference '08: General Session: March 1, 2008 (http://dce.unm.edu/Events/Conference/DigitalArts_08/General.cfm - broken link)

UNM is hosting a digital arts event March 1, with Abq Studios.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 18,432 times
Default Film Industry

I HATE the film industry being here! I tried to go to the only Bank Of America in my area only to have some film security guard scream at me telling me they were 'filming' on that block and I couldn't go to the bank!?..... It's horribly annoying and I hate how they come into sections of the city and feel like they can 're-direct' everyone to anywhere they'd like. Then you have cows like Jessica Alba that says theres nothing but Chili's and Applebees and Walmart?! and Tommy Lee who says this city is "too noisy?!" Most of the time ABQ is only being used as the backdrop to some deserted city, run down area, or truck stop....real nice representations of the city! NOT!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM

16 posts, read 36,144 times
I read that Jesica Alba had confused Albuquerque with Alamgordo, where the crew spent 2 months filming, when giving that appraisal; proving, of course, that she is every bit the intellectual we thought she was.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM

35 posts, read 123,163 times
Default Don't Do It!!!

I am from Maryland, right outside of Washington DC. The cost of living in Maryland has sky rocketted, not to mention hordes and hordes of people moving there,...which is why I moved. I majored in television production, so I figured with the film industry movng to Albuquerque, that I would have a good opportunity. Boy was I wrong. I worked for a lighting company in DC, wedid events for the Republican/Democratic party, BET studios, tons of other events. I believe I have a pretty solid resume. So after moving to ABQ, and sending my resume 5 times over a 6 month period,...they finally decided to get in touch with me. I'm not sure who I was dealing with, but after the 5th time I sent my resume, they wrote to me and said they liked my references, and how much would I like as a salary? I wrote back its nogotiable,...then never heard from them again. Basically, yeah theres some movies/tv shows being filmed here,...but they fly in their own crews from Cali, or hire cheap labor (i.e - film students from the college). Unless you know someone, seriously do not plan on getting into the film industry here. With an associates degree, a broadcast journalism certificate, and a television production certificate,...the best job I have been able to find, is being a delivery driver for 10 bucks an hour. The locals told me this was the land of entrapment, not the land of enchantment...and now I certainly know why. I mean, I can't even save up enough money to move the hell out of this state. Its like you move here, then realize its a deadend town,...but then your stuck. My best advice would be, only come here if you are GAURANTEED a good paying job. A city will really tell you something, when 8 out of 10 locals hate ther own city...which is whatI have found out.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdownthefed View Post
A city will really tell you something, when 8 out of 10 locals hate ther own city...which is whatI have found out.
Hmm... you must be living in a different city than I am then. Of all the locals I am intouch with, the majority LOVE this city, and the other small minority thinkgs its okay. I only know two people who honestly hate this city. Thats pretty good for a business man who does a lot of interaction with people.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdownthefed View Post
I am from Maryland, right outside of Washington DC. The cost of living in Maryland has sky rocketted, not to mention hordes and hordes of people moving there,...which is why I moved. I majored in television production, so I figured with the film industry movng to Albuquerque, that I would have a good opportunity. Boy was I wrong. I worked for a lighting company in DC, wedid events for the Republican/Democratic party, BET studios, tons of other events. I believe I have a pretty solid resume. So after moving to ABQ, and sending my resume 5 times over a 6 month period,...they finally decided to get in touch with me. I'm not sure who I was dealing with, but after the 5th time I sent my resume, they wrote to me and said they liked my references, and how much would I like as a salary? I wrote back its nogotiable,...then never heard from them again. Basically, yeah theres some movies/tv shows being filmed here,...but they fly in their own crews from Cali, or hire cheap labor (i.e - film students from the college). Unless you know someone, seriously do not plan on getting into the film industry here. With an associates degree, a broadcast journalism certificate, and a television production certificate,...the best job I have been able to find, is being a delivery driver for 10 bucks an hour. The locals told me this was the land of entrapment, not the land of enchantment...and now I certainly know why. I mean, I can't even save up enough money to move the hell out of this state. Its like you move here, then realize its a deadend town,...but then your stuck. My best advice would be, only come here if you are GAURANTEED a good paying job. A city will really tell you something, when 8 out of 10 locals hate ther own city...which is whatI have found out.
Perhaps you were supposed to join the union.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Native Sun told us:

> I read that Jesica Alba had confused ... proving, of course,
> that she is every bit the intellectual we thought she was.

You are so behind on this thread. (see page 1)

I'm not saying you do, but people seem to think that we pay these stars money to be smart. The truth is that we pay them to pretend they are someone else and very frequently (like in Alba's case) we want them to look impossibly good-looking.

That's all I want them to do for me.

When they start telling me what kind of sacrifices I should be willing to make for their cause ... well, you can guess what importance I attach to that sort of thing.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
What cause, it's an industry. Albuquerque should be grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
When they start telling me what kind of sacrifices I should be willing to make for their cause ... well, you can guess what importance I attach to that sort of thing.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,432 times
Default Other New Mexico Film happenings in Albuquerque

Here's an article about an event for any interested parties to network at:

Conference to focus on New Mexico filmmakers - New Mexico Business Weekly:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico