Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times

Advertisements

Missing Ohio right now. Football, apples, fall leaves, friends. Enjoying my job and new friends but missing friends and family can be a real b----. I haven't thought about it since I got here, and now I'm reflecting and thinking....too much.
Any ideas? I've been here a year. How long did it take you other transplants to stop missing the Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:26 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
I stopped missing the midwest several years before I left... which was as soon as I got out of college.

Other people are much more attached to their friends and family and nostalgic of where they grew up... and I understand that. And right now is the magical time of year where the weather is pretty good over the whole country, trees are starting to turn beautiful colors, and will soon be followed by holiday season. So ya... not surprising at all that you are missing it.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Any ideas? I've been here a year. How long did it take you other transplants to stop missing the Midwest?
I started moving around when I was 20. Jobs moved me around. My family is also all over. Been here this time in New Mexico longer than any other place.

I'm not from the Midwest.

Plan trips to visit family. We have had family come out here to visit us. The family separation seem to be the worst for us as well as for other friends.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
I'm going through the "missing thing" as well. I'm not from New Mexico I'm from Seattle and I haven't been there since 2012. I have family there and I just love the topography so much of the area. And the Seahawks.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:31 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,367 times
Oldest daughter moved there sight unseen after law school at OSU. Obviously she misses family and friends here at home outside Chicago. Missing that would be true no matter where you moved away to. Aside from that she misses certain foods NM has not a prayer of matching and perhaps a better chance of snow at Christmas. When she does return home she complains of the feeling of the sky caving in compared to the NM skies.

Eventually when I make my move I suppose certain foods is what I will miss most. Maybe too our autumns as I don't have to drive to 4th July Canyon to see orange and red trees mixed with yellow.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
When she does return home she complains of the feeling of the sky caving in compared to the NM skies.
That's a phenomenon which needs to be actually experienced to appreciate...

Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Having been born in El Paso, TX and spending the first 27 years of my life there, I moved to the deep south city of Mobile, AL, where I never got over the claustrophobic feeling of not being able to see the woods for the trees. All that green was soothing on the eyes, and the first thing I had to do upon returning to El Paso five years later was to put on the darkest pair of glasses I could find.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I miss the past too man. Like Al Bundy I was a football star and I once scored 4 TD's in a game. Good times.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 AM

16,079 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I've been here for a year as well...from the midwest. I don't miss snow or tornados. I don't miss traffic and long commutes. The bosque in the fall is prettier than anything we had close at hand back east. I'm adjusting to the slower pace but it can be frustrating. I like that it takes 10 minutes to get to open space or even out of the city. I've struggled a little with the windy months in spring. I thought single digit was lethal but it's great. There are trade offs but i like it.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:50 PM

53 posts, read 125,647 times
My husband and I have been here a year this month, we are transplants from Chicago. The ONLY thing I miss is family and a really good Chicago style pizza and maybe a Vienna hot dog. We love the weather and the scenery. I love being able to see for miles and go hiking at the drop of a hat! ABQ may not have good pizza but the trade off is yummy green and red chile!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: