Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

Not to be the downer and thread-assassin I usually think I've become, but isn't this sort of thing relative to any particular dry environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
but isn't this sort of thing relative to any particular dry environment?
Maybe...

Quote:
already-frigid temperatures are aggravated by strong winds that often lead to a negative-zero wind-chill factor. Such dramatic weather changes can leave skin dry and itchy, and in need of a strong barrier moisturizer.
Quote:
"Hard water contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron, which can dry and harden on the skin,"
Quote:
"The extra foam that soft water forms with soap is hard to rinse off," says Dr. Webster. "Residual soap raises the pH of the skin, which can irritate the skin and dry it out."
Quote:
"Excess perspiration can lead to skin dehydration,"
From: 10 Cities That Are Tough on Skin - EverydayHealth.com

From dry environment? Diving off the coast of Florida for long periods use to dry my skin out. Flippers and then walking in the sand would abrade my feet...

Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM

180 posts, read 457,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
the "ultimate" ingredient in Gold Bond is shea butter, way, way, way down the ingredient list. My doctor recommended it too, but I go for the pure stuff.

Yep, me too!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
the "ultimate" ingredient in Gold Bond is shea butter, way, way, way down the ingredient list. My doctor recommended it too, but I go for the pure stuff.
I'm using olive oil, beeswax, and a little tea tree oil to make a cream. Seems to work well. I'll look into shea butter..

Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM

104 posts, read 144,458 times
Default lol

One thing you can try is rubbing your heels on concrete outside somewhere, like back porch so you don't have a lot of questions. One of my porches has coarse and fine very close, I can get the heels smooth and then go in and hit them with some salve and wear a pair of sacrificial socks for a while so I don't leave salve-prints everywhere or slip on the hard floor. If I hit them every day with some goop they'd be fine, but I tend to let 'em go and then remediate.

There is a better way. Soak your feet in really warm water then take a foot paddle, the ones that look like a big oval file and scrape off the dead skin, after the soak it comes right off. Then apply a moisterizer with oils in it and put on white socks overnight.You can not just apply creams to cracked heels the dead skin prevents it from absorbing. You will have to do this every week to have good feet in dry climates.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:59 PM

25 posts, read 41,254 times
band aid /tape over gauze and Neosporin. if healed and dry : use athletic tape on area( I've taped the area/side of foot below little toe. This has "worked" for me to prevent those deep dry splits. if the tape is too adhesive, put a little gauze as buffer.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
My dermatologist prescribed a 40% urea cream that has been a blessing for my heels.... I also use plain old grocery store SUNFLOWER cooking oil as a skin balm. It works wonders for me and is touted as a curative by some web sources...

best-benefits-of-sunflower-oil-for-skin-hair-and-health/

I'm re-referring to this post because "the proof is in the pudding" so to speak. I use the urea cream on my heels a few times a week right after showering, along with the sunflower oil on my lower legs and the tops of my feet (and between the toes).

I once had split heels so painful I could barely walk at times. Haven't had that problem since I began my regimen several years ago. I used to have to "plane" my heels to remove the thick layer of dead skin. I did that right after a hot shower softened up the hoof-like heels using the sharp edge of a kitchen paring knife as the plane - held with the blade perpendicular to the skin as I scraped. Couldn't believe the amount of dead skin I removed with that method.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm re-referring to this post because "the proof is in the pudding" so to speak. I use the urea cream on my heels a few times a week right after showering, along with the sunflower oil on my lower legs and the tops of my feet (and between the toes).

I once had split heels so painful I could barely walk at times. Haven't had that problem since I began my regimen several years ago. I used to have to "plane" my heels to remove the thick layer of dead skin. I did that right after a hot shower softened up the hoof-like heels using the sharp edge of a kitchen paring knife as the plane - held with the blade perpendicular to the skin as I scraped. Couldn't believe the amount of dead skin I removed with that method.

That's not proof....

That's something you found on the internet from a site at:
StyleCraze Beauty Care Pvt Ltd,
3rd floor, Plot No.12, HUDA Techno Enclave,
Sector II, Hi-Tech City, Madhapur,
Hyderabad - 500081
From WebMD - Better information. Better health., "WebMD provides valuable health information, tools for managing your health, and support to those who seek information. You can trust that our content is timely and credible." I find at sunflower oil Side Effects & Safety

Quote:
Sunflower oil is safe when taken by mouth in appropriate amounts. It’s not known if applying sunflower oil to the skin is safe.
Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of sunflower oil during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Allergy to ragweed and related plants: Sunflower oil may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae plant family. Members of this family include ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many others. If you have allergies, be sure to check with your healthcare provider before taking sunflower oil.

Diabetes: A diet that is high in sunflower oil seems to increase fastinginsulin and bloodsugar levels. It also seems to increase after-meal blood fats. This might increase the chance of developing “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis) in people with type 2 diabetes.
Of course applying it to your feet might not be a problem.

And of course, you can try snake oil if you wish. I'm following my doctor's recommendations over a

Quote:
StyleCraze is your guide for everything related to Beauty. Get your daily dose of Beauty tips, Stay upto date on the Latest trends and get solutions for all your beauty queries.

With Hugs and Kisses, Chetana
Rich

Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Wheat Grass cream is very good for severe skin things, but it can be expensive. Read up on it at the 2nd link. Here's a recipe how to make it.

How to Make Wheatgrass Cream | eHow

Dr Wheatgrass Skin Recovery Cream 85ml

Old 11-22-2014, 01:06 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Default Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalley View Post
There is a better way. Soak your feet in really warm water then take a foot paddle, the ones that look like a big oval file and scrape off the dead skin, after the soak it comes right off. Then apply a moisterizer with oils in it and put on white socks overnight.You can not just apply creams to cracked heels the dead skin prevents it from absorbing. You will have to do this every week to have good feet in dry climates.
Yes; soak your feet, then remove the dead skin. I sometimes use the skin shredder on the heel and ball of my foot. Otherwise, I use the large emery paddle. Slather something on your feet and wear socks until it soaks in. I apply something different every week. One time I'll use coconut oil and the next Gold bond ultimate and so on. It doesn't seem to matter as long as I soak and get rid of the calluses. My feet would look like hooves--and hurt-- if I didn't do this. BTW, I need do this in the winter up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: