Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:44 PM

12 posts, read 71,645 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Tucson, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Chandler and Gilbert Arizona. I have lived in Arizona for 33 of my 37 years! The other four years of my life, I lived in Albuquerque NM (during high school). During that time, I made some of the best friends I could ever hope to have, it was the only place I felt at "home" , at peace and truely alive.

Primarily Being from Arizona, I do have some positive emotion and memories in Arizona, tons of friends and most of my Family here. However, I am now moving back to Albuquerque. I am tired of the traffic, heat and crime in Arizona! Many People lock themselves up in thier homes, try to "keep up with the Jones's" on the outside while, daily rushing around the city trying to just live thier life by getting from point A to point B.

I decided to write this message simply because I cant believe how many people on this forum are bashing Albuquerques crime rate, making it sound like a disgusting , dirty place. I am here to say, THAT IS SO FAR FROM THE TRUTH! Yes, There are some bad parts of town , as there are in ANY city.

Albuquerques North East Heights area is fabulous! I am building a custom home (where my entire neighborhood is upscale, homes in the million + range). The weather is seasonal, the air crisp, the people are down to earth and friendly, the city light views are amazing, mountain scape, sports oriented, hiking, biking, walking trails, tall green trees and healthy family lifestyles .

I feel Albuquerque is getting a bad rap. Obviously, every City has Pros and Cons. I feel if someone is planning a move to Albuquerque. Try the North East Heights. Just try it. You may fall in love again with life...... All the best.., MichelleAZ

Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 AM

271 posts, read 1,122,659 times
Every city, including the ones with the most crime like Saint Louis, Detroit, LA and New Orleans (using a few examples), have nice urban islands in which life is safer and comfortable, but those areas aren't accessible to the average person. The reputation of high crime index in a city, doesn't change because of the existence of those "islands" and doesn't prevent those cities from growing in population; so, there most be a trade off that attracts newcomers.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,668,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
Every city, including the ones with the most crime like Saint Louis, Detroit, LA and New Orleans (using a few examples), have nice urban islands in which life is safer and comfortable, but those areas aren't accessible to the average person. The reputation of high crime index in a city, doesn't change because of the existence of those "islands" and doesn't prevent those cities from growing in population; so, there most be a trade off that attracts newcomers.
Fortunately, this isn't the case in Albuquerque. The "good areas" or "islands" if you will are the norm, rather than the exception, and are wildly affordable to the everyday, normal person rather than just the affluent.

There are bad pockets of the city that shoot up crime rankings here, etc., but they are rather isolated and small. Most of the NE Heights, West Side, North Valley, Rio Rancho (granted this is a 'burb), and new very nice parts of new construction in the SE Heights are extremely safe and have extremely affordable areas.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,062,999 times
I've lived all over and there is basically good and bad in most places. People's experiences vary so let's not get personal or confrontational if you disagree or have had a different experience.

There are many wonderful things about Albuquerque but it also has some negatives and crime is one of them as is DWI stuff in general in New Mexico. The natural beauty is amazing here and the mixture of cultures and the natural spirituality is never ending.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 18,282 times
I lived in ALBUQUERQUE for about a year and got homesick for Austin Texas.I sure have good memories of living there but I was young and adventurous then and had no reason to stay.My job paid just over minumum wage and I never could afford to ski.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,993,582 times
Oh man. I could not even IMAGINE choosing Austin if I had the chance to be in Albuquerque seeing those mountains every day! I can't think of one single thing that Austin could offer me.

We really ARE all very different, aren't we?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 18,282 times
Well I grew up in and around Austin Tx and most partyers think Austin is the place to be;but,I prefer the climate in Alburquerque because the humidity in Austin is hell and there are no mountains around here.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
Gee, I'm glad the read the other POSITIVE posts about ABQ before I stumbled on this one. For those worried about ABQ and NM bashing, you might be happy to know that I found the posts on this forum under "Albuquerque" to be mainly positive and helpful, and still have ABQ on my list of cities to consider for relocation. Everyone's idea of "dangerous" and "unsafe" is based on personal experience and perception - my city, Tampa, is on the list of unsafe cities (albeit near the bottom), yet where I live, no one locks their doors.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I grew up in teh south end of albany, New York in the 50s and 60s. I know what "dangerous" means. I suggest that anyone woried about danger simply pay attention to the area of the town they are in and avoid the danger. It can be done.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 1,170,943 times
I agree that Albuquerque and NM takes a lot of bashing but I think a lot of
it is well deserved. Might want to turn on the local TV stations to check out
the crime there. Albuquerque is right up there with the big boys not to mention all the corruption in the state and local government. I think the state and Albuquerque has a lot of problems and some of the drivers there
in Albuquerque need to go back to drivers ed. Of course I rarely ever see
any cops patroling the freeways so why shouldn't they do what they want.
And lets see there are the DWI's. They are top notch at that one. You have
to admit NM and Albuquerque has a lot to be proud of. They are right up there on top. Also many of the people in Albuquerque are polite but I don't
feel they are as friendly as the midwest folks. I guess I wouldn't be either
if I always have to look over my shoulder to see whos trying to do me in.
Good luck with your move to Albuquerque. Might want to take a look at
Tucson first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico