Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
No, she moved back to Albuquerque where she lived before trying out Eldorado.
Oh, OK, thanks.

As one who looked at Santa Fe for YEARS.....I did have Eldorado in mind, too, but it was a bit too $$$--and too restrictive (pets, fencing, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
Eldorado does have a lot of walking/biking trails but it is in an exposed, windswept, and generally treeless area. A friend of mine who moved there and went for daily walks said she couldn't take the wind and the sand stinging her, so she moved away. She described her walks as being "sandblasted."
Another bit of great info almost impossible to find elsewhere. Now if I only had a method to remember all this stuff.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
I'd take that anecdote about Eldorado with a grain of salt. An anecdote is not data...

I was wondering if Eldorado would be that windy by NM standards, so I looked up the wind resource map. Doesn't look like it should be (it is in the light brown region), though it is windier than Albuquerque. And someone moving there from Albuquerque would experience *cold* relatively, which would make the wind a lot more annoying as well. Also when there was a lot of construction going on there might have been enough loose dirt for it to get airborne... but I go bike riding regularly on the "windswept treeless plain" around Carrizozo and I don't ever get pelted.

Many places (maybe all? ) in NM can experience occasional crazy high winds in the spring... 30+ sustained and 50+ mph gusts. Of course it is no fun being out in that... and dust *will* get picked up if it's that windy. Also it varies a lot depending on the year. Sometimes it's ~half the days in March and April, and other years it's much less frequent. So if a person moved to Eldorado from Albuquerque and experienced one of those windy springs, I can imagine they'd hate it.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I'd take that anecdote about Eldorado with a grain of salt. An anecdote is not data...
And being an "Old" pilot I have experienced wind speeds "80 m" above the ground all the way down to the ground in landings over a thousand times at various locations... (We only log our landings...).

For those who wonder what "80 m" above the ground is, it would be about 262 feet. That is the altitude above the ground that the chart shows the calculated/estimated the wind speed.

There typically a "ground affect" which is obvious at about one wingspan distance above the ground (about 33 feet in my plane).

I prefer to used valid data properly used...

So measured surface winds would be what I am concerned about. There are some airstrips with two windsocks, one at each end of the runway. The are for the "Bold" pilots.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Now if I only had a method to remember all this stuff.
Wind has been the most irritating meteorological issue with me here in New Mexico, I live in Rio Rancho, a few miles north of Albuquerque... But it has not been bad enough, often enough, to even consider moving...

Old 11-09-2014, 03:32 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:

I was wondering if Eldorado would be that windy by NM standards, so I looked up the wind resource map. Doesn't look like it should be (it is in the light brown region), though it is windier than Albuquerque. And someone moving there from Albuquerque would experience *cold* relatively, which would make the wind a lot more annoying as well. Also when there was a lot of construction going on there might have been enough loose dirt for it to get airborne...
This map is not helpful since it doesn't show surface winds. Also there is much more in the way of vegetation (trees, shrubs) in Albuquerque to buffer the wind versus a place like Eldorado, which is relatively barren, and where watering is highly restricted so that blowing dust and dirt is much more likely to result from even mild winds. In most of Albuquerque you can still have lawns and gardens which helps tamp down the dirt particularly in neighborhoods with mature landscaping. So even wind data don't tell the whole story as far as how it feels when you go for a walk. I think anecdotal information from someone who has lived in both places is very valuable. And yes, Eldorado is much cooler than ABQ year-round.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:37 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oh, OK, thanks.

As one who looked at Santa Fe for YEARS.....I did have Eldorado in mind, too, but it was a bit too $$$--and too restrictive (pets, fencing, etc.).
Eldorado is much more affordable than Santa Fe proper, and you get a lot more space, too. So I still think it is an attractive option if you need/want to be in the Santa Fe area.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Eldorado is much more affordable than Santa Fe proper, and you get a lot more space, too. So I still think it is an attractive option if you need/want to be in the Santa Fe area.
I would pick Eldorado over the more expensive parts of SF for sure.

I loved SF 30 years ago, but I'm not sure I would enjoy it that much now. If I go back to NM, it will probably be the Ruidoso area or Farmington-Aztec.

Believe it or not, I miss the Four Corners, but it's nice to be close to family, friends and where I grew up again.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:22 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
I think anecdotal information from someone who has lived in both places is very valuable.
So many things can influence a person's perception that have nothing to do with objective reality. Moods and attitudes. And if you only spent a short time in one of those places, you really can't tell anything about the climate. It varies a lot.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
So many things can influence a person's perception that have nothing to do with objective reality. Moods and attitudes. And if you only spent a short time in one of those places, you really can't tell anything about the climate. It varies a lot.
And I have met people who have lived in an area for years and still don't know the area.

Lets stop the bickering and stay on topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico